Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

At this stage, while it's looking unlikely to a lot of people that Glastonbury will be going ahead, let's just remember that even if it doesn't, by the time we get to late June the situation in the country will be looking far better, even if it didn't improve soon enough to save Glastonbury 2021. Surely we would all rather 2021 was sacrificed, if it meant protecting future Glastonburys being able to go ahead in the way we know and love.

Based on the latest estimations, by the time we reach the end of June, I'm sure the most vulnerable will be vaccinated and we will have a lot more freedom than we are experiencing currently. If we remember back to last summer and how gatherings were limited to 30, that to me is a big step towards normality and with the vaccine in tow, I'm sure that summer 2021 will be even more relaxed in terms of restrictions. 

Yes it's a massive shame if Glastonbury can't go ahead, i personally would be absolutely gutted, but it's not the be all and end all of everything, we will all be much more cheery, Glastonbury or no Glastonbury, once we are through the worst of the restrictions, which by June, I'm sure most of us can confidently say the worst will be behind us. We will also be safe in the knowledge that those of us with vulnerable loved ones can rest assured that they are not at risk of being impacted by this nasty bloody virus, which to me should be the biggest reassurance to us all that it's all going to be ok. Hang on in there people!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 7

The rise in numbers at the moment is understandably getting the headlines, and quite rightly so.  But they key bit to remember (and for some reason the news has gone quiet on) is that a vaccine is now in play and being distributed. With one or two more on the horizon and (I think?) at least one expected to be OK'd before the end of the year.

That was always going to be the critical thing. We've known for bloody months that a combination of incompetent government and peoples' behaviour meant we'd only be ever keeping it manageable until vaccine happened.  And now it's happening.

Fundamentally the only real core change has been the sign off and deployment of the Pfizer vaccine. And that's a good thing.

Timing was always going to be the issue for 2021, and that hasn't changed. I'm nowhere near 100% like Squirrel, but I'm definitely still on the half full side until something fundamental changes or is announced to take that down a notch.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I remain in awe at your optimism.

It's just arguably the main headliner saying Glastonbury does not feature in his schedule and that he doesn't believe it'll happen.

Thanks 😆

I don’t think that him being the main headliner for 2020 means he necessarily will know anymore. His organisers might have said months ago to GFL that he won’t play until this has all calmed down so don’t consider him for 2021, we don’t know. All he really knows is his own schedule and he doesn’t have Glastonbury on it which a few months ago we would’ve all thought was fair given his age/the pandemic. 

1 minute ago, tigger123 said:

At this stage, while it's looking unlikely to a lot of people that Glastonbury will be going ahead, let's just remember that even if it doesn't, by the time we get to late June the situation in the country will be looking far better, even if it didn't improve soon enough to save Glastonbury 2021. Surely we would all rather 2021 was sacrificed, if it meant protecting future Glastonburys being able to go ahead in the way we know and love.

Based on the latest estimations, by the time we reach the end of June, I'm sure the most vulnerable will be vaccinated and we will have a lot more freedom than we are experiencing currently. If we remember back to last summer and how gatherings were limited to 30, that to me is a big step towards normality and with the vaccine in tow, I'm sure that summer 2021 will be even more relaxed in terms of restrictions. 

Yes it's a massive shame if Glastonbury can't go ahead, i personally would be absolutely gutted, but it's not the be all and end all of everything, we will all be much more cheery, Glastonbury or no Glastonbury, once we are through the worst of the restrictions, which by June, I'm sure most of us can confidently say the worst will be behind us. We will also be safe in the knowledge that those of us with vulnerable loved ones can rest assured that they are not at risk of being impacted by this nasty bloody virus, which to me should be the biggest reassurance to us all that it's all going to be ok. Hang on in there people!

Out of upvotes, but very much this.

46 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record again, but this doesn’t change anything. It’s just one celebrity talking about the festival. He has no more information than any of us it seems.

He’s talking about a festival going ahead with no measures in place which would of course lead to increased cases. We know the festival is looking at testing as a means to be able to go ahead and if they did they would be able to test people before entry to ensure there COVID isn’t spread around the site. 

This doesn’t change anything at all, please try not to panic over this! 

Dude, give it a rest!

200.gif.dd401c668193a5e8d1bbbeecd07076c2.gif

37 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If Glastonbury goes ahead it’s almost certainly not going to feature the likes of him, Aerosmith, Taylor Swift etc, it will be a vastly different lineup but who cares?

Tbh if it goes ahead, it almost certainly will have Aerosmith, as if it does then their tour would be able to go ahead as well and is scheduled around Glastonbury.

9 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Dude, give it a rest!

200.gif.dd401c668193a5e8d1bbbeecd07076c2.gif

In the other thread we get people saying to be more positive and this one I get a slap on the wrist for it 😛

I’m just calling that article as I see it and I honestly don’t think it changes much. I’m trying to help when I say to people try not to worry!

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

In the other thread we get people saying to be more positive and this one I get a slap on the wrist for it 😛

I’m just calling that article as I see it and I honestly don’t think it changes much. I’m trying to help when I say to people try not to worry!

He's a touring musician who is talking to people whose job it is to arrange live music. He will know better than we do from reading the news about whether a festival is likely to happen, even if it's just marginally more.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

they would have had a very good idea of the likely maximum. But anyway, I don't see that as anything like similar.

I think a better comparison is how they underwrite flood insurance - where they know what the incidence of flooding is and so what their payout might be, but where it's something outside of their control. The govt do not legislate to create flooding.

The govt would be (or already have) legislating to cause festivals to cancel.

I guess if they did as you suggest though and link the restrictions directly to scientific metrics they could get around that. Festival can go ahead if cases = X, R = Y and hospital capacity = Z.

They don't (directly) control those so it could work. Not that I think they will, I think it's a pipe dream.

Have to say I'm edging towards hoping the festival don't "risk it" - it's just one year, and I would much rather be guaranteed Glastonbury happening for the next 10 years, than risk that to try and make it happen this year.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Another dead festival season is going to wipe out half of the industry for 2022 isn't it? If Glastonbury is worried about survival then for the rest of the scene it's looking pretty dire.

In theory, the smaller festivals/drive in gigs/hyde Park style stuff should be fine for the summer. Its just the much larger festivals.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

In theory, the smaller festivals/drive in gigs/hyde Park style stuff should be fine for the summer. Its just the much larger festivals.

This, also, given that GFL already do a couple of small format shows maybe they could organise a few more just to keep things ticking over.

Edited by Barney McGrew
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

This is the attitude I’ve been trying to adopt , regardless of whether or not it’ll be in a field in Somerset, I have the positive outlook that I’ll still be somewhere surrounded by friends, quite possibly off my nut for 5 days 

4 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

This, also, given that GFL already do a couple of small format shows maybe they could organise a few more just to keep things ticking over.

I think we might get some smaller mini festivals on the Eavis land ... it won’t need to involve other farmers and will give them a valuable income stream ... if the big one in June Is not able to happen 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I think we might get some smaller mini festivals on the Eavis land ... it won’t need to involve other farmers and will give them a valuable income stream ... if the big one in June Is not able to happen 

Aye, though I must admit to a chunk of wishful thinking as I'm near enough to be able to easily attend all the one dayers they cared to put on (if they did).

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He's a touring musician who is talking to people whose job it is to arrange live music. He will know better than we do from reading the news about whether a festival is likely to happen, even if it's just marginally more.

But the reality is nobody really knows anything including Glastonbury, hence why they’ve been in the news recently trying to force the issue on the government.

Its a pretty simple scenario, festivals need to start planning and paying for stuff but they can’t/don’t want to, without either some sort of financial guarantee, or certainty from the government they’ll be allowed to go ahead regardless.

The government haven’t said yes or no to that yet, so whether you’re Paul Macartney or one of us on here, your guess as to what the government will or won’t do is as good as anyone’s.

You can draw your own conclusions as to how likely it will be, but my guess is it’s not even a decision the government have made yet.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

After an initial surge of optimism with the vaccine news, my hopes are pretty low now. McCartney's view doesn't change that, or anything really, just a harsh dose of reality that I for one, have been blocking out.

These really are grim times. I really fear for the industry now, the Government need to sort their shit out and do something here, before it's too late.

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I agree with this. In the event of a full cancellation, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Arcadia and Shangri-La did something in their usual spots at different times of the year. And maybe an increased capacity Pilton Party?

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

How, though? No doubt Glastonbury have spoken to him 

I would suggest that, by that very fact, he has a bit more of an inkling about what plans might be, rather than us lot, dribbling on in a forum.