Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

they would have had a very good idea of the likely maximum. But anyway, I don't see that as anything like similar.

I think a better comparison is how they underwrite flood insurance - where they know what the incidence of flooding is and so what their payout might be, but where it's something outside of their control. The govt do not legislate to create flooding.

The govt would be (or already have) legislating to cause festivals to cancel.

Yeah, did think of that after I wrote it and that's a much better comparison.

22 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That's my exact read on it.

I think we will end up in a sad situation where the festival could have gone ahead as cases plummet in April-June but Glastonbury gets (understandably) nervous and pulls the plug.

But there's still some hope.

I think this may happen too, Michael and Emily wont want to risk it and will pull the plug but other festivals e.g. R+L, IOW, Download, Latitude etc. will hold it out as long as possible to see if the cases do drop off. I'm more than confident there will be a festival season in 2021, however I'm unsure if Glasto will be apart of it

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd hoped the wording I used would stop that sort of reply. 😛 

Yeah, I know Glastonbury's own confidence for pushing ahead is in the mix - but ultimately, what the situation is in June is in charge. Cos Glastonbury could decide to try and go ahead and the situation in June not be good enough.

I'm pretty confident the situation June will be good enough. The high covid rates of right now will have faded away by then even without the vaccine, just as flu fades away in the spring.

I'm less confident in Glastonbury pushing on, or in enough of the anti-covid measures being removed fast enough to make Glastonbury viable (because it really needs normal-normal and not near-normal).

Well you should have used better wording then 😜, like "What they situation is likely to be in June"!

But unfortunately, nobody has a crystal ball, so it's not about what actually happens in June, it's all about the organisers confidence levels

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Well you should have used better wording then 😜, like "What they situation is likely to be in June"!

But unfortunately, nobody has a crystal ball, so it's not about what actually happens in June, it's all about the organisers confidence levels

I've just woken up. Actually we agree, it's about two things isn't it? Whether they attempt to go ahead is about confidence now, whether that attempt is successful is about the situation in June.

However, given what's at stake I would have thought bailing early and then everything being fine is now likely than them betting the farm (literally and figuratively) on the festival being doable, but having to pull the plug in summer.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Well you should have used better wording then 😜

yep!

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

it's all about the organisers confidence levels

right now it is, but if they push ahead it'll be about what the situation will be in June. 😛 

I've already said that it's comparatively easy for the govt to boost the confidence levels, by giving an idea of their thinking for happens below tier one as the vaccine takes effect.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

yep!

right now it is, but if they push ahead it'll be about what the situation will be in June. 😛 

I've already said that it's comparatively easy for the govt to boost the confidence levels, by giving an idea of their thinking for happens below tier one as the vaccine takes effect.

Totally agree with it. They need to get on with it too.

You don't need a crystal ball as you're not making any predictions, you're simply saying if X and Y  happens we will open up Z. 

ir Paul McCartney has said that next year's Glastonbury Festival would be a Covid "super spreader", and he does not expect it to go ahead.

The former Beatle was supposed to headline the cancelled 2020 event.

Co-organiser Emily Eavis told the BBC this week that they were doing "everything we can" to make the festival happen in 2021.

The 78-year-old, however, told Radio 4's Today programme that Glasto is not currently in his diary.

"100,000 people closely packed together with flags and no masks, you know, talk about super spreader," said Sir Paul.

"I'd love it to be, but I have a feeling it's not going to be."

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

See graph above. Pfizer at least is already highly effective by the time you take your second dose.

Probably but not disputing that. Was simply pointing out one million per week as a target meant doses given, not completed courses of vaccine.

Woke up to the new that NI is going into strict lockdown from Boxing day for 6 weeks, Macca's statement, and then reading about the general government incompetence in the vaccine roll-out and all hope has just drained away.  I mean they had 6 months to get IT ready for basic recording and they can't even do that - GP's are taking written notes WTF?!!!!

Was positive fairly recently but I'm out now - its the hope that kills you and I can't do it anymore.  😢

16 minutes ago, Copperface said:

ir Paul McCartney has said that next year's Glastonbury Festival would be a Covid "super spreader", and he does not expect it to go ahead.

The former Beatle was supposed to headline the cancelled 2020 event.

Co-organiser Emily Eavis told the BBC this week that they were doing "everything we can" to make the festival happen in 2021.

The 78-year-old, however, told Radio 4's Today programme that Glasto is not currently in his diary.

"100,000 people closely packed together with flags and no masks, you know, talk about super spreader," said Sir Paul.

"I'd love it to be, but I have a feeling it's not going to be."

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record again, but this doesn’t change anything. It’s just one celebrity talking about the festival. He has no more information than any of us it seems.

He’s talking about a festival going ahead with no measures in place which would of course lead to increased cases. We know the festival is looking at testing as a means to be able to go ahead and if they did they would be able to test people before entry to ensure there COVID isn’t spread around the site. 

This doesn’t change anything at all, please try not to panic over this! 

I get a subscription music-biz newsletter (Record of the Day) which sometimes has some festival stuff. It's said this horrible horrible bit in the latest weekly newsletter... 

Mongrel wonders if a giant like Netflix or Amazon might step in with a considerable cash sum in the tens of millions that could then allow headliners such as Kendrick, Macca and Swifty to play their Pyramid Stage sets, perhaps to a small exclusive audience along the lines of what occurred at Gosforth Park racecourse during the summer, whilst also being streamed live to millions globally. In that interview with the BBC News website, Emily mentioned that the people behind Dua Lipa’s recently-lauded live stream were closely involved with Glastonbury staging in previous years, so a player with deep pockets could be a financial godsend that enables some incredible new outdoor moments down on Worthy Farm once more. And ultimately helps Glastonbury survive for the next few years. But right now, there sadly seems little real prospect of 200,000 people being able to mix freely with strangers, flowing from one area to another, this coming June.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record again, but this doesn’t change anything. It’s just one celebrity talking about the festival. He has no more information than any of us it seems.

He’s talking about a festival going ahead with no measures in place which would of course lead to increased cases. We know the festival is looking at testing as a means to be able to go ahead and if they did they would be able to test people before entry to ensure there COVID isn’t spread around the site. 

I remain in awe at your optimism.

It's just arguably the main headliner saying Glastonbury does not feature in his schedule and that he doesn't believe it'll happen.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You don't need to have insider info to know he's completely right. It's a pipe dream at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You're essentially right but I am a lot less optimistic than I once was 

Saying that, Macca could just be pessmisitic: he hasn't booked anything else in terms of gigs, unlike kendrick.

Also, do you have to pay a deposit to book a headliner? If so, then that could fit in to them not spending money on the festival until jan

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I remain in awe at your optimism.

It's just arguably the main headliner saying Glastonbury does not feature in his schedule and that he doesn't believe it'll happen.

He’s right though. He’s a 78 year old mega star with pots of cash, who had to be gradually coerced by his daughter to play the festival again under normal conditions in the first place.

If Glastonbury goes ahead it’s almost certainly not going to feature the likes of him, Aerosmith, Taylor Swift etc, it will be a vastly different lineup but who cares?

You can’t read anything at all into somebody in a very high risk group saying they can’t see the festival going ahead, he’s exactly right in what he’s saying based on the situation but he’s no more informed then any of us on that.