Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 million a week from end of january

done by end of july

with rapid testing we should be festivalling etc in August and September - especially since at the tail end of summer, seasonality should mean infections low anyway

its a completely non scientific prediction but i think its perfectly possible

come on oxford approval!

Will be too early for glasto but your end of august and start of september festivals should be confident of going ahead at this stage. 

Edited by Memory Man

27 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/primavera-sound-hold-successful-trial-for-live-music-events-without-social-distancing-2841244 whether or not you deem it scalable to Glasto, very very very pleased to see this.

But it's not a successful trial. Very misleading headline. Results known in January.

I'd very confident of small scale events by June, Festivals...pass.

Edited by xxialac

I'm not very confident that Glastonbury will go ahead next year, I'm afraid.  As the chancellor has only today gone and extended the furlough scheme yet again, until at least the end of April 2021!  This means it appears they will keep this social distancing and other restrictions malarky going until at least then.  And even then if they intend to definitely end these restrictions on 1st May, how far in advance are they actually going to announce that these restrictions will end?  It could be only just a week or two in advance!  Even if it's a month in advance and they announce it on 1st April, that could well be just all too late for Glastonbury and a whole load of other festivals to go ahead.

I'll not be going to Glastonbury next year anyway.  But I was intending to goto one or two other festivals, such as the Green Gathering in late July/early August.  But am not too confident even that festival will end up going ahead now.

21 hours ago, Memory Man said:

1 million a week from end of january

done by end of july

with rapid testing we should be festivalling etc in August and September - especially since at the tail end of summer, seasonality should mean infections low anyway

its a completely non scientific prediction but i think its perfectly possible

come on oxford approval!

Will be too early for glasto but your end of august and start of september festivals should be confident of going ahead at this stage. 

Two doses though. You've laid down 24 weeks. Double it.

6 hours ago, music fan said:

I'm not very confident that Glastonbury will go ahead next year, I'm afraid.  As the chancellor has only today gone and extended the furlough scheme yet again, until at least the end of April 2021!  This means it appears they will keep this social distancing and other restrictions malarky going until at least then.

Don't read too much into this. The budget is on 3rd March and it takes 45 days for big companies to make people redundant. Apparently it's to try and ensure companies don't have to begin laying people off before the budget which could contain help for businesses. 

7 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Confidence taken a dive today. 

we're right in the very worst of things at the mo, tho. It's not much of a surprise that confidence is lower, i've noticed previously that confidence tends to go up and down with the news.

It's not the situation now or our confidence that decides if the festival might be able to go ahead, it's what the covid situation is in June.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

we're right in the very worst of things at the mo, tho. It's not much of a surprise that confidence is lower, i've noticed previously that confidence tends to go up and down with the news.

It's not the situation now or our confidence that decides if the festival might be able to go ahead, it's what the covid situation is in June.

It's not though. The decision will have been made long before June.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not though. The decision will have been made long before June.

I'd hoped the wording I used would stop that sort of reply. 😛 

Yeah, I know Glastonbury's own confidence for pushing ahead is in the mix - but ultimately, what the situation is in June is in charge. Cos Glastonbury could decide to try and go ahead and the situation in June not be good enough.

I'm pretty confident the situation June will be good enough. The high covid rates of right now will have faded away by then even without the vaccine, just as flu fades away in the spring.

I'm less confident in Glastonbury pushing on, or in enough of the anti-covid measures being removed fast enough to make Glastonbury viable (because it really needs normal-normal and not near-normal).

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd hoped the wording I used would stop that sort of reply. 😛 

Yeah, I know Glastonbury's own confidence for pushing ahead is in the mix - but ultimately, what the situation is in June is in charge. Cos Glastonbury could decide to try and go ahead and the situation in June not be good enough.

I'm pretty confident the situation June will be good enough. The high covid rates of right now will have faded away by then even without the vaccine, just as flu fades away in the spring.

I'm less confident in Glastonbury pushing on, or in enough of the anti-covid measures being removed fast enough to make Glastonbury viable (because it really needs normal-normal and not near-normal).

That's my exact read on it.

I think we will end up in a sad situation where the festival could have gone ahead as cases plummet in April-June but Glastonbury gets (understandably) nervous and pulls the plug.

But there's still some hope.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That's my exact read on it.

I think we will end up in a sad situation where the festival could have gone ahead as cases plummet in April-June but Glastonbury gets (understandably) nervous and pulls the plug.

But there's still some hope.

Possibly why the festival is seeking government backed cancellation insurance ?  I’m still hopeful as well!

Just now, eFestivals said:

perfectly said. My take on it too.

The solution for government is to engage the insurance sector (Lloyds etc) to expertly calculate the risk for these big events and then for the government to underwrite it, just as they are underwriting the small business loans.

They won't.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Possibly why the festival is seeking government backed cancellation insurance ?  I’m still hopeful as well!

that would be the govt betting on their own future decisions.

I think that's an impossible thing for them to get into, when their decisions are based around something completely outside of their control.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that would be the govt betting on their own future decisions.

I think that's an impossible thing for them to get into, when their decisions are based around something completely outside of their control.

The govt signed up to e.g. the Eat Out to Help Out scheme not knowing what the uptake and thus cost would be.

Here they could in fact just pay the insurance premiums so they would have certainty of the cost of this.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The govt signed up to e.g. the Eat Out to Help Out scheme not knowing what the uptake and thus cost would be.

they would have had a very good idea of the likely maximum. But anyway, I don't see that as anything like similar.

I think a better comparison is how they underwrite flood insurance - where they know what the incidence of flooding is and so what their payout might be, but where it's something outside of their control. The govt do not legislate to create flooding.

The govt would be (or already have) legislating to cause festivals to cancel.