Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 minute ago, March Hare said:

You can decide to open a football stadium a week in advance. So it’s possible Glastonbury will be off and stadiums are full and no one did anything crazy. It’s moving so fast you can only make decisions with information you have in hand.

We are in agreement here. I understand that. 

My point is that Scotland, in particular, is going to be in full on party mode for weeks during the tournament yet Glastonbury may not be on due to Covid. I understand why this may happen, it just seems really stupid but is a sign of the times. 

Just now, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

We are in agreement here. I understand that. 

My point is that Scotland, in particular, is going to be in full on party mode for weeks during the tournament yet Glastonbury may not be on due to Covid. I understand why this may happen, it just seems really stupid but is a sign of the times. 

Well you never know, there will be a lot of pressure from various places for the Euros to go ahead with full crowds. Enabling that to be possible might just mean the Government creates a pathway that also makes it possible for everything else. 

47 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Mrs L lost 5 hospital colleagues to covid, youngest was in 30s. Many others have caught Covid, some becoming dangerously ill. She looks after seriously ill covid patients and is not yet scheduled to be vaccinated.

Really sorry to hear that. As I say I don't think this gets as widely reported as it used to, if at all. Really hope she gets vaccinated soon.

23 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

The Euros are in June. Scotland play England. Scotland have qualified for the first time in 23 years. 

The transmission risk of covid from 10th June until 10th July during this tournament will FAR supersede the risk during Glastonbury. Yet Glastonbury looks like it wont go ahead.

What great times we live in 

There's no guarantee the Euros will run with crowds, but it can still go ahead because of tv. 

5 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Agreed. Theyre not comparable.

Nobody is saying they are comparable (certainly not me). 

They will go ahead, and so they should. My point is that they will be a far greater risk to transmission of the virus than Glastonbury would (even if stadiums are shut - which they wont be). Yet they will go ahead, and Glastonbury may not. 

Edited by Billy Corgan's Ego

Of course they’re not comparable, but bearing in mind football is the national sport, it’s waaaayy more popular than festivals across the population, a number of games are at Wembley and football is massively devalued without fans there will be pressure on the government to make them happen with crowds, way more pressure than they’ll feel or care about from festivals.

So if the government make the Euros having crowds a point to work towards, that  might make events like festivals a little bit more possible or likely by association.

Unlikely, but not beyond the realms of possibility. 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Of course they’re not comparable, but bearing in mind football is the national sport, it’s waaaayy more popular than festivals across the population, a number of games are at Wembley and football is massively devalued without fans there will be pressure on the government to make them happen with crowds, way more pressure than they’ll feel or care about from festivals.

So if the government make the Euros having crowds a point to work towards, that  might make events like festivals a little bit more possible or likely by association.

Unlikely, but not beyond the realms of possibility. 

I actually think this is a great point and very undervalued.

Much of the government's problems is about optics.

And if football goes ahead with full stadiums as I expect then there is no longer the worry about a backlash on festivals as such events have become 'normalised'.

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I actually think this is a great point and very undervalued.

Much of the government's problems is about optics.

And if football goes ahead with full stadiums as I expect then there is no longer the worry about a backlash on festivals as such events have become 'normalised'.

In terms of the festival running this dysfunctional and split Tory party might help. If the daily death rate falls the government doesn’t have the votes in its own party to keep business closed

Just now, eFestivals said:

I remain confident the situation will be good enough by June for it to happen.

I'm less confident that it will happen, tho, because it doesn't sound like Glastonbury will be prepared to make that gamble.

Stadia are limited to an arbitrary 2k at the moment and even that is a huge leap/subject to backsliding. Whats possible isnt in question here at all.

Emily and Mick are doing their most fervent supporters a dirty by dragging this out imo, similar to last year. I realise Michael's stoicism and determination is in play here and respect that - but why drag out the inevitable.

Emily and Mick are doing their most fervent supporters a dirty by dragging this out imo, similar to last year. I realise Michael's stoicism and determination is in play here and respect that - but why drag out the inevitable.

because it's not over until it's over. And right now it's not over. The longer threy're able to hold out the better as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, covid is rampant at the moment, but this is flu season when everyone expected it would be. Things will look very different to now by June - perhaps not enough for Glastonbury, but it's definitely not impossible.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Stadia are limited to an arbitrary 2k at the moment and even that is a huge leap/subject to backsliding. Whats possible isnt in question here at all.

Why would they call it now when they don’t need to, yet, and the Government could very likely give them some clarity in Jan/Feb?

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Because you would have a drive to reduce people's contacts to minimize risk. Obviously systems would be need to be in place for people to meet new people, join new social groups, and yes, date. (Ironically the sort of system you would want already exists in Tinder/Bumble etc).

Again I don't think any of this would actually be necessary for COVID - it's just a thought experiment that if a pandemic with a much higher death rate came along that was entirely vaccine resistant, how we could/would react. 

I hear there are lots of great social groups for the over 50s ...

EDIT: Shitty joke about spam fyi

Edited by zero000

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

because it's not over until it's over. And right now it's not over. The longer threy're able to hold out the better as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, covid is rampant at the moment, but this is flu season when everyone expected it would be. Things will look very different to now by June - perhaps not enough for Glastonbury, but it's definitely not impossible.

Yep. Think a healthy dose of reality is needed however. The results of the vote on this thread would be laughed at by the forum regulars of years past Neil. You know this.

"Definitely not impossible" is a skilled semantic contortion of "...highly unlikely."