Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

I guess if testing is required maybe staggered arrival slots would help; not sure I'd be too happy if I landed a Friday morning slot mind but if entry is significantly delayed and social distancing prior to testing/entry is advised then it would make sense.

Personally, I'd rather the option of rolling over should significant changes be required. All or nothing!

Edited by Barney McGrew

14 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

I guess if testing is required maybe staggered arrival slots would help; not sure I'd be too happy if I landed a Friday morning slot mind but if entry is significantly delayed and social distancing prior to testing/entry is advised then it would make sense.

Personally, I'd rather the option of rolling over should significant changes be required. All or nothing!

Staggered arrival times would scupper those early arrivals who plan to dash for Pennards/Row Mead etc. 

5 hours ago, JoeyT said:

So yesterday I was speaking to one of our suppliers who works at Silver Hayes during the festival and on the day Pfizer released their efficacy results he was speaking to someone who is higher up the chain than him.

Basically he was told that the festival were planning on going ahead using mass PCR 15 minute testing at the gate regardless.

15 minute PCR test does not exist. Seems a pipedream🤔

Edited by Lycra

5 hours ago, JoeyT said:

So yesterday I was speaking to one of our suppliers who works at Silver Hayes during the festival and on the day Pfizer released their efficacy results he was speaking to someone who is higher up the chain than him.

Basically he was told that the festival were planning on going ahead using mass PCR 15 minute testing at the gate regardless.

Setup (supposedly) would be you do a test at the the point where your ticket is checked. Tickets will have a QR code on which will be scanned at the same time that you do your test so it then links the test to your ticket.

You would then be held in an area during which time they could carry out the usual bag checks for glass etc. 

After 15 mins or so you then go to wristbanding where they scan your ticket and have access to your test results. 

At this point you either get your wristband or don't...

Before I get piled in to about how the logistics of such an operation could / couldn't work I'm just passing on what I was told!

My personal view is this sounds a bit cut throat, imagine being about 5 metres from getting in to the festival only to be told you've failed your test but who knows! 

Youre clearly a well known and trusted contributor on here Joey, otherwise I would have slated this post as harebrained lunacy.

😘

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Youre clearly a well known and trusted contributor on here Joey, otherwise I would have slated this post as harebrained lunacy.

😘

:lol:

I'm happy for the story to be classed as lunacy mate. 

I'm taking with as big a pinch of salt as anyone believe me!

However having said that, I've just done some digging on the guy I was speaking to and the company he is involved with during the festival definitely would sit in a position where it would be privvy to information of this type.

Ultimately who knows! I guess like a lot of things surrounding the festival it's a massive game of chinese whispers...

Just now, JoeyT said:

:lol:

I'm happy for the story to be classed as lunacy mate. 

I'm taking with as big a pinch of salt as anyone believe me!

However having said that, I've just done some digging on the guy I was speaking to and the company he is involved with during the festival definitely would sit in a position where it would be privvy to information of this type.

Ultimately who knows! I guess like a lot of things surrounding the festival it's a massive game of chinese whispers...

Mate the plan could well be legit - not doubting your bonafides! That said, if they think this will work theyre insane.

Big fan of the people who fail the test being told by the wristband team.

Security: Mate, thanks for queuing with loads of others, being tested and put in a pen with another group of people and coming through to this area to get your wristband but you'll have to fuck off home.

Now..... who were you with?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

There’s no easy answer but I think the one thing they should do regardless of what route they go is give the option toll roll your ticket for 2022 if you do test positive either in the queue at the gates or the week before. 

I think that needs to be a blanket option if any sort of testing is a requirement to get in - the cost of travel to the festival can be pretty high (relative to the cost of a ticket) and some people probably can't afford the risk of paying to get there and getting turned away.

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

But it wont be spreading everywhere in June.

Depends if the vaccine actually stops you infecting others or not. If it doesn't, but we open everything back up again in April once the vulnerable are vaccinated so the death rate is way down, the virus will be everywhere.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Big fan of the people who fail the test being told by the wristband team.

Security: Mate, thanks for queuing with loads of others, being tested and put in a pen with another group of people and coming through to this area to get your wristband but you'll have to fuck off home.

Now..... who were you with?

Is it so very different to being told, no, you can't now board a plane/head into town now that you've arrived to see X relative because you've failed your Covid test?

That's happening today.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think that needs to be a blanket option if any sort of testing is a requirement to get in - the cost of travel to the festival can be pretty high (relative to the cost of a ticket) and some people probably can't afford the risk of paying to get there and getting turned away.

Depends if the vaccine actually stops you infecting others or not. If it doesn't, but we open everything back up again in April once the vulnerable are vaccinated so the death rate is way down, the virus will be everywhere.

If the latter is true then surely some kind of pre festival testing wouldn’t make sense? 

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Is it so very different to being told, no, you can't now board a plane/head into town now that you've arrived to see X relative because you've failed your Covid test?

That's happening today.

I appreciate your post was made sincerely - but it is a madness to even make this comparison.

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Does this graph look like the virus being everywhere next June?

There's everything to fear for the next couple of months but not by June - and this is all WITHOUT benefit of vaccines.

I appreciate your post was made sincerely - but it is a madness to even make this comparison.

I hear you but for some travelling abroad will be much more important (a funeral, wedding etc) than a music festival. And there's always next year for the latter.

If I was turned away, I'd be gutted but I knew about the rules before I came and I'd eventually just accept it as very bad luck. 
I could equally have fallen and broken my leg or become ill.

In both cases net result is I can't go.

Just now, xxialac said:

I hear you but for some travelling abroad will be much more important (a funeral, wedding etc) than a music festival. And there's always next year for the latter.

If I was turned away, I'd be gutted but I knew about the rules before I came and I'd eventually just accept it as very bad luck. 
I could equally have fallen and broken my leg or become ill.

In both cases net result is I can't go.

A more valid comparison is flying to Greece with your 4 kids and sombrero only to tested and turned away in the hotel carpark.

A more valid comparison is flying to Greece with your 4 kids and sombrero only to tested and turned away in the hotel carpark.

True.

In any case, think this is moot as I think it's far more likely testing will happen away from the site and everyone will e.g. have to e.g. upload their test result to the website to be able to come in.