Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

Hopefully that is just what they had been planning to do to try and get a festival to happen in the early stages ... so before most of the vaccines came into the equation ... so at that point they were trying to get it on with testing ... now they will be trying to get it to happen without ?! It’s on !! It’s just how now 

Just now, SwedgeAntilles said:

Think you'd get tested every time you re-entered the festival if you were camping in Tangerine Fields?

Buzzing to get into the festival fine Wednesday - Friday but then test positive on Saturday on my way to see Macca.

I think an element of this would be to show the authorities they are taking this seriously and 'for theatre'.

I'm sure if testing happens, once you're 'in', you're 'in'.

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Pass on this thread link to them and let them see the reality of the situation. 

I'm not sure if doing so and letting the mask of "i'm working really hard" slip is sensible...

99% of my posts on here are from when i'm supposed to be working :lol:

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Hopefully the testing idea is just a way to make sure it Definitely is happening and to get the ok from the relevant authorities. By June, id hope we would have enough vaccine distribution that it wouldn't be needed for a open air festival...

I’m in agreement here, I think it’s a precautionary thing to say “we’ve got this in place, so we can definitely go ahead. Although we shouldn’t need it” 

and I think festivals have been given this ultimatum of ‘go ahead with testing on the gate , or put the festival later in the year’ 

because penning people in for parklife would 100% not go down well in terms of space/makeup of the goers  

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm not sure why there would be resistance to testing from festivalgoers.

Seems like a pretty minor inconvenience if that's what it takes to get the go-ahead, especially if it can be done privately and in advance, as I still think is likely.

Depends how much it costs (if there is a cost) and the consequences of a fail? (ticket rolls over, ability to sell back to festival for re-sell, etc.)

If my family and I rock up to be told we can't came in then that's a grand in the balance!

Yes, tests may be more accurate then but can they ever be 100% accurate?

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm not sure why there would be resistance to testing from festivalgoers.

Seems like a pretty minor inconvenience if that's what it takes to get the go-ahead, especially if it can be done privately and in advance, as I still think is likely.

My worry is that if testing is needed and distancing is reduced to the point a festival can happen then LOADS of people will test positive from normal every day interactions because it will be spreading everywhere. That's a lot of people not allowed in, and not everyone is lucky enough to be able to isolate beforehand - if you work in a pub etc you'd have a very high chance of not being allowed in and it wouldn't be your fault. 

And for what reason? If you can do literally anything else (which will be the case if gatherings are allowed) you can catch it anywhere at any time so I dont see the reason for festivals or government caring about whether it's on site or not.

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

So yesterday I was speaking to one of our suppliers who works at Silver Hayes during the festival and on the day Pfizer released their efficacy results he was speaking to someone who is higher up the chain than him.

Basically he was told that the festival were planning on going ahead using mass PCR 15 minute testing at the gate regardless.

Setup (supposedly) would be you do a test at the the point where your ticket is checked. Tickets will have a QR code on which will be scanned at the same time that you do your test so it then links the test to your ticket.

You would then be held in an area during which time they could carry out the usual bag checks for glass etc. 

After 15 mins or so you then go to wristbanding where they scan your ticket and have access to your test results. 

At this point you either get your wristband or don't...

Before I get piled in to about how the logistics of such an operation could / couldn't work I'm just passing on what I was told!

My personal view is this sounds a bit cut throat, imagine being about 5 metres from getting in to the festival only to be told you've failed your test but who knows! 

Fascinating insight. 

I was in the “can’t see them testing to enter” camp but hey, seems like it’s well on the cards. If they can make it work then fair play. It would be gutting to be turned away on the gate, but hopefully with the vaccine rollout massively underway by then the virus should have much less chance of spreading.

Edited by jparx

I think that if they go down the rapid test on the gate option then it would cause people to be a lot safer/sensible in the build up. Hopefully meaning less positives? 

I know it’s not possible for everyone with work etc. But if the festival told me that there’s a chance I’ve waited 2 years, traveled 300 miles, spent X amount on booze just to be turned away then I can guarantee that I’d spend the 2 weeks leading up to it wrapped in bubble wrap! 

Just now, jparx said:

Fascinating insight. 

I was in the “can’t see them testing to enter” camp but hey, seems like it’s well on the cards. If they can make it work then fair play. It would be fitting to be turned away on the gate, but hopefully with the vaccine rollout massively underway by then the virus should have much less chance of spreading.

Whether or not the vaccine programme changes anything he was quite explicit in telling me that he'd been told the festival was preparing to go ahead with or without a vaccine due to the testing.

He did say that they'd been working with Melvin Benn on it so I assume the festivals he is involved in will be doing the same.

Just now, JoeyT said:

Whether or not the vaccine programme changes anything he was quite explicit in telling me that he'd been told the festival was preparing to go ahead with or without a vaccine due to the testing.

He did say that they'd been working with Melvin Benn on it so I assume the festivals he is involved in will be doing the same.

@Big durbs was also telling me similar relating to Melvin Benn and he has contacts in Silver Hayes  .... 

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I guess it gives them the position of saying “we’re happening regardless of the vaccine” and perhaps some more certainty. Might end up being a lot of money spent on something potentially not needed, but if it gives them the confidence to get underway with everything then great, and it’s great to see the industry being proactive. 

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

So yesterday I was speaking to one of our suppliers who works at Silver Hayes during the festival and on the day Pfizer released their efficacy results he was speaking to someone who is higher up the chain than him.

Basically he was told that the festival were planning on going ahead using mass PCR 15 minute testing at the gate regardless.

Setup (supposedly) would be you do a test at the the point where your ticket is checked. Tickets will have a QR code on which will be scanned at the same time that you do your test so it then links the test to your ticket.

You would then be held in an area during which time they could carry out the usual bag checks for glass etc. 

After 15 mins or so you then go to wristbanding where they scan your ticket and have access to your test results. 

At this point you either get your wristband or don't...

Before I get piled in to about how the logistics of such an operation could / couldn't work I'm just passing on what I was told!

My personal view is this sounds a bit cut throat, imagine being about 5 metres from getting in to the festival only to be told you've failed your test but who knows! 

My lord.

I work in care and and I spoke with our in house psychiatrist regarding why I always feel ill/cold like symptoms such as a sore throat prior to when I go to a festival.

Regardless if I feel excited, he said it's normally due to anxiety good or bad and my body taken a toll leading up to an event.

I'd be absolutely devastated if mine came back with a false positive and told to leave the site after travelling so long ffs 😂😂😂

13 hours ago, Lycra said:

How does the latest data on rapid tests only being 50% accurate play on this 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Hopefully their accurate will improve by Glasto time.....If it's not cancelled beforehand.

Actually the worst part of doing rapid tests at the gate is you've made 235,000 people travel often in close proximity in a contained environment before detecting covid positives. It's probably a worse scenario than a covid positive attending inside the fence 🤔

Yeah, and where are we putting people while they queue? If they're not spaced out I can't see it working. We all know the queue management at Glastonbury is not the most organised part of the operation at the best of times.

I can see mass testing working for smaller festivals, where they just mandate arriving by car, test you while you are in your car and parked up, and then give you the go-ahead to come in or go home after.

11 hours ago, xxialac said:

The precedent already exists at airports which is another reason to think they will simply copy the same model.

Tests are now available for £99 down from £149. The companies now are simply profiteering. By June with mass production and competition I'd be amazed if they cost more than £20.

My worry is that once the vaccine rolls out and is working, the need for tests is going to start disappearing. By June it seems like production would be ramping down, rather than up.

22 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

My worry is that if testing is needed and distancing is reduced to the point a festival can happen then LOADS of people will test positive from normal every day interactions because it will be spreading everywhere. That's a lot of people not allowed in, and not everyone is lucky enough to be able to isolate beforehand - if you work in a pub etc you'd have a very high chance of not being allowed in and it wouldn't be your fault. 

That's a really good point - plenty on here are advocating dropping all restrictions and distancing rules as soon as the vulnerable are vaccinated. Which essentially means loads of people will get it (but are much less likely to die from it). If that were to happen, it would likely be at the expense of keeping potential "super-spreader" events like big gigs and festivals closed.

I think those sorts of things are more likely to go ahead if some restrictions stay in place from April, and there's pre-event testing available.

It seems like it could be something of an either-or: a free-for-all at pubs, small gigs, restaurants etc. with arena gigs and festivals still off the table, or a slower relaxation of the rules that allows everything to operate with necessary precautions.

There is one huge caveat that no one is talking about. It is very difficult to get a ticket for Glastonbury when compared to other festivals. It’s always massively oversubscribed and sold out instantly. Being told you can’t attend at the last minute will cause a lot of problems at the gate. 

If testing is going to be even considered in advance of entry whether it’s before you travel or at the gate then how does GFL appease those unable to attend next year if they have the virus? They need to bring in a ticket rollover guarantee. I don’t think people would accept just a refund. 

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah, and where are we putting people while they queue? If they're not spaced out I can't see it working. We all know the queue management at Glastonbury is not the most organised part of the operation at the best of times.

I can see mass testing working for smaller festivals, where they just mandate arriving by car, test you while you are in your car and parked up, and then give you the go-ahead to come in or go home after.

My worry is that once the vaccine rolls out and is working, the need for tests is going to start disappearing. By June it seems like production would be ramping down, rather than up.

That's a really good point - plenty on here are advocating dropping all restrictions and distancing rules as soon as the vulnerable are vaccinated. Which essentially means loads of people will get it (but are much less likely to die from it). If that were to happen, it would likely be at the expense of keeping potential "super-spreader" events like big gigs and festivals closed.

I think those sorts of things are more likely to go ahead if some restrictions stay in place from April, and there's pre-event testing available.

It seems like it could be something of an either-or: a free-for-all at pubs, small gigs, restaurants etc. with arena gigs and festivals still off the table, or a slower relaxation of the rules that allows everything to operate with necessary precautions.

The majority of the country has a neutral to negative view of live music and especially festivals, so I think we know which way that decision would go...

To be fair if we're collectively worried about the virus spreading amongst the non vulnerable then we need the same restrictions as now until everyone is vaccinated. This is the big question really for whether gatherings happen in June at all. 

Then we have the issue of if the vaccine doesnt prevent spread, only bad symptoms. Is that longer term gigs and festivals off the table? Because then you'd have to test everyone...

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, Chawk said:

There's no such thing as 15 min PCR. I think they mean antigen which only detects people with higher viral load and is less accurate

To be fair a minuscule number will be at risk of dying by then so does it matter that much? We're never getting rid of this virus, that's not what this vaccine is supposed to do