Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

19 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

As far as I remember it always seems to have Qs that’s why I’ve never made it ... a carrot used to be an entry requirement or mayb a q jump ... not sure how much that applies now 

We got in last year by chance, but I think that's only because we didn't see Stormzy so the park was relatively empty. 

It was great fun.

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

did you need a password ? or carrots ?

Nope. Just queued for a bit. We did have to do some crawling but got offered free sugar cubes. 

Really loved exploring the park that whole evening. Ended up in some sort of tree house as well, is that a thing? We had to go up some stairs.

18 hours ago, Obiginnaw said:

It’s also occurred to me today, everyone seems to be having this idea that we MUST be good to go by March because that’s when the build starts 

it can’t be tooo adventurous to assume that if the vaccine can come out quickly by working in parallel , why can’t the site? I’m not a builder or events manager but if the green light of it going ahead was delayed until April/ even Early May then there’s still feasibly got to be a way to make it happen?

I too thought this, I think it’s the farmhands that start the build, is it March so they don’t rush? Could they get more people involved to do it later if needed? I’m sure they’ll have a plan in place. I would imagine a festival of that size would have advisors updating them constantly. Given it brings in 100 million to charities and local businesses I think they will want it to go ahead. Whether it can be justified is another issue I guess 😕 

im remaining positive! 

6 hours ago, Claire0406 said:

I too thought this, I think it’s the farmhands that start the build, is it March so they don’t rush? Could they get more people involved to do it later if needed? I’m sure they’ll have a plan in place. I would imagine a festival of that size would have advisors updating them constantly. Given it brings in 100 million to charities and local businesses I think they will want it to go ahead. Whether it can be justified is another issue I guess 😕 

im remaining positive! 

I think that's what's been said here before. In a normal year they start in late March/early April but there's no reason to believe that's a fixed date. 

With a bit of planning I think they could fairly easily compress the build timeline from the current 12 (ish) weeks, maybe buy themselves another month if necessary.

18 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Nope. Just queued for a bit. We did have to do some crawling but got offered free sugar cubes. 

Really loved exploring the park that whole evening. Ended up in some sort of tree house as well, is that a thing? We had to go up some stairs.

That must have been the Wormhole, which was new last year. Modern jazz at night, yoga during the day 

8 hours ago, Claire0406 said:

I too thought this, I think it’s the farmhands that start the build, is it March so they don’t rush? Could they get more people involved to do it later if needed?

As far as I understand it, the early build starts with people who're either on the farm or there regularly anyway. The lady gets her dress on early, but that's all done within a few days by a limited crew, outdoors. I think the stage of the build most at risk is probably mid-May onwards, when numbers swell and things get more intense. Even then, this is an outdoor build by skilled workers who know what they're doing and often get their bits done quickly (apart from Joe Rush, who should have started on the pier already).

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, kalifire said:

As far as I understand it, the early build starts with people who're either on the farm or there regularly anyway. The lady gets her dress on early, but that's all done within a few days by a limited crew, outdoors. I think the stage of the build most at risk is probably mid-May onwards, when numbers swell and things get more intense. Even then, this is an outdoor build by skilled workers who know what they're doing and often get their bits done quickly (apart from Joe Rush, who should have started on the pier already).

That last bit tickled me😂

Like everyone’s been saying, every month counts at the moment and giving us that extra little bit of a buffer has to be another positive sign.  I remain hopeful, Though I’ve potentially made the mistake of already deciding it’s happening in my head and letting the excitement go wild 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/matt-hancock-covid-vaccine-programme-england-tier-system-784749

Matt Hancock says vaccine will loosen Covid tiers before end of March

Health Secretary tells Telegraph jab 'will bring forward the moment when we can get rid of these blasted restrictions'

Unfortunately Hancock is proven to be full of shit.

On 12/5/2020 at 2:09 PM, Obiginnaw said:

It’s also occurred to me today, everyone seems to be having this idea that we MUST be good to go by March because that’s when the build starts 

it can’t be tooo adventurous to assume that if the vaccine can come out quickly by working in parallel , why can’t the site? I’m not a builder or events manager but if the green light of it going ahead was delayed until April/ even Early May then there’s still feasibly got to be a way to make it happen?

Isn't it more that there must be enough certainly about it going ahead by March in order to start spending big money on the site build?  I agree that the build can easily go ahead without the crew being vaccinated. It's well ventilated, being built outside and all and there's a good chance of a more robust testing scheme being in place by then.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Isn't it more that there must be enough certainly about it going ahead by March in order to start spending big money on the site build?  I agree that the build can easily go ahead without the crew being vaccinated. It's well ventilated, being built outside and all and there's a good chance of a more robust testing scheme being in place by then.

I wonder if they can delay spending the big money by a few weeks. Announce its going ahead at end of Jan with another "abort"/cancellation decision built into balance day in April. 

That would still cost them, but not as much as it could do.

I would genuinely be interested in how many phases of the build are actually dependent on earlier tasks being completed. A lot of it could be done concurrently if you enough people

43 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I would genuinely be interested in how many phases of the build are actually dependent on earlier tasks being completed. A lot of it could be done concurrently if you enough people

As best I can tell, the early (ie before the fence and first security crews arrive in early May) tasks usually only really consist of basic things like dressing the Pyramid, setting up the Long Drops, and marking certain things out. Maybe a few individual crews might also turn up to get a head start but I doubt any of that is necessary.

This is how the site looked mid afternoon on 1st May 2019 (8 weeks to the day before gates opened) - the Pyramid is dressed and the stage starting to be put in place, the ribbon tower is just starting to go up, the long drops (within camera shot) are done, and there's a handful of people in the Greenpeace field. Even the Arcadia crane isn't in place yet, although it looks like they'd started to prep the ground.

Aside from that, the site looks much like it does right now. I'm pretty sure none of that absolutely needs to take place so early, it's just a case of getting a head start while things are quiet.

4 hours ago, incident said:

Maybe a few individual crews might also turn up to get a head start but I doubt any of that is necessary.

'm pretty sure none of that absolutely needs to take place so early, it's just a case of getting a head start while things are quiet.

This is pretty how it goes, some crews want to get early access to start the build there, before they have to go into other events to build/derig and then come back to Glastonbury to finish off etc.

17 hours ago, kalifire said:

I was onsite on the Tuesday last year and walked past the Pier at about 6pm and it was still very much a building site! 

Was amazed that they had it done ready for the following day...