Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

The collective attendances of every other festivals in England is significantly larger than Glastonbury, so if something were to happen it would be far more likely to happen at another festival. If it did happen at Glastonbury then it would be ridiculous to make a thing of it. We’re either subject to controls, or we aren’t. 

42 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I mean let's have it right, if they let the Euro's and Wimbledon go ahead at full capacity but not major music festivals, that's absolutely ridiculous and another huge kick in the balls for the industry 

There's a huge difference in sanitation between those events. And handwashing is still likely to be important. Plus those events you're seated in a specific space so test and trace can work.

Not saying festivals shouldn't go ahead, but we're kidding ourselves if we think Glasto is just as safe as Wimbledon. 

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

There's a huge difference in sanitation between those events. And handwashing is still likely to be important. Plus those events you're seated in a specific space so test and trace can work.

Not saying festivals shouldn't go ahead, but we're kidding ourselves if we think Glasto is just as safe as Wimbledon. 

I can't comment on Wimbledon but as someone who has regularly attended football matches for about 16 years, I can assure you that sanitation is not much better than Glastonbury. Sometimes arguably worse, at away matches. 

I completely get your point but with the Euro's they're gonna be attended by a lot of people; 90,000 at Wembley for example. Just because they're in specific seats (supposedly), doesn't make it any safer. They're all next to each other, as people at festivals are. If anything, the way Glastonbury's ticket system is run, that would be easier to 'trace' than football, where a big chunk of tickets are sold on numerous times

Edited by mufcok

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I’d say it’s swings and roundabouts. At Wimbledon you sit with in the same close proximity of the same people for hours on end. Probably a much higher chance of infecting a lower amount of people vs a lower chance of a higher amount of people at Glastonbury. Wimbledon also goes on for what, two weeks?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I can't comment on Wimbledon but as someone who has regularly attended football matches for about 16 years, I can assure you that sanitation is not much better than Glastonbury. Sometimes arguably worse, at away matches. 

I totally agree with you but the trouble is, for some fucking bizarre reason, the rank behaviour of football fans is not really challenged or shed a light on. For some reason there’s just a blind eye on it, yet the mere mention of Glastonbury instantly has people turn up their nose. I’ve seen more rank stuff at football matches than at Glastonbury, by some distance...

Edited by jparx

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I totally agree with you but the trouble is, for some fucking bizarre reason, the rank behaviour of football fans is not really challenged or shed a light on. For some reason there’s just a blind eye on it, yet the mere mention of Glastonbury instantly has people turn up their nose. I’ve seen more rank stuff at football matches than at Glastonbury, by some distance...

Bang on. And yes, you and me both

Just now, mufcok said:

Right, but you don't stay there for 5 days, it's not even 5 hours. Then you go home to running water and showers!

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’d say it’s swings and roundabouts. At Wimbledon you sit with in the same close proximity of the same people for hours on end. Probably a much higher chance of infecting a lower amount of people vs a lower chance of a higher amount of people at Glastonbury. 

That's fair, but the difference is in traceability - if you get ill afterwards a contact tracer can find out who you sat next to at Wimbledon. They can't find out who you were stood next to in front of Foals. In theory the app could help here but I have a feeling you phone battery wouldn't even last the day with the sheer number of flags it would be picking up.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Right, but you don't stay there for 5 days, it's not even 5 hours. Then you go home to running water and showers!

That's fair, but the difference is in traceability - if you get ill afterwards a contact tracer can find out who you sat next to at Wimbledon. They can't find out who you were stood next to in front of Foals. In theory the app could help here but I have a feeling you phone battery wouldn't even last the day with the sheer number of flags it would be picking up.

Surely that’s irrelevant though, and why it’s swings and roundabouts? The event itself goes on for two weeks, with various different people attending every day. What’s the difference between one infected person being at Glastonbury for five days, compared to a different infected person visiting Wimbledon every day for two weeks?

I suppose it depends what you’re looking at, Wimbledon will he lower risk from a personal perspective as individually you’re there for less time, but as an event as a whole then anybody who is infected will very likely infect others while they’re there, in the radius of where their seat is located and that could happen every day for two weeks. 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ha ha :) deliberate ? Hopefully this year will be a year without flags 

It wasn't but that could work "hello mate, track and trace here, we've had a report that I Heart Sausages has symptoms and is self isolating - were you nearer there or the Wolves flag during Taylor Swift?"

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Surely that’s irrelevant though, and why it’s swings and roundabouts? The event itself goes on for two weeks, with various different people attending every day. What’s the difference between one infected person being at Glastonbury for five days, compared to a different infected person visiting Wimbledon every day for two weeks?

I suppose it depends what you’re looking at, Wimbledon will he lower risk from a personal perspective as individually you’re there for less time, but as an event as a whole then anybody who is infected will very likely infect others while they’re there, in the radius of where their seat is located and that could happen every day for two weeks. 

Because soap kills the virus and something like Wimbledon likely has more chance to actually put more hand sanitising stations and such in place, in a way that would be more difficult at Glasto (plus using just alcohol based hand sanitiser multiple times a day for five day can screw your skin up).

Not to mention the front of any Glasto stage before a headliner will have people much more tightly packed and in close contact with each than in seats at Wimbledon.

It can't come down to capacity, because the Euro's and Wimbledon will have bigger capacities over the 2/4 weeks they are on. So if it's gonna come down to hygiene/sanitisation, then I'm pretty sure Glastonbury would be willing to go above and beyond with this, to comply with what's required. They are more than capable of installing a large amount of sanitisation stations that are regularly checked/refilled, along with additional water points if required. Aside from that, as with any walk of life, it's up to individuals to use common sense and look after themselves/others

If Glastonbury isn't allowed to go ahead, due to hygiene concerns, yet mass sporting events are, then it's the end of festivals completely. What's the alternative, wait until the whole world is vaccinated? Never happening.

17 minutes ago, mufcok said:

It can't come down to capacity, because the Euro's and Wimbledon will have bigger capacities over the 2/4 weeks they are on. So if it's gonna come down to hygiene/sanitisation, then I'm pretty sure Glastonbury would be willing to go above and beyond with this, to comply with what's required. They are more than capable of installing a large amount of sanitisation stations that are regularly checked/refilled, along with additional water points if required.

Are they? Water is limited by the amount in the reservoir, which became an issue last year. There's certainly not enough for everyone to wash their hands for two happy birthdays every time they use the long drops.

And even with the existing sanitisation stations, they often weren't filled.

I know people are desperate to believe that Glastonbury will happen but I don't think Wimbledon or sports events are suitable barometers is all. 

Whilst hand washing is important, it’s not a magic wand. Washing your hands at Wimbledon won’t prevent somebody sitting in their seat for two-three hours breathing virus particles out onto those sitting around them for them to breath in.

Obviously washing hands is still important anywhere including Glastonbury, but, it’s in a field with far less physical permanent objects to touch and spread germs onto and for people to pick up. All food and drink stuff is disposable, what do you actually touch at Glastonbury, the long drop door every now and then? 

The main issue for spread of the virus at Glastonbury or Wimbledon or indeed any event is going to be people coughing and breathing virus particles out and people breathing them in. Hand washing will have far more benefit in actual physical venues, but still isn’t going to stop it spreading. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I would expect this would be made a priority next year. Also reckon most folk would bring their own supplies, we’ve always done that anyway.

Yep agree on this plus I think the staff will probably wear masks and the use encouraged if you’re in an enclosed space (don’t expect lots to take that up though)

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I know people are desperate to believe that Glastonbury will happen but I don't think Wimbledon or sports events are suitable barometers is all

At this stage the only answer either way is we can't be sure. We simply don't know how fast the vaccination scheme will roll out or how that will impact on pressure in hospitals.

Hopefully fast and quickly!

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Billie Eilish has announced she won't tour next Summer after all as not financially viable.

It's hard to see that as a good sign.  : (

That's not really how I read that announcement - more likely the logistics of doing a world tour next summer are going to be too difficult and she'd rather refund her fans. I don't think that really has any bearing on singular events like Glastonbury - although certainly I think we might get a slightly stranger line up than recent years..

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Billie Eilish has announced she won't tour next Summer after all as not financially viable.

It's hard to see that as a good sign.  : (

The way I see it is the mega artists with pots of cash don’t need to play, so many just won’t bother.

For all the other artists they’ll be absolutely desperate to play, as although many of them will be wealthy by normal terms they’ll have lifestyles to maintain and touring and playing festivals is their main source of income.

I will be absolutely delighted if we end up getting a festival, just missing the Kanye/Beyoncé type names at the top of the bill. 

18 hours ago, jparx said:

As someone who both enjoys gigs and football matches - I can't agree with that.

Football fans feel very much victimised and looked down on by the Government, as much as gig-goers - Hillsbrough, anyone?

• Upvote 5

53 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The way I see it is the mega artists with pots of cash don’t need to play, so many just won’t bother.

For all the other artists they’ll be absolutely desperate to play, as although many of them will be wealthy by normal terms they’ll have lifestyles to maintain and touring and playing festivals is their main source of income.

I will be absolutely delighted if we end up getting a festival, just missing the Kanye/Beyoncé type names at the top of the bill. 

I'm happy regardless of who headlines the main stage. I just want the festival to take part. 

IF there is no ability for the 'Mega' stars to appear does that make it less attractive to the BBC and other global media outlets who pay to show the coverage.

Could this be a factor in the festival taking place?