Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

25 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

Roskilde - our 50th anniversary friends - just announced some acts with this message:

We are cautiously optimistic about conducting a festival this summer. That’s why we think it’s appropriate to announce some new music and art now. We want to show that you have something to look forward to.”

Roskilde qualified that with this:

We continue the planning of the 2021 festival even though COVID-19 is still a serious worldwwide threat to the general health. Even though we are not sure which type of festival we can arrange in 2021, we will not rule out this summer's festival events.

And this is what they are actively looking at

"New testing and screening options: Before, during and after events using the public testing capacity as well as screening using reliable rapid tests.

Registration of all guests and active infection tracking, including requirements for documentation of negative test results before participation.

Initiatives with a focus on increased hygiene and cleaning as well as the use of, for example, face masks and fever scanning at the entrance.

Behavior regulation through crowd management."

Edited by Copperface

Threw an upvote @Mimo's way. Thought a well thought out, considered post like that didn't deserve a downvote just cause it's the opposite of what we want to hear/believe. 

Given the year we'll all had I think it makes sense to retain a sense of cautiousness until we see how the rollout goes over the coming weeks.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Threw an upvote @Mimo's way. Thought a well thought out, considered post like that didn't deserve a downvote just cause it's the opposite of what we want to hear/believe. 

Given the year we'll all had I think it makes sense to retain a sense of cautiousness until we see how the rollout goes over the coming weeks.

Absolutely agree !! 

9 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

100% agree with this. Ever since the first posts about coronavirus last year it's been the case that people who feel more cautious and pessimistic about the festival's chances get immediately leaped on by the positivity crew for being downers. We all have different feelings about this and I thought the point of the forum was to debate and discuss them.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but we have a way to go so let's not attack anyone who suggests as much.

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2020 at 3:43 PM, jparx said:

How long would the need for these passports last? Surely once you reach the point where 60%+ have had the vaccine, the actual circulation of the virus will be so negligible we can finally move on? They’re only a short term thing surely?

Heard someone on the radio this morning talking, not specifically about immunity passports, but about the requirement to have been vaccinated to work in certain roles. These would facilitate verification of vaccination and boosters etc in that situation.

55 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

There was also a chunk of misinformation in the post which led to some of the conclusions drawn which it is right to point out imo.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

There was also a chunk of misinformation in the post which led to some of the conclusions drawn which it is right to point out imo.

Yes, there is one thing being pessimistic and another saying stuff that just isn’t true.

Whether you’re generally positive or negative about things the commonality is we should all stick to the facts.

The thing people took issue with was saying “let’s face it, if you get Covid it’s very likely to wipe you out” Which is patently false. 

• Upvote 1

With vaccines getting rolled out ''in a matter of hours, not days'', that seems like a wild answer to me in early December, over 6 months in advance.

If they're insisting 'young' people are vaccinated then that doesn't just affect Glastonbury/festivals, that effects a lot of stuff; sporting events, bars/clubs, hospitality in general. I can't see that being the case. The whole mantra from the start, and main concern, has been around overwhelming the NHS. The vast majority of young people wouldn't need to go to hospital, should they get it. Unless the uptake from people over 50 is incredibly low, then they have to return things to normality, or close, when the roll out has been underway for 3/4 months.. surely? You've also got the point of how much there is to go round. I'm 32 and, touch wood, have no underlying conditions. I'll be amazed if I'm offered anything before late 2021, at the earliest

Edited by mufcok
  • Upvote 1

Once sufficient numbers of people have been vaccinated above 50 and in at risk groups, then the risk of Covid to the general population will be less than a number of other things we live with already. It could still make you seriously ill and kill you, but it very likely won’t. The freedoms of 66m people won’t continue to be curtailed and the economy continue to be shafted to protect a small number of very unfortunate people.

That might sound harsh but I don’t mean it to be, that’s how life worked pre Covid and it’s how it worked in the summer when they urged everybody to go to a Wetherspoons. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Once sufficient numbers of people have been vaccinated above 50 and in at risk groups, then the risk of Covid to the general population will be less than a number of other things we live with already. It could still make you seriously ill and kill you, but it very likely won’t. The freedoms of 66m people won’t continue to be curtailed and the economy continue to be shafted to protect a small number of very unfortunate people.

That might sound harsh but I don’t mean it to be, that’s how life worked pre Covid and it’s how it worked in the summer when they urged everybody to go to a Wetherspoons. 

Don’t think it sounds harsh - it’s just reality. 

• Upvote 1