Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

Not wanting to be a debbie downer but I think that large events next summer are still very much touch and go, particularly those at the start of the season.

I really hope I'm wrong, we're getting married in June (delayed 12 months) and the festival is gonna be our honeymoon, but let's face it there are still an awful lot of hurdles to cross between now and then.

I can't see everything going straight back to normal as soon as the most vulnerable are inoculated. The virus would rip its way through the remaining population and in high numbers it would still have the potential to kill a lot of people and leave tens of thousands sick for months perhaps indefinitely. Don't forget it's not just some nasty cold, it will most likely fuck you up for a few weeks at least. Plenty of healthy people in their 20s and 30s are being hospitalised.

So most of us are gonna need to be vaccinated first and that's gonna take a while, they're currently floating the figure of 1 million vaccinations a week. About 40/50 million (?) of us need to be vaccinated for herd immunity and we all need to take the vaccine twice 2 weeks apart... Would they let a festival go ahead if the majority of attendants are not immune? I can't see it.

For Glastonbury to go ahead we'd need to be in a position whereby absolutely all restrictions are completely lifted. It might be outdoors and in the summer, but you spend a lot of time bunched up very close to many thousands of other people for extended periods of time so the virus could definitely still spread there. One super spreader could infect hundreds. Festivals have had outbreaks before, indeed the reason Glastonbury has litres of hand sanitiser everywhere is to help prevent them. I know I've heard an Eavii speak in the past about the fear of needing to abandon due to an outbreak. Are they really going to take that risk?

Let's say maybe herd immunity could be reached by June, the festival would need to know for certain that would definitely be the case 3 months in advance. They can't afford to start building only to get cancelled, and they'll definitely struggle to get insured against it.

I reckon we'll most likely have a gradual return to normal, first pubs and restaurants come back, then weddings and parties, then nightclubs and local concert venues, then finally large events once the danger of outbreaks is much diminished.

Soooo imo it's still far too premature to start getting excited about 2021. We might well need to be patient until 2022. 

*ducks*

Sorry! I just don't want everyone to get super excited only to then feel completely gutted again. There's been far too much feeling gutted this year, it sucks. Better for a happy surprise if it does get the go ahead.

End of the day we should be celebrating that we know festivals are definitely coming back! I can't wait to be at Glastonbury again and all married up too. That day is definitely coming 🙂

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Mimo said:

Not wanting to be a debbie downer but I think that large events next summer are still very much touch and go, particularly those at the start of the season.

I really hope I'm wrong, we're getting married in June (delayed 12 months) and the festival is gonna be our honeymoon, but let's face it there are still an awful lot of hurdles to cross between now and then.

I can't see everything going straight back to normal as soon as the most vulnerable are inoculated. The virus would rip its way through the remaining population and in high numbers it would still have the potential to kill a lot of people and leave tens of thousands sick for months perhaps indefinitely. Don't forget it's not just some nasty cold, it will most likely fuck you up for a few weeks at least. Plenty of healthy people in their 20s and 30s are being hospitalised.

So most of us are gonna need to be vaccinated first and that's gonna take a while, they're currently floating the figure of 1 million vaccinations a week. About 40/50 million (?) of us need to be vaccinated for herd immunity and we all need to take the vaccine twice 2 weeks apart... Would they let a festival go ahead if the majority of attendants are not immune? I can't see it.

For Glastonbury to go ahead we'd need to be in a position whereby absolutely all restrictions are completely lifted. It might be outdoors and in the summer, but you spend a lot of time bunched up very close to many thousands of other people for extended periods of time so the virus could definitely still spread there. One super spreader could infect hundreds. Festivals have had outbreaks before, indeed the reason Glastonbury has litres of hand sanitiser everywhere is to help prevent them. I know I've heard an Eavii speak in the past about the fear of needing to abandon due to an outbreak. Are they really going to take that risk?

Let's say maybe herd immunity could be reached by June, the festival would need to know for certain that would definitely be the case 3 months in advance. They can't afford to start building only to get cancelled, and they'll definitely struggle to get insured against it.

I reckon we'll most likely have a gradual return to normal, first pubs and restaurants come back, then weddings and parties, then nightclubs and local concert venues, then finally large events once the danger of outbreaks is much diminished.

Soooo imo it's still far too premature to start getting excited about 2021. We might well need to be patient until 2022. 

*ducks*

Sorry! I just don't want everyone to get super excited only to then feel completely gutted again. There's been far too much feeling gutted this year, it sucks. Better for a happy surprise if it does get the go ahead.

End of the day we should be celebrating that we know festivals are definitely coming back! I can't wait to be at Glastonbury again and all married up too. That day is definitely coming 🙂

https://accessaa.co.uk/culture-secretary-says-easter-likely-to-see-events-industry-return-to-normality/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=regular

3 minutes ago, Mimo said:

*ducks*

Absolutely no harm in expressing a different thought process ... lots more people think its likely to be happening now but its totally understandable that people dont ... its a big leap from where we are now .... fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Hancock: Restrictions will be lifted 'as swiftly as we safely can'

The health secretary says there are 50 hospital hubs "ready to go" for the vaccine to be delivered.

Asked when restrictions on people's lives might be lifted, he says it would happen "as swiftly as we safely can".

He pointed out the fact that the impact of the vaccine on the transmission of the virus is not known makes it hard to say how many people need to be vaccinated before the measures can be relaxed.

The government will continue, however, to look at cases, hospitalisations and deaths to judge when restrictions can be lifted, he said.

This is key.

16 minutes ago, Mimo said:

*ducks*

It's quite clear that the government are not going to wait until 40-50 million are vaccinated (with the amount of people who will refuse the vaccine, I'm not sure 50 million will ever be reached) to get things back to normality. Vaccinate the vulnerable and test close to big events is the most likely way forward. It isn't about getting to a point nobody will be hospitalised/dying because of covid, but about being at a manageable level for the NHS. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

It's quite clear that the government are not going to wait until 40-50 million are vaccinated (with the amount of people who will refuse the vaccine, I'm not sure 50 million will ever be reached) to get things back to normality. Vaccinate the vulnerable and test close to big events is the most likely way forward. It isn't about getting to a point nobody will be hospitalised/dying because of covid, but about being at a manageable level for the NHS. 

Sure I can see that, maybe I'm being too negative. Trouble is I've been stung too many times this year through being overly positive! 

I honestly do hope I'm wrong, but for the sake of my battered emotions I'm gonna hold my excitement back for now.

Hope for the best prepare for the worst etc etc

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Mimo said:

*ducks*

I understand where you're coming from, and yes we will still need to be patient with how gradual the lifting will be, but I think there's a few bits where I don't quite agree;

• "It will most likely fuck you up for a few weeks" - the evidence doesn't bear this out. The scientists have constantly stressed that for the vast majority this will be a mild illness. Not downplaying it, but for the majority of healthy people under 50, its unlikely to be something that cause more than a day or so out of work. Yes there are stories of long Covid that we should take seriously, but they are the exception, not the norm.
  • The number needing vaccination - Prof Jonathan Van Tam has confirmed their belief is that the most vulnerable 33% being vaccinated will prevent 99% of deaths (i.e. approx. 22million being vaccinated). Whilst we will push past this figure over time and look to achieve as high a number of vaccinated as possible, if we get to a point of 99% of deaths being prevented, things will be returning to normal. There is no way on earth we commit economic suicide if we are at that point in Spring/early Summer.
  • Mass testing - you haven't mentioned it at all. Mass testing is one of the key ways we can safely lift restrictions as vaccinations begin to drive down hospitalisations and deaths in February-March. 

Yes, 2021 is a year of rebuilding - doesn't mean we won't get some nice things on the way. I would be genuinely shocked if Glasto doesn't happen now, based on all the evidence laid out in front of us.

Edited by Mellotr0n
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mimo said:

Sure I can see that, maybe I'm being too negative. Trouble is I've been stung too many times this year through being overly positive! 

I honestly do hope I'm wrong, but for the sake of my battered emotions I'm gonna hold my excitement back for now.

Hope for the best prepare for the worst etc etc

There's definitely still hurdles and reason's for caution, but we're a lot closer to a festival next year than we have been. Quietly optimistic 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mimo said:

*ducks*

I understand your caution - with so much at stake it for you makes sense to bottle the excitement for a while longer.

I'm in the deffo going ahead camp - phase 1 jabbing will protect the vulnerable and at that point the public's patience will have run out with restrictions. The politics will beat the health issues and all will be fine (maybe with some best practices for hygiene).

(Upvoted to cancel out the downvote)

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

A current Poll from today .....75% saying yes :) 

I can't say whether it will go ahead or not, I can 100% guarantee that isn't the last poll on the subject.

In fact I'm impressed with everyone here that we don't have 17 new threads on the subject.

(its possible that the Last Time in the tweet was a reference to Into The Spiderverse though and bravo if it is)

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

I can't say whether it will go ahead or not, I can 100% guarantee that isn't the last poll on the subject.

In fact I'm impressed with everyone here that we don't have 17 new threads on the subject.

(its possible that the Last Time in the tweet was a reference to Into The Spiderverse though and bravo if it is)

indeed :) thought it better to link the tweet this time :) 

• Like 1

I think I'm still on 50/50 it going ahead. Maybe 53/47...

For a lot of the reasons the person a few pages back said.

We don't know just how fast the hospitalisations will change in response to more and more people being vaccinated. 

There doesn't look like there is much margin for error in the timeline for mass delivery of an effective vaccine and it happening. 

BUT they said January vaccination and it's now December so I'm hopeful the extra month will help!