Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

I'm a non believer. Don't get me wrong! I hope it happens! But I just feel that it's too soon. I will no doubt be proven wrong. And I hope I am! But currently I just feel that Glastonbury is too large an event to be held safely, even with some people vaccinated.

I'm fully confident in festivals happening this year now I've seen the effectiveness, and more importantly the potential timescales. Remember we only need to get a few million jabbed up to open things up again, and we can utilise all the tools we know about (reduced outdoor transmission, masks in enclosed spaces, some element of fast testing) to compliment that.

Economically, there's also far too much pressure to not have a second summer of mass events. It would be disastrous for tourism and all the various cultural/sporting ecosystems that rely on events.

I've spent the last six months gettin' me head around 2021 being a write-off and have reached acceptance (just), so I ain't gettin' me hopes up just yet... I'm sure 2021 will be much better than 2020 (not difficult) but I'm also sure that 2022 will be the real deal.

50/50 for Glasto, 100% for small festivals and gigs.

I've got a golden ticket to a full fat Worthy event, I'm not interested in a Covid-ised edition - all or nothing!

Edited by Barney McGrew
  • Upvote 1

I'm 99% certain that the legislation will allow for events, including large scale ones like Glastonbury, to go ahead without social distancing by June. In order for restrictions to be in place at that point would require new legislation and I just can't see any likelihood that it gets proposed let alone passed.

My concern is more about whether the festival feel confident enough in their plans when considering other factors such as risks posed by Brexit, ongoing travel disruption, etc to go full steam ahead when they reach the point of no return (probably ~2 months from now). Though I think many of us will have noticed several other festivals, including some in June and one I thought for various reasons would be a definite cancellation (Kite), have become a lot more active and positive on social media over the past 3 weeks or so.

Call it 80/20.

18 minutes ago, Homer said:

I got told off on here for saying 2020 wouldn't happen, as apparently making comments like that ultimately leads to the festival not happening/ So, by that logic, if we all reply 'yes' then 2021 will definitely happen.

Not sure this method works. It took me 30 years of saying Liverpool would win the league for it to happen. 

I'm feeling a lot more confident today. Not everyone is on board though...

Screenshot_20201123-112105_Twitter.thumb.jpg.b294cbd5cb1eb262a3f0667b9aa083d5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Not sure this method works. It took me 30 years of saying Liverpool would win the league for it to happen. 

Screenshot_20201123-112105_Twitter.thumb.jpg.b294cbd5cb1eb262a3f0667b9aa083d5.jpg

I was really confident Liverpool were going to win the league last night (was quite drunk though).

Yep I'm around 85/90% confident at this stage. If everything goes to plan, it happens, but there are a lot of moving parts. The good news is I *think* by late Jan/early Feb we will have a much clearer picture, and that probably lines up nicely with the festival having to make a decision.

30 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

That did make me laugh when I saw it this morning, what a ray of sunshine he is.