Massive Attack Glastonbury 2008/2014

MrMartenot

Hi, does anyone know where to get or has an HD copy of Massive Attack’s Glastonbury 2008 setlist? A video of Unfinished Sympathy exists in HD so more songs of the set should exist as well. Similarly, I’m looking for their 2014 Glastonbury set, even though I don’t know if it was actually broadcast or not. I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

You'll likely struggle to find 2014 as it wasn't shown on the BBC due to the political nature of the visuals. Can't remember if it was a 3D decision or a BBC decision. I don't know if a good quality bootleg of it exists, but would be definitely be interested if so, it was a great set and great way to close out the festival. 

Done some digging on some bootleg sites, the most extensive collection doesn't have either show as audio or video. I did find the DVD for 2008, but it might be the same quality as that youtube video. According to one of the massive attack fansites it only has seven songs.

The London show listed below was the Meltdown Festival and had a very similar setlist, it's an audience recoding but no idea on the quality of the recording though. In terms of getting audio, for 2008, that's probably your best bet. 2014 has a Berlin gig the week after that features the same setlist with a couple of extra songs, also an audience recording. 

image.png.e8d3a3e6784f3ac227ba4e9f959d2910.png

So the answer to your question, no, there doesn't appear to be a HD bootleg of the whole set for 2008 and 2014 is completely non-existent. 

10 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

Done some digging on some bootleg sites, the most extensive collection doesn't have either show as audio or video. I did find the DVD for 2008, but it might be the same quality as that youtube video. According to one of the massive attack fansites it only has seven songs.

The London show listed below was the Meltdown Festival and had a very similar setlist, it's an audience recoding but no idea on the quality of the recording though. In terms of getting audio, for 2008, that's probably your best bet. 2014 has a Berlin gig the week after that features the same setlist with a couple of extra songs, also an audience recording. 

image.png.e8d3a3e6784f3ac227ba4e9f959d2910.png

So the answer to your question, no, there doesn't appear to be a HD bootleg of the whole set for 2008 and 2014 is completely non-existent. 

Thanks. It’s good to have confirmation that the 2014 set wasn’t actually broadcast. The 2008 set is frustrating as there’s a BBC HD logo and the video is clearly HD resolution for the Unfinished Sympathy video. Was the 2008 set on iPlayer as part of the BBC’s Glastonbury coverage earlier this year?

10 hours ago, MrMartenot said:

Thanks. It’s good to have confirmation that the 2014 set wasn’t actually broadcast. The 2008 set is frustrating as there’s a BBC HD logo and the video is clearly HD resolution for the Unfinished Sympathy video. Was the 2008 set on iPlayer as part of the BBC’s Glastonbury coverage earlier this year?

which video is that? 

you could try getting it touch with the guy who posted this vid, it seems to be from a different source than the usual bootleg and might be in high quality originally

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chawk said:

which video is that? 

you could try getting it touch with the guy who posted this vid, it seems to be from a different source than the usual bootleg and might be in high quality originally

It’s this video Unfinished Symphony Glastonbury:

It is odd how few pro-shot Massive Attack concerts exist. There are no official concert releases on DVD or anything like that either, which is a shame, because their concerts are well-suited for video cameras.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MrMartenot said:

It’s this video Unfinished Symphony Glastonbury:

It is odd how few pro-shot Massive Attack concerts exist. There are no official concert releases on DVD or anything like that either, which is a shame, because their concerts are well-suited for video cameras.

Ah yeah, i'd not seen that before. I guess it comes from the original highlights broadcast that was on BBC2 and BBC HD https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ccfhy

But I guess that not many watched BBC HD back then so that video might be the only recording. You could try commenting and see if the Youtube channel owner has the rest of the set

I downloaded the first and last partsof the 08 DVD to compare it to the youtube DVDrip video to see if there was any improvement. If anything, the youtube might look clearer.

Youtube:

image.thumb.png.60018b65b137f5e78061395983bc0385.png

DVD:

image.thumb.png.8ba9af0ca8a2f75bb05f1ae232e8ac68.png

Interestingly the youtube version doesn't the blue button overlay on it, whereas it's there the whole way through the first and last part of the DVD. It would seem that they are both the same BBC video, but may have come from different rippers. Marooned is included on the DVD in partial form as it was taken from the live feed, but then the BBC cut to Jay Z coming on stage. The quality of it is the same as the rest of the DVD and can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1EU1sgkU8