The worlds gone mad.. Ban all Xmas songs

guypjfreak

1 hour ago, Mr Boo said:

The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars is one of my favourite Bowie albums - as well as better know tracks like Starman and Ziggy Stardust there are plenty of great tracks on the album-  It Ain’t Easy and Moonage Daydream being a couple of my personal favourites 😊

Aye, that whole album is just fantastic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Boo said:

I bet the Kate Rusty album will be nice. Saw her do one of her Christmas shows (quite a few years ago) and it was lovely and very festive.

Dan has subjected me to that particular Jethro Tull album during several Christmas drinking sessions. He waits until I have drank enough beer for my reactions to have slowed and for my ability to turn off a cd to have become severely compromised and then on goes Jethro. To my ears it’s like someone very beardy is hitting me over the head with an accordion whilst someone else (equally hairy) is sticking an harmonica up my nose. Or it’s like I’m Dracula and I’m happily flapping around in my cape, when suddenly a Vampire Hunter (and lover of traditional music) appears and plunges his sharpened flute stake through my undead heart and then a troupe of Morris dancers skip over my smouldering ashes.

I didn’t like the album much.

Morris dancing vampire hunters - that’s a film I would watch (not in the cinemas obviously, but when it’s free on the telly).

Anyway if you need a fiddle solo for Christmas (that sounds wrong) Dan can provide the music you need.

I’m hoping for lockdown to finish before Christmas and to have a few festive beers with Mr Marks (but maybe without  Jethro this year)🍺😊

Stop sitting on the fence. Do you like the tull or not?  Any album that first two tracks are called a christmas song and another christmas song deserves cool points for that alone (possibly). 

Everyone likes Ring out Solstice Bells though. Even if most people pretend they don't.

Sttick it on the list !

1 minute ago, danmarks said:

Stop sitting on the fence. Do you like the tull or not?  Any album that first two tracks are called a christmas song and another christmas song deserves cool points for that alone (possibly). 

Everyone likes Ring out Solstice Bells though. Even if most people pretend they don't.

Sttick it on the list !

Most people won’t have had to listen to it. Let them keep their innocence. Although Christmas is about giving to others, I don’t think that generosity should be extended to sharing the Jethro Tull Christmas album with your friends 😆

2 hours ago, Mr Boo said:

The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars is one of my favourite Bowie albums - as well as better know tracks like Starman and Ziggy Stardust there are plenty of other great tracks on the album-  It Ain’t Easy and Moonage Daydream being a couple of my personal favourites 😊

Hello Mr Boo,

Thanks for that information and recommendations. My knowledge of music is really quite limited (especially compared to you lot on here). I guess that would be quite surprising for some to hear, given that I've been to Glastonbury about 25 times. The thing is that I only ever really went there because it was the one time and place that my countrywide dispersed mates would all meet up as one group. However, my wife has introduced me to new and varied music, so I'm kind of getting there, slowly. I shall give those two tracks you mention a whirl and take it from there with that album.

Cheers. :)

12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Mr Boo,

Thanks for that information and recommendations. My knowledge of music is really quite limited (especially compared to you lot on here). I guess that would be quite surprising for some to hear, given that I've been to Glastonbury about 25 times. The thing is that I only ever really went there because it was the one time and place that my countrywide dispersed mates would all meet up as one group. However, my wife has introduced me to new and varied music, so I'm kind of getting there, slowly. I shall give those two tracks you mention a whirl and take it from there with that album.

Cheers. :)

You are very welcome, enjoy 😊 

If it helps- snowmen- knock em down or let them melt? 

The statue thing is sadly an absolutely brilliant reflection of everything thats wrong with the internet. 

People get involved with something and need to take sides without allowing an equal exchange of views to be that. Whatever anyone thinks it really is personal if you think a statue of Colston should remain. Theres no right or wrong. Its subjective but there's no shades of grey in discussion any more. Leave a statue with explanations who he was and how the world was then etc- wrong (as was mooted). Get rid of statue- ahh itll be Churchill next..

I hate it all and so lose myself in topics of flute playing hippy dippy music.

20 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Hunky Dory is an underrated album worth a listen too Mr Yog

Hello danmarks,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually a little familiar with that album, but haven't actually listened to anything off it for many, many years now. So, I'll add that to the suggestions of Mr Boo. Looks like I've got the makings of the start of a Bowie evening. :)

I meant that it was internet driven. Groups of frothing mouths read a statement then run off and act even if its not true. The last one round here was 'if you post the magna carta in your shop window youre allowed to open .' Absolute nonsense but a march was had to defend it without any one listening to any conversation.

You may think its right to pull down statues (and in some cases appear to erase history which sometimes is an uncomfortable thing it would be better to have reason to have conversations about) Some people wont and you saying obviously it's the right thing just closes down any chance of convincing people who have different opinions to change them or at least consider other view points. Some people in Bristol (and wider) wouldnt have any idea who Colston was and why he could afford to be so generous to get his name everywhere. A benign benefactor if anything. Get it in the news by pulling down the statue and for a couple of months its current and people listen but by saying - 'it's wrong ' you have given those who want to rally against pretty much anything that's a non threat (Europe etc) chance to go 'You are pulling down my heritage .how dare you. Can't even say Christmas now etc.'

Have a discussion and they become sidelined very quickly as people can say 'i'm not sure what's right. Tell me the facts. Then the people saying 'it's wrong ' will be - 'well it just is innit. '

1 hour ago, danmarks said:

If it helps- snowmen- knock em down or let them melt? 

The statue thing is sadly an absolutely brilliant reflection of everything thats wrong with the internet. 

People get involved with something and need to take sides without allowing an equal exchange of views to be that. Whatever anyone thinks it really is personal if you think a statue of Colston should remain. Theres no right or wrong. Its subjective but there's no shades of grey in discussion any more. Leave a statue with explanations who he was and how the world was then etc- wrong (as was mooted). Get rid of statue- ahh itll be Churchill next..

I hate it all and so lose myself in topics of flute playing hippy dippy music.

I like what they are doing in Bristol with the Colston statue - putting the statue in a museum with the spray paint still on it and then explaining his life and why people were angry etc. I agree that history shouldn’t be forgotten, but people like Colston shouldn’t be celebrated in 2020 either.

In relation to Snowmen they should be allowed to melt. Don’t kick a snowman when he’s down ️ (Bowie would agree)

9 hours ago, Mr Boo said:

I like what they are doing in Bristol with the Colston statue - putting the statue in a museum with the spray paint still on it and then explaining his life and why people were angry etc. I agree that history shouldn’t be forgotten, but people like Colston shouldn’t be celebrated in 2020 either.

In relation to Snowmen they should be allowed to melt. Don’t kick a snowman when he’s down ️ (Bowie would agree)

Snowflake ❄️ That relates to snowmen doesn’t it ? Poor use of language on my part was meant to be a play on words ... sorry 

Edited by crazyfool1

I agree that history shouldn’t be forgotten, but people like Colston shouldn’t be celebrated in 2020 either.

Exactly. Of course they shouldnt be celebrated but it needs to be in the consciousness of everyone now and in the future of how these people got so rich.

1 minute ago, danmarks said:

I agree that history shouldn’t be forgotten, but people like Colston shouldn’t be celebrated in 2020 either.

Exactly. Of course they shouldnt be celebrated but it needs to be in the consciousness of everyone now and in the future of how these people got so rich.

Agreed 

29 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Beautifull... I’ve no clue what the other one relates to ... apparently I’m one because I believe this pandemic is a thing 

Snowflake is a derogatory term often used against sensitive liberal types by republicans. 

I know which political side I support, so although calling me a snowflake is an insult, it’s one I will accept.

Edited by Mr Boo