The worlds gone mad.. Ban all Xmas songs

guypjfreak

6 March 1988 apparently. And as no ones asked- Jethro tull xmas album, obviously Dylans and Nick Lowe -Quality Street if youre after something a bit different. Got John Fahey xmas cd and Kate Rusby sweet bells cd to try this year but not before Dec 1.

Edited by danmarks
Got off my arse to check cd name

So I thought for a laugh if we could get say 30 songs and do a heal hurt game.. 

Here's 10 please add some of yours and then we'll start it.. Just a thought.. 

1. All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey
  2. “Last Christmas” by Wham!
  3. “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” by Michael Bublé
  4. “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber
  5. “Santa Tell Me” by Ariana Grande
  6. “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams
  7. “Do They Know It’s Christmas? (1984 Version)” by Band Aid
  8. “Fairytale of New York (feat. Kirsty MacColl)” by The Pogues
  9. “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby
  10. “Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!” by Frank Sinatra

4 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

If 'Just like Christmas' by Low isn't on there I'm not playing!

2 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday - Wizzard - my all time favourite Christmas song 

59 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

Sorry mate, I still look to promote them when possible, a band that never achieved the commercial success they deserved.

So true. Just noticed, it would have been Scott Hutcheson's birthday today (actually yesterday now). I'll never forget watching them at Glasto on the other stage early in the day in 2010. Mesmerising, even in my hungover state!

6 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I know what you mean. I have non-immediate family members who drop the occasional casual but quite strong racist comment. What can you do? Challenge them and spend the rest of the evening rowing about it - knowing full well they're so set in their ways it won't make any difference, or let it fly and talk about something we are in agreement over, like how Elton John is brilliant.

My heart says: stand up for your principles, my head says: choose the easy path... It ain't always easy being so woke!!!!

You've summed it up in a reasonably large sized nutshell there maelzoid. There are, and I suppose always will be, occasions when doing the right thing will require you to piss into the wind, with the only result being that you get yourself covered in your own piss, and do not change a thing. 

In connection with the above the last 'major' time that my wife ( not scaredey cat me) stood up to someone on this front was in a pub up the road from us. We've only lived here for 3 years but my wife was oblivious (in her love everybody naïve way) that this small country town is packed to the gunnels with racists. There are, to my knowledge, a handful of Asians who run curry restaurants, some Chinese who do the same, and that's it. In 3 years here I have only ever seen one black person. It was a bloke who was evidently a tourist. This place is without a shadow of a doubt a 'white enclave'. It's a little kind of like 'Stepford Wives' bizarre but in a racist way abnormal. 

Anyway, we were in this pub when some bloke made a racist remark, my wife then went into battle, and it would now appear that we are now pariahs with most of the community. It would be fair to say that there are certain forces at play against us now. Fortunately we don't give a flying fuck on that front. However, it does go to show you that for some, at least, there will be severe negative repercussions to 'doing the right thing'. It goes without saying that for those vulnerable people it would be best if they just bit their lips. It's no result if the innocent are punished for doing the right thing. Sometimes (and to slightly plagiarise) the needs of the many do not outweigh the needs of the few. 

Going back to 'nuts' - it's a tough nutshell to crack this one - ennit!?

10 hours ago, danmarks said:

6 March 1988 apparently. And as no ones asked- Jethro tull xmas album, obviously Dylans and Nick Lowe -Quality Street if youre after something a bit different. Got John Fahey xmas cd and Kate Rusby sweet bells cd to try this year but not before Dec 1.

I bet the Kate Rusty album will be nice. Saw her do one of her Christmas shows (quite a few years ago) and it was lovely and very festive.

Dan has subjected me to that particular Jethro Tull album during several Christmas drinking sessions. He waits until I have drank enough beer for my reactions to have slowed and for my ability to turn off a cd to have become severely compromised and then on goes Jethro. To my ears it’s like someone very beardy is hitting me over the head with an accordion whilst someone else (equally hairy) is sticking an harmonica up my nose. Or it’s like I’m Dracula and I’m happily flapping around in my cape, when suddenly a Vampire Hunter (and lover of traditional music) appears and plunges his sharpened flute stake through my undead heart and then a troupe of Morris dancers skip over my smouldering ashes.

I didn’t like the album much.

Morris dancing vampire hunters - that’s a film I would watch (not in the cinemas obviously, but when it’s free on the telly).

Anyway if you need a fiddle solo for Christmas (that sounds wrong) Dan can provide the music you need.

I’m hoping for lockdown to finish before Christmas and to have a few festive beers with Mr Marks (but maybe without  Jethro this year)🍺😊

Edited by Mr Boo
  • Upvote 1

I'd forgotten this one (see below). It never fails to give me goosebumps.

David Bowie's cross reminded me of a story that the author Bill Bryson told about what one of his friends had witnessed while in the queue at the jewellery section bit at Argos. He said that his friend was waiting in the queue and when it got to the young female teenager to get served in front of him he heard her say to the shop assistant 'Have you got any crosses for a necklace. He then witnessed the shop assistant show the young lady a selection of crosses. Then he heard the young lady say 'Have you got any crosses without the little man on them'!

12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'd forgotten this one (see below). It never fails to give me goosebumps.

David Bowie's cross reminded me of a story that the author Bill Bryson told about what one of his friends had witnessed while in the queue at the jewellery section bit at Argos. He said that his friend was waiting in the queue and when it got to the young female teenager to get served in front of him he heard her say to the shop assistant 'Have you got any crosses for a necklace. He then witnessed the shop assistant show the young lady a selection of crosses. Then he heard the young lady say 'Have you got any crosses without the little man on them'!

I love how Bing clearly doesn’t have a clue who David Bowie is.

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the same slur being used on Money for Nothing by Dire Straights? 
Same word, but mocking the person using it.

Same deal I reckon. In both cases, the lyrics are in character and not the words of the singer, but still unacceptable on ‘daytime’ radio.

Is there a ‘censored’ version of it? I listen to a fair bit of 80s throwback radio so I’ll keep my ears peeled. I still love this song, and I object to the radio version anyway on the grounds that it edits down the intro and the outdo.

1 hour ago, Mr Boo said:

Bing Crosby is said to have described Bowie as ‘a clean-cut kid’ 😊

To be fair David Bowie does look like he was clean cut in that footage. 

As an aside, I've only recently 'discovered' the Bowie track Five years. I am now having problems as it's definitely challenging the current top slot for my favourite song / artist. This is currently (but for how long?) held by James's track 'Sound' the live version, which I think was in Sheffield.

23 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But he learns to love Christmas by the end!

So does Ebenezer Scrooge, and yet his name is a synonym for ill will and christmas jeer. Just shows we as a society do not believe in man's ability to change for the better, and despite Ebenezer bringing scran round to Bob Cratchett's house for an xmas natter, nor do we restorative justice. A dreadful indictment of our times (1843-2020)

21 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Imagine being so benighted that - in a world where Darlene Love and Ronnie Spector and One More Sleep and Underneath the Tree exist - FONY is the only Xmas song you like.

Sick songs there.

It was nice seeing the Mike Oldfield track in this thread. I don't think I realised it was him. Reminds me of a night I spent in an irish pub near my gaff two christmases ago. The only other occupants were the landlady, a barmaid and a cat. At closing they locked us in and kept serving us drinks. The music was provided by a 90s style portable radio w/ tape deck. Magic FM playing 90 minutes of festive hits, which would then repeat in the same order. Must've heard every song 4 times.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

To be fair David Bowie does look like he was clean cut in that footage. 

As an aside, I've only recently 'discovered' the Bowie track Five years. I am now having problems as it's definitely challenging the current top slot for my favourite song / artist. This is currently (but for how long?) held by James's track 'Sound' the live version, which I think was in Sheffield.

The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars is one of my favourite Bowie albums - as well as better know tracks like Starman and Ziggy Stardust there are plenty of other great tracks on the album-  It Ain’t Easy and Moonage Daydream being a couple of my personal favourites 😊

Edited by Mr Boo