The worlds gone mad.. Ban all Xmas songs

guypjfreak

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Not anymore, it sort of broke him a bit. Raised quite a bit for Refuge too.

The book is good. Very short but currently only 99p on Kindle if anyone's interested (or at least it was yesterday when I got it)

Yeah, I heard him interviewed & he said it took him 48 hours of solid tweets to reply to them all! Imagine that many people being offended by International women's day????

15 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

they want to ban Little Britain 😤

I always found it a bit uncomfortable tbh. Two middle-class, privately-educated white dudes dressing up as every type of caricature they could think of - the very definition of punching down. I think it would still be OK if there was an element of social satire to it, but ultimately it was cheap laughs wasn't it. The airport one was even worse.

I'm not saying ban it, but I'm glad that it has been re-assessed.

8 minutes ago, TheBurns said:

Seeing Macca perform Wonderful Christmastime a couple of years ago remains one of my favourite gig memories!

I saw this and loved to see it - and I've also seen the Pogues do the current song in question, albeit with Cait standing in for Kirsty MacColl. 

However I've never seen Jona Lewie go:

Dub-a-dub-a-dum-dum
Dub-a-dub-a-dum

An absolute non-story, as has been said the song hasn’t been banned the Beeb are just playing a different edit this year as a lot of stations have done down the years.

In all of these sort of stories the number of people actually offended by the issue pales into insignificance next to the vast number of people who are outraged at the prospect of people being offended. The real “snowflakes” are those frothing at the mouth at not being allowed to use a homophobic slur anymore.

There is a section of society that love to get riled up about “wokeness” and “snowflakes” and how the PC brigade is out to take their way of life, when it’s nothing of the sort. Sections of the media take nothing stories like this and blow them up specifically to pander to this group, and the gullible twats lap it up every time.

Personally I think FONY should be banned because it’s shit anyway.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I saw this and loved to see it - and I've also seen the Pogues do the current song in question, albeit with Cait standing in for Kirsty MacColl. 

However I've never seen Jona Lewie go:

Dub-a-dub-a-dum-dum
Dub-a-dub-a-dum

Hah. I have. He forgot it halfway through and started telling a story about loading his car up for thr gig. Have also seen kirsty with the pogues performing 'that' song. 87/88 ish? 

Just now, danmarks said:

Hah. I have. He forgot it halfway through and started telling a story about loading his car up for thr gig. 

Amazing! The dream.

I've seen Ronnie Spector do the Phil Spector bangers and Low do the full Christmas album,

And Gary Glitter do Another Rock'n'Roll Christmas, but that's one that's lost its festive lustre.

As an LGBTQ+ person I'm getting very annoyed by this conversation, I have no issues with the song and feel that this is very much a debate the BBC has produced, they're playing the song but a radio friendly version that the band has said is absolutely a ok. My frustrations have hit their peak this evening by seeing this stupid meme, you can't compare a slur to someone talking about their own body part. 

FB_IMG_1605891893516.jpg

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Well, it is only a rule of thumb. As you illustrate, it is quite often a lot more nuanced than that, but I've found it to be a good starting point.

Oh, don't get me wrong, as I fully agree with your rule of thumb approach as it's the most apt in all three categories. All I was trying to add was that it's a bit hazy in that one area, but even then, not extensively. Mind you if we are all to become a more harmonious and equitable collective it's going to mean that a huge amount of people who aren't those discriminated against (and who possibly do the discriminating) to get on board with those who are the victims of discrimination.

In connection with the above it does need people to be re-educated about what their own morals are, as well as, I would say, more and stronger robust legislation. Ideally it would be great if everybody were able to challenge discrimination, but that's not always possible. I'll give you an example - my wife and I run a small Airbnb business (well, when lock down rules don't apply, we do). This means that we get to see many, many people over a period of time (eg. we worked for 3 full months this summer without a single day off). Now we are, to our reckoning, very pleasant hosts. In fact, our feedback suggests as such in no small manner. However, there are occasions when the people we have to be pleasant to have shown themselves to be racist. Now, under normal circumstances my wife wouldn't hold back with berating such people with some considerable vehemence . However, she, like myself too, simply cannot challenge them under such circumstances. To do so would spell the death knell for our business and the main source of our income. However, it is 'slippage' such as this that allows the continuation of discrimination.  So, sometimes we get to feel like frauds.

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I completely agree although one thing to be aware of is that in Ireland it used to have an alternative meaning of a lazy so and so. 

Exactly this as a few of my Irish friends have mentioned today on the socials 

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, as I fully agree with your rule of thumb approach as it's the most apt in all three categories. All I was trying to add was that it's a bit hazy in that one area, but even then, not extensively. Mind you if we are all to become a more harmonious and equitable collective it's going to mean that a huge amount of people who aren't those discriminated against (and who possibly do the discriminating) to get on board with those who are the victims of discrimination.

In connection with the above it does need people to be re-educated about what their own morals are, as well as, I would say, more and stronger robust legislation. Ideally it would be great if everybody were able to challenge discrimination, but that's not always possible. I'll give you an example - my wife and I run a small Airbnb business (well, when lock down rules don't apply, we do). This means that we get to see many, many people over a period of time (eg. we worked for 3 full months this summer without a single day off). Now we are, to our reckoning, very pleasant hosts. In fact, our feedback suggests as such in no small manner. However, there are occasions when the people we have to be pleasant to have shown themselves to be racist. Now, under normal circumstances my wife wouldn't hold back with berating such people with some considerable vehemence . However, she, like myself too, simply cannot challenge them under such circumstances. To do so would spell the death knell for our business and the main source of our income. However, it is 'slippage' such as this that allows the continuation of discrimination.  So, sometimes we get to feel like frauds.

I know what you mean. I have non-immediate family members who drop the occasional casual but quite strong racist comment. What can you do? Challenge them and spend the rest of the evening rowing about it - knowing full well they're so set in their ways it won't make any difference, or let it fly and talk about something we are in agreement over, like how Elton John is brilliant.

My heart says: stand up for your principles, my head says: choose the easy path... It ain't always easy being so woke!!!!

• Upvote 1

Yeah that was it! Bristol studio. They finished with goodnight irene. And was impressed Shane came on apparently drunk and finished a bottle of brandy on stage. Was something i aspired to but i  was young and foolish and already drinking too much. Sorted myself out (a bit) and glad i did(with thanks to many loved people), last time i saw the Pogues Shane was wheeled out,couldnt talk , mumbled words off bits of paper and was wheeled off before the end. Sad times. Hopefully he's a bit more sorted now.