The worlds gone mad.. Ban all Xmas songs

guypjfreak

They can all **** off to be honest, well all of the usual mainstream ones that get played non-stop for 2 months anyway. Yes, FONY too, that one is also crap and you are not cool and alternative for liking it 😉 (I'm keeping Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC though coz, you know, it's in Die Hard innit 😁 )

Yes I worked in shop when I was younger and worked November and December, why do you ask? 😄 

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

I've found it a good rule of thumb in life to understand that:

Straight people should not be arbitrating what is / is not homophobic

White people should not be arbitrating what is / is not racist

Men should not be arbitrating what is / is not misogynistic

Spot on, that. 

Also, what’s with this idea that anybody who is offended by something is a snowflake? It’s so annoying. No, I’m not a snowflake, but this isn’t the 80’s so stop acting like Jim fucking Davidson. 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Calling someone a faggot is absolutely unacceptable in 2020 and it’s something that has happened to most LGBTQ people at some point in their lives, including myself. 

Is hard to understand why anyone thinks it’s acceptable to sing this to each other, while pissed at Christmas and having a jolly old time. 

I completely agree although one thing to be aware of is that in Ireland it used to have an alternative meaning of a lazy so and so. Just like twat and twit are used interchangeably in Ireland whereas over here twat is deemed slightly more serious as I learned to my cost when I told my brother in law that he looked a right twat in a photo that my mother in law was showing me the very first time I ever met her. I have never felt the temperature in a room go down as much in my life. 25 years later I don't think she's ever forgiven me and I now think no matter what use of the word you go with I was absolutely right about my brother in law. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I completely agree although one thing to be aware of is that in Ireland it used to have an alternative meaning of a lazy so and so. Just like twat and twit are used interchangeably in Ireland whereas over here twat is deemed slightly more serious as I learned to my cost when I told my brother in law that he looked a right twat in a photo that my mother in law was showing me the very first time I ever met her. I have never felt the temperature in a room go down as much in my life. 25 years later I don't think she's ever forgiven me and I now think no matter what use of the word you go with I was absolutely right about my brother in law. 

I called one of my teachers a twat when I was about 14 - I thought it was an innocent word like prat or twit. I got the cane for it! 😄

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

I've found it a good rule of thumb in life to understand that:

Straight people should not be arbitrating what is / is not homophobic

White people should not be arbitrating what is / is not racist

Men should not be arbitrating what is / is not misogynistic

I get points 1 and 3. However, I'm struggling with point 2 a little. I say that because I know full well through experience that racism isn't confined to white people judging / discriminating etc against anybody that isn't white ie. it works in reverse too. No way near to the same extent admittedly, but it does exist. Well, it does in Birmingham anyway. I don't know about other parts of the country. 

Not directly in connection with the above but I have in my former professional life been formally accused twice of being racist. In neither incident was I being racist, which was proven, and in both instances the parties involved virtually admitted in their apologies to me that they were simply playing the race card to get benefits that they weren't entitled to. It hadn't originally mattered to them that their accusations made me cry and suffer emotionally.

Now the way that I look at things, and always have, is that everybody should have equality. I don't think that way to be PC (the idea of that is nauseating). I simply think it because it really ought to be the way it should be. I want (and I'm sure the majority do) a far more harmonious and happy world. That, to my minds eye, can and will only be achieved if there is complete equality across the board. I don't just confine that to people's race, colour, sex, creed, age etc etc, but also think that it should also be economic too. There simply should not be vast disparages of wealth across the world.

However, I will and do retain one discriminatory element within my psyche - if you are a w*nker, you are a w*nker, and that's that.

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I called one of my teachers a twat when I was about 14 - I thought it was an innocent word like prat or twit. I got the cane for it! 😄

I remember people explaining it to me and me being shocked because if you remember Zig and Zag they started as kids tv hosts in Ireland (our version of gordon the gopher basically) and they had a Christmas number 1 in Ireland one year in which the word twat was used twice. In Ireland an utterly inoffensive word. Zig and Zag Christmas Number 1

24 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Interesting, the same in Scotland where twit and twat were always interchangeable until recent times and not deemed improper. Bit like fanny in the US. Up here fud is not a dull noise but another name for twat . 

25 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

What's everyones favourite yearly controversy?

A. "Can't call them easter eggs anymore!"

B. "They want to ban the poppy!"

C. "Can't even say Merry Christmas now, have to say Happy Holidays!"

It’s a weekly controversy now, let alone yearly,something all the time.

Trouble is, it’s hard to know if anyone actually is offended or whether it’s a fabricated outrage conjured up to encourage clicks.

Note- I’m not referring to Fairytale of New York by the way (though you do wonder why it makes headlines every single year, why don’t they just play the alternative version without an announcement first)

Edited by rivalschools.price

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

The Easter Egg one, because it's so easily rebutted with images of "chocolate eggs" from the 70s and of actual "easter eggs" on the shelves at the time their existence is being denied.

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The Easter Egg one, because it's so easily rebutted with images of "chocolate eggs" from the 70s and of actual "easter eggs" on the shelves at the time their existence is being denied.

And you can also hear Fairytale of New York any time you want, yet here we all are...

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I get points 1 and 3. However, I'm struggling with point 2 a little. I say that because I know full well through experience that racism isn't confined to white people judging / discriminating etc against anybody that isn't white ie. it works in reverse too. No way near to the same extent admittedly, but it does exist. Well, it does in Birmingham anyway. I don't know about other parts of the country. 

Not directly in connection with the above but I have in my former professional life been formally accused twice of being racist. In neither incident was I being racist, which was proven, and in both instances the parties involved virtually admitted in their apologies to me that they were simply playing the race card to get benefits that they weren't entitled to. It hadn't originally mattered to them that their accusations made me cry and suffer emotionally.

Now the way that I look at things, and always have, is that everybody should have equality. I don't think that way to be PC (the idea of that is nauseating). I simply think it because it really ought to be the way it should be. I want (and I'm sure the majority do) a far more harmonious and happy world. That, to my minds eye, can and will only be achieved if there is complete equality across the board. I don't just confine that to people's race, colour, sex, creed, age etc etc, but also think that it should also be economic too. There simply should not be vast disparages of wealth across the world.

However, I will and do retain one discriminatory element within my psyche - if you are a w*nker, you are a w*nker, and that's that.

Well, it is only a rule of thumb. As you illustrate, it is quite often a lot more nuanced than that, but I've found it to be a good starting point.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

My favourite is on International Women's Day, all the twits complaining "What about International Men's Day?!?!"

Anyone tries that shit with me, they'll get "That's the other 364 days of the year. 365 on a leap year."

Of course now they have introduced an "International Men's Day", it was yesterday.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

My favourite is on International Women's Day, all the twits complaining "What about International Men's Day?!?!"

Anyone tries that shit with me, they'll get "That's the other 364 days of the year. 365 on a leap year."

Of course now they have introduced an "International Men's Day", it was yesterday.

Richard Herring has written a book on that very subject. Apparently he tweets everyone who tweets "why isn't there an international mens day". He then tweets them again on 19 Nov and asks them what they are doing to celebrate.

12 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

On a similar note I remember a comedian commenting on the yearly backlash against the MOBOs, "where's the awards for music of white origin eh? That's the Country Music Awards'

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

On a similar note I remember a comedian commenting on the yearly backlash against the MOBOs, "where's the awards for music of white origin eh? That's the Country Music Awards'

Just imagine if they did have MOWOs.

It'd be exclusively Country, Metal and Indie... Doesn't sound too bad tbh, but the disco afterwards would suck.

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Just imagine if they did have MOWOs.

It'd be exclusively Country, Metal and Indie... Doesn't sound too bad tbh, but the disco afterwards would suck.

Indie (and to a lesser extent Metal) come from The Beatles/Dylan/Presley who stole it off black musicians, so they're MOBO too as far as I'm concerned. 

22 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Richard Herring has written a book on that very subject. Apparently he tweets everyone who tweets "why isn't there an international mens day". He then tweets them again on 19 Nov and asks them what they are doing to celebrate.

Not anymore, it sort of broke him a bit. Raised quite a bit for Refuge too.

The book is good. Very short but currently only 99p on Kindle if anyone's interested (or at least it was yesterday when I got it)