The worlds gone mad.. Ban all Xmas songs

guypjfreak

Wait a second. Because of the title people are having two debates at once - "all Christmas songs are bad", which is a (silly, because it encompasses songs in literally every style of music) matter of opinion, and the debate about censoring Fairytale Of New York, which suggests the person being angry about it knows better about the song than the Pogues as previously mentioned, Shane McGowan, who has repeatedly endorsed its editing in recent years, and Kirsty Maccoll, who refused to sing the word live later in her lifetime.

1 hour ago, Wellyboot said:

Do you really have a full size Buddy??? 😮😁😁🎄

It was one of the jokey presents I got my mrs last year as Elfs her favourite film... when it was wrapped up though it looked like a surfboard so she was slightly disappointed when she  opened it.

55 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

It seems like the right thread for it, so here's my top 10 (in the order I remembered them...)

• Santa Claus go straight to the Ghetto - James Brown
  • Another Lonely Christmas - Prince
  • Everything’s Gonna Be Cool This Christmas - Eels
  • Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses
  • Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
  • Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - U2
  • Winter Wonderland - Harry Connick Jr
  • Please Come Home For Christmas - Southside Johnny
  • What Christmas Means to Me - Stevie Wonder
  • Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town - Brice Springsteen

I also like all the music from the Charlie Brown Christmas special.

Good choices pal and surprisingly some I've not heard of before so I'll give them a listen.  One of my favourites is a Paloma Faith and Josh Weller duet... 'It's Christmas and I Hate You'.

• Upvote 1

Calling someone a faggot is absolutely unacceptable in 2020 and it’s something that has happened to most LGBTQ people at some point in their lives, including myself. 

Is hard to understand why anyone thinks it’s acceptable to sing this to each other, while pissed at Christmas and having a jolly old time. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, MrHew said:

I'd like to throw Skinny Lister and Beans on Toast - This Christmas into the mix. It's right up in my top 5 Christmas tunes 

Oh yes got to agree with that, two of my Avalon stage favourites on an Xmas tune! Thought I was the only one who had heard that!

and for those who think every Xmas song  is wonderful I give you cliff doing the millennium prayer. Try liking that! 

Fairy tale of New York was playing in the Porcupine in Leicester Square in June once and everyone went mad for it in peak summer... good times!

I have no idea what version they played censored or not, I like the song if people are offended by some of the outdated lyrics I understand why the BBC would want to radio edit it. I do find it strange that depending on which radio station you listen to depends which version you get. 

Also on Radio 6 it's up to the radio show presenter to play the version they want/ deem appropriate 🤷‍♀️

16 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

It was one of the jokey presents I got my mrs last year as Elfs her favourite film... when it was wrapped up though it looked like a surfboard so she was slightly disappointed when she  opened it.

That is fantastic!! I love it so much!!! I bet she isn't disappointed now tho when Buddy can come to stay every year 😍

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve got one rule I stick to every year. I don’t think about Christmas until after my birthday. Until then my fingers are in my ears. 

Ur birthday is too late to do that!!!!!!!! Just embrace it Squirrel, its Christmas 😍

35 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

People are starting the festive season in November for reasons, but Spider Stacey dunking on that grifter c**t was truly Xmas coming early.

Yes he's a bit of a legend on Twitter anyway but I'm 100% here for Laurence Fox being owned!!

Fairytale Of New York is one of my favourite Christmas songs along with The Hives and Cyndi Lauper - A Christmas Duel (yes I like my Christmas songs a little on the dark side) but I have no problem with them censoring the lyrics. It shows times have moved on and if it helps stop one gay kid being bullied or called names, if it makes people stop and think about what language is or isn't acceptable then great. 

22 minutes ago, stuie said:

Calling someone a faggot is absolutely unacceptable in 2020 and it’s something that has happened to most LGBTQ people at some point in their lives, including myself. 

Totally agree.

23 minutes ago, stuie said:

Is hard to understand why anyone thinks it’s acceptable to sing this to each other, while pissed at Christmas and having a jolly old time. 

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, but it springs to my mind that there may be a large swathe of people who would sing such a thing without having any knowledge whatsoever of its meaning. I only say this because although I have heard the song a million times in my life, I've never actually put 'that' meaning to the use of the word. In fact, that word hasn't registered with me at all until reading this thread. Then again I'm as thick as a plank on many matters. However, that affliction also applies to many others.

All that said, it's a good development that the word has been dropped, now that I actually know.

2 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Imagine not enjoying Xmas songs.  How shit must this time of year be for you?  And that on top of all the other bad stuff we're all dealing with.

We, and several others I know, are going early and going hard with Christmas this year, because there's fuck all else happening for a good while yet.

This is the year to put aside your grinchiness and get tinseled up!

I'd rather we forgot the tinsel and move straight into the new year old son.. Bar humbug.. 

Mind you it's lovely to see everyone getting involved in the discussion... Let's face it we need something more in our lives than covid.. 

I'm sure I saw on the one show that Dolly Parton is bring out a new tune. 

Edited by guypjfreak

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I've found it a good rule of thumb in life to understand that:

Straight people should not be arbitrating what is / is not homophobic

White people should not be arbitrating what is / is not racist

Men should not be arbitrating what is / is not misogynistic

Absolutely this!! Also just because you have one gay/black/female friend that says they aren't offended don't assume that means it's ok. Firstly they just may not want to admit to you that actually they do find it offensive and secondly not every member of a group of people thinks the same way!!