Grammys 2021

Mattymooz

Grammy nominations are out next week -  who are we thinking will be up for some of the bigger awards?

Personally for AOTY I'm thinking:

Bob Dylan - Rough & Rowdy Ways
Taylor Swift - folklore
The Weeknd - After Hours
Post Malone - Hollywood's Bleeding
Harry Styles - Fine Line
Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
A Country Album (The Chicks/The Highwomen/Luke Combs)
A Rap Album (Roddy Richh/Da Baby/Juice WRLD/Pop Smoke)

I guess maybe an outside chance for The Strokes being nominated too (maybe in place of Harry Styles?)...

46 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Grammy nominations are out next week -  who are we thinking will be up for some of the bigger awards?

Taylor Swift - folklore
The Weeknd - After Hours
Harry Styles - Fine Line

I guess maybe an outside chance for The Strokes being nominated too (maybe in place of Harry Styles?)...

The Weeknd will win album of the year I reckon.

Charli XCX might get a nod right?

The Grammys have been itching to make Post Malone their new white music savior, so don’t be shocked at that win. Even though it seems like theyre making progress the voters still go back to their old ways. Like Beyonce needs to not release an album the same year Adele does or she will not stand a chance yet again. And Im not going to be surprised if Folklore ends up in the alternative category because of Aaron Desner, thus putting Fiona Apple’s only guarantee of a trophy at stake.

The Weeknd prob gets record of the year for Blinding Lights and something else wins song. Too bad WAP will not be up for anything. Billie Eilish will get a nod for the James Bond theme and her short film cause they wanna ensure eyeballs on whatever ends up being the broadcast.

If you want true progress then they have BTS up for some awards even though they likely don’t win anything.

Edited by Suprefan

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

The Weeknd will win album of the year I reckon.

Charli XCX might get a nod right?

Can't see her getting the nod over there, she's way smaller in America (and it tends to be harder for british acts to get a nod anyway). I'd put FKA Twigs odds higher than hers, but would still be very shocked if either of them got a nom.

I guess maybe there is a chance if they put Charli up for electronic/dance album...

4 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Taylor Swift - folklore
The Weeknd - After Hours
Harry Styles - Fine Line

No Dua Lipa?

On 11/18/2020 at 8:31 PM, Matt42 said:

I’m trying to think of who might sweep the awards, and I think it’s probably going to be The Weeknd. There’s always someone which comes back with numerous trophies, he’d fit that bill this year.

He's been nominated for nothing! Or at least that's what I just read on twitter.

On 11/18/2020 at 2:25 PM, dentalplan said:

No Dua Lipa?

Dua could sneak in now with it being a 2 person race in Album, Song and Record of the Year. Looks like its Post Malone time though. Haim up for album of the year instead of Phoebe or Fiona is a crime.

The Weeknd got shut out which is weird as hellz

Edited by Suprefan

2 hours ago, TorontoScot said:

Fontaines DC up for best Rock album, so at least there's a bit of credibility in that category

Loving the new Strokes album though. Wouldn't be mad if they won that. 

Also: Fiona Apple nominated in a couple of categories. ❤️ FTBC is AOTY material for me. 

Edited by lighthouse

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

wtf

Nicki is never not salty about everything.

Best rock album is likely Sturgill Simpsons to lose. Fiona gets best alternative. And if you want total fuckery, the only reason Black Pumas were eligible for aoty is because they re released their album as a special Edition and it had enough new material on it, Wtf?!?  Taking away from other people who deserve the nod at least just to make it seem theyre being diverse is sometimes just bullshit.  Jhene Aiko continues to be the artist that does absolutely nothing but keeps getting these types of accolades, true industry shit.

Edited by Suprefan

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Wtf

Just realised this means that Yummy got more nominations than Blinding Lights...

I assume he must have just not submitted to any of the categories? If this was one act I thought could maybe pull off a Billie Eilish style sweep this year it was him....

1 hour ago, Chawk said:

how come? I don't know the guy, but I mentioned him to a friend who's a muso, and they described him as a musical genius.

Having Quincy Jones as a mentor/advisor and essentially opening the doors that needed to be opened into this shouldn’t be how you get there. A musicians musician getting a virtual high five from his peers isn’t what this is about. Billie Eilish just blurred that line, but timing was really what set off the year she had that got her to the top of the Grammy mountain so fast. This isn’t as bad as the no talent dj who got a best dance/electronic nod a few years ago cause he gamed the system and they since closed that loophole. But still, filling out the list just to fill it has further cheapened even getting nominated now. The Grammy’s still play to their tropes and it likely wont change for another 20 years when there are actual fresh faces in charge. Why the hell do you think a lot of artists are now refusing to submit their music for the nomination process. 

So it seems the Grammy’s wanted to get an exclusive performance from The Weeknd in exchange for nominations. Who says pay to play is dead.

TMZ report below: 

“Sources familiar with the situation tell us The Weeknd's team was in talks for weeks with Grammy brass, who issued the ultimatum -- us or Super Bowl LV. We're told both sides eventually came to an agreement where Abel could do both, but not without negotiations getting very testy.

Our sources say there's growing suspicion Abel's decision to perform at this year's Super Bowl cost him Grammy noms because the bitter back-and-forth talks pissed off Grammy honchos.

It's unclear why the Grammys would play such hardball in trying to exclusively book him for their airwaves. It might be fear of duplicate performances, as CBS is airing the award show AND the game one week apart in February. Still, our sources tell us Abel and co. feel the dispute might have something to do with his exclusion.”

Edited by Suprefan