2021 do you feel positive or negative?

Claire0406

18 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Unfortunately it's not as straightforward as vaccinating all the vulnerable first. The Pfizer vaccine uses the live virus, and these aren't suitable for those with weakened immune systems (i.e. some of the most vulnerable, and a lot of them). These people will need a vaccine based on the dead virus, and the UK has bought 60m doses of the Valneva vaccine for these. Trouble is, testing hasn't started yet, and it's not expected to be rolled out until the second half of 2021. So, we all have to play our part until then. Even if the likes of you or I have been vaccinated, and/or don't hold too much fear of contracting the virus, we can still carry it and infect others, so there will have to be measures of some kind in place until everyone is safe.

So we need to stay locked down to protect an even smaller amount of vulnerable people?

I get the argument but it’s getting to the stage where I think the people that should be locked down are much easier to identify and isolate. The second vaccinations come we need to stop treating the entire country like they are sick.

21 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Unfortunately it's not as straightforward as vaccinating all the vulnerable first. The Pfizer vaccine uses the live virus, and these aren't suitable for those with weakened immune systems (i.e. some of the most vulnerable, and a lot of them).

Err.. While I'm open to correction if you've got a source for that - all the information I've seen so far says that's not how the Pfizer vaccine works.

Indeed, that's been touted as the advantages of mRNA - that it doesn't have to use a weakened form of the virus with the benefits that it can be given to everyone and also be produced faster.

37 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So we need to stay locked down to protect an even smaller amount of vulnerable people?

I get the argument but it’s getting to the stage where I think the people that should be locked down are much easier to identify and isolate. The second vaccinations come we need to stop treating the entire country like they are sick.

Back to original point. We won't be 'locked down'. 

What we will be is most likely subject to some restrictions until late 2021/early 2022. And by that, I mean distancing and face coverings. That has been reported on for several weeks now. Which to me, rules out mass gatherings.

29 minutes ago, incident said:

Err.. While I'm open to correction if you've got a source for that - all the information I've seen so far says that's not how the Pfizer vaccine works.

Indeed, that's been touted as the advantages of mRNA - that it doesn't have to use a weakened form of the virus with the benefits that it can be given to everyone and also be produced faster.

You're right. I did read that this vaccine wouldn't be suitable for everyone, I can't remember the context.

I was resigned to 2021 being tentative steps back to normality, and whilst I recognise the vaccine will be/is a game changer, I still think 2021 will suck but gradually less so, no Glasto but hopefully normality by Christmas.

I will be overjoyed to be proven wrong.

In summary, generally more optimistic that this shit can and will end, but no change re. Glasto. I reckon smaller events will happen so all is not lost!

6 hours ago, zahidf said:

I dont think social distancing stays past end of March if (as the govt has said before) the over 50s are vaccinated by end of March.

I'm positive on the festival but there's no way the over 50s will be vaccinated by end of March. That's like 20 milion people.

Maybe they'll do 5-10 million by then.

Source: Observing the UK government miss every target they set themselves by a mile.

12 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if it's on.  A gradual vaccine roll out and reduced compliance with restrictions are not the same as the Eavii firing the starting pistol on building a temporary city for 200,000 people in their back garden.

This. An event on the scale of Glastonbury is at the extreme end of the danger spectrum, if there is any chance that COVID could continue to cause unnecessary death. There is also a chasm of difference between a vaccine(s) being authorised/licensed by regulators, and the mass production and roll out of that vaccine to tens of millions of people.

We're four months away from the point they've said they'd need to start the build, and presumably they wouldn't start the build unless there was some assurance that there would be mass access to the vaccine by the time of the festival. I've yet to see a single model that indicates roll out of that scale before the second half of next year, and towards the end of the year at that.

I can see significant easing of restrictions that allow isolated events to go ahead with strict adherence to COVID safety. I just can't see something of Glastonbury's size getting the go-ahead.

Sorry. But like @fatyeti24, I'd be very pleasantly surprised if it happens.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

This. An event on the scale of Glastonbury is at the extreme end of the danger spectrum, if there is any chance that COVID could continue to cause unnecessary death. There is also a chasm of difference between a vaccine(s) being authorised/licensed by regulators, and the mass production and roll out of that vaccine to tens of millions of people.

We're four months away from the point they've said they'd need to start the build, and presumably they wouldn't start the build unless there was some assurance that there would be mass access to the vaccine by the time of the festival. I've yet to see a single model that indicates roll out of that scale before the second half of next year, and towards the end of the year at that.

I can see significant easing of restrictions that allow isolated events to go ahead with strict adherence to COVID safety. I just can't see something of Glastonbury's size getting the go-ahead.

Sorry. But like @fatyeti24, I'd be very pleasantly surprised if it happens.

Why do you need to have vaccinated tens of millions of people before opening things up?

There are just over 5 million people over 70. Vaccinate them and the most vulnerable and the hospitals will no longer be overwhelmed and the number of deaths will dramatically fall.

We live with unnecessary death in everything that we do because we deem the benefit to be worth the risk.

They’ll allow football and that will open the floodgates for festivals. 

• Like 1

Thomas Bach, the president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), has said he is “very, very confident” that spectators will be able to attend next year’s Olympics

Decision on access for overseas sports fans will be made in the northern hemisphere’s spring, with possible options including testing before and after arriving in Japan, and limiting visitors to those from countries that have brought the outbreak under control.

"Very, very confident"

I am remaining positive in all aspects of life, I have to, for the sake of my own sanity and others around me. The thought of being in a Pilton field come the end of next June, with a pint of Brothers Cider in hand, is well and truly keeping me going.    

Can I envisage Glastonbury being on, I'm not sure but like said, until it's not on - It's on.

I honestly foresee smaller festival with social distancing and live music but we'll see.

A friend of mine has booked his accommodation and registered for tickets to Cheltenham Festival March 19th next year. I'm watching that space very closely!!

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Why do you need to have vaccinated tens of millions of people before opening things up?

There are just over 5 million people over 70. Vaccinate them and the most vulnerable and the hospitals will no longer be overwhelmed and the number of deaths will dramatically fall.

We live with unnecessary death in everything that we do because we deem the benefit to be worth the risk.

They’ll allow football and that will open the floodgates for festivals. 

I'm in my late 30s and very wary of catching it, to the point where I won't be going to any gigs or festivals until I've been vaccinated. Most of my friends feel the same way. I'm not sure if we're representative of that age group or an outlier, but it may be that some gigs and festivals won't get the numbers until people feel more safe. 

Well I’m still feeling really confident. They were looking at how to get big events back WITHOUT a vaccine. We might be using one in literally a few weeks. Surely, even if the vaccine isn’t rolled out sufficiently for it go ahead completely as normal, some combo of the other measures, testing, extra hygiene provisions, will be used for it to happen.

If the government and the industry thought it could happen without a vaccine, this news is a massive win surely. I think something would have to go seriously wrong for events to be called off again en masse. Stakes are too high for the industry.

Plus, glasto HQ is projecting confidence on it as well. They don’t really need to talk about it at all until we know for certain, they could just keep their mouths shut. They know more than we do about timelines etc, so their confidence fills me with confidence!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

I'm in my late 30s and very wary of catching it, to the point where I won't be going to any gigs or festivals until I've been vaccinated. Most of my friends feel the same way. I'm not sure if we're representative of that age group or an outlier, but it may be that some gigs and festivals won't get the numbers until people feel more safe. 

I'm in my 40s and most of my friends feel very comfortable - with anything outdoors in particular.

A lot of big festivals are sold out so don't need to worry about ticket sales. And the increased numbers from pent-up demand surely outweighs wary younger people.

For me it's all down to the Oxford vaccine trial results.

I'm with @Matt42 on pretty much all he has said regarding public opinion and behaviour once a vaccine rollout is in play.

It does seem we are very near some positive news about the Oxford one, from the news i've seen online multiple countries are upscaling their manufacture of it (Oz & India to name 2) 

I wouldn't be surprised if we get something on that this week.