My son 15 was not allowed to go to the toilet during lesson.

Josh1334

My son was told by his teacher yesterday when he asked for the toilet about 9am. That he’d have to wait until the end of the lesson. He did manage to wait so on his way to the next class so he wasn’t late walked in and asked his teacher may I be excused to go and pee. I didn’t want to be late that’s why I didn’t go between lesson. She said he can hold it until she finshes topic explaining. Is this right for him to be waiting nearly 2 hours 

On 11/12/2020 at 12:48 PM, Josh1334 said:

My son was told by his teacher yesterday when he asked for the toilet about 9am. That he’d have to wait until the end of the lesson. He did manage to wait so on his way to the next class so he wasn’t late walked in and asked his teacher may I be excused to go and pee. I didn’t want to be late that’s why I didn’t go between lesson. She said he can hold it until she finshes topic explaining. Is this right for him to be waiting nearly 2 hours 

Completely reasonable to not let him go to the toilet. Most schools have the policy that pupils can only go to the toilet during break or lunch (unless they have a 'toilet pass' due to a medical condition).

These policies need to be in place or the kids will just take the piss (excuse the pun) and keep asking to go to the toilet to miss lesson time. 

Bollocks, what happened there!?

Anyway, if you don't like crudity, then please read no further.

This post has reminded me of the struggle that I had today trying to keep a shit that wanted out, in! I was stuck in a longish car journey, and fought with this bastard thing for about 1 hour 20 minutes, to my calculations. That was not the best car journey that I've ever had. I'm going to have to remember to put a roll of toilet paper in the car. Then, if caught out like that again in the future, I can run into a field and have a dump there. They love that, the farmers. I'd like it too, because it would mean that my decline into depravity was finally complete! 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Bollocks, what happened there!?

Anyway, if you don't like crudity, then please read no further.

This post has reminded me of the struggle that I had today trying to keep a shit that wanted out, in! I was stuck in a longish car journey, and fought with this bastard thing for about 1 hour 20 minutes, to my calculations. That was not the best car journey that I've ever had. I'm going to have to remember to put a roll of toilet paper in the car. Then, if caught out like that again in the future, I can run into a field and have a dump there. They love that, the farmers. I'd like it too, because it would mean that my decline into depravity was finally complete! 

I can't leave home without a loo roll due to my Crohns and have had to become one with nature plenty of times. 

20 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I can't leave home without a loo roll due to my Crohns and have had to become one with nature plenty of times. 

Yes, but do you drop your trousers first!?

Only joking. One of my mates has Crohns. Pretty sure that he had a card from the 'Government' that bestowed upon him the right to walk into shops and demand to be allowed to use their staff toilets(s), if they didn't have public ones available. Not sure if that's still ' a thing' or not, as I recall hearing that info from him many, many moons ago now.

My experience was a little like the Rikki-Tikki-Tavi story, such was my (self proclaimed) heroic actions in not letting go off the 'Mother F'cker'. 

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, but do you drop your trousers first!?

Only joking. One of my mates has Crohns. Pretty sure that he had a card from the 'Government' that bestowed upon him the right to walk into shops and demand to be allowed to use their staff toilets(s), if they didn't have public ones available. Not sure if that's still ' a thing' or not, as I recall hearing that info from him many, many moons ago now.

My experience was a little like the Rikki-Tikki-Tavi story, such was my (self proclaimed) heroic actions in not letting go off the 'Mother F'cker'. 

Yes mate, I have a card and a radar key. The card is useless as establishments often refuse. It is good for using the disabled loos at gigs though.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:48 PM, Josh1334 said:

Why didn't he just go before 9? Rather than waiting for the lessons to start.  God help him when he gets to 40 and his bladder start on the decline!

I don't think it's right, the teachers should have let him go. Maybe they thought he was taking the piss not going before school or between lessons. However, I'd be more concerned, at 15, that he brought it up with his parents that evening. Life is a series of inconveniences caused by petty tyrannies that you have to negotiate on your own. 

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, FKemp said:

I don't think it's reasonable, if pupils keep asking to go to the toilet several time during one class, it's obvious they are skipping lessons. If someone is not doing it 99% of the time and asks once a week there's no harm in letting them go. I'm happy I'm a writer for a prothesiswriter.com now, since I can go on a bathroom break whenever I want to.

The key with kids is consistency. If they know they can't go to the toilet when in lesson, they will make sure they go before. Teachers can't pop out to the toilet when they want, why should pupils be able to? Assuming they don't have a medical condition, they should have no issue holding it if needs be. It is best they learn that now as when they are older there will be times they have to hold it!

The story is different with very young kids, I am talking about pupils in secondary school.