AOTY 2020 (music publications)

FloorFiller

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Were there always this many publications with lists? Feels too many already. Idgaf about the Gardener’s World top 10 fr

Any publication that dabbles with music reviews has one these days, even if it’s just a thrown together top ten by one writer.

And everybody knows Gardener’s World has those fire deep cut inclusions that we’re all hankering for so enough of that!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

It feels like The Quietus exist just to let me know that no matter how much music I listen to or how obscure some people find some of the music I listen to that I have barely scratched the surface and I don't even know the meaning of the word obscure. :) They are like the opposite of most lists where the odd commercial release is put in to be controversial. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Interesting. I have to say while I think it's been a pretty good year for albums I haven't had many singles that I have gotten hung up on this year. Don't know if it's because there haven't been as many bangers or if lockdown etc has changed the way I have listened to music. 

And yes I knew way more of The Quietus list than normal but even so my main response to the list is who?? 

7 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I don’t make a tracks list, but if I did, none of these would be near it. 

35 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I completely forgot about that Catholic Action album, banger.

I actually messaged my mates as I was reading this saying I hadn't even realised they had an album out this year. Feel ashamed as I saw them a good few times over the years in Glasgow. I blame moving away and being out of the loop. 

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I actually messaged my mates as I was reading this saying I hadn't even realised they had an album out this year. Feel ashamed as I saw them a good few times over the years in Glasgow. I blame moving away and being out of the loop. 

Came out the last weekend in March IIRC so I think you're probably alright feeling justified missing it, was an odd time.

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Hmm, dunno how I feel about putting both SAULT albums together. Feels a bit like cheating given they were released separately.

Yeah it’s a bit of a cop out really, but ah well, I’m just stoked to see them getting as much recognition as they have. They didn’t seem to get that much coverage on release but judging by all of these lists, they’re the critical sleeper hit of the year.