AOTY 2020 (music publications)

FloorFiller

7 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Most of the albums I was excited for this year I've been unfortunately dissatisfied with The Strokes, Haim, Tame Impala and Idles are a few examples. 

I can understand the other three but you definitely need to go back to that Haim album. Suppose it’s not quite as full throttle catchy as their first, but it’s a brilliant album. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I can understand the other three but you definitely need to go back to that Haim album. Suppose it’s not quite as full throttle catchy as their first, but it’s a brilliant album. 

I shall aim to give it a shot! I thought it was really nice but it didn't grab me the few times I listened to it. But I'll give it a go :)

50 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Most of the albums I was excited for this year I've been unfortunately dissatisfied with The Strokes, Haim, Tame Impala and Idles are a few examples. 

I agree on Tame Impala and Idles but I was surprised how much I enjoyed The Strokes album. Admittedly I went in with low expectations but I think it’s easily their best since Room On Fire and it’ll probably make my top 10. I really like the Haim album too, though it’s definitely stronger if you consider the bonus tracks as part of the album.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

6Music list here:

1. Sault - Untitled (Black is)
2. Fontaines D.C. - A Hero Death
3. Fleet Foxes - Shore
4. BC Camplight - Shortly After Takeoff
5. Bob Dylan - Rough and Rowdy Ways
6. Nadine Shah - Kitchen Sink
7. Cornershop - England Is A Garden
8. Run the Jewels - RTJ4
9. Doves - The Universal Want
10. Sports Team - Deep Down Happy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4lrd9KXPP625cmXC4R6GxKG/6-music-recommends-albums-of-the-year-2020

Not bad but some typical basic 6music choices in there. Nice to see the BC Camplight album getting some recognition. Liked that album a lot but it seemed to go largely unnoticed upon release.

edit: just noticed no Laura Marling in there which is surprising. Wonder who she’s pissed off over at the beeb.

Christ that’s an uninspiring list and I like 6 music. 

• Upvote 1

Saturday 28th November: 'The Long Goodbye' by Riz Ahmed, selected by Tom Robinson
Sunday 29th November: 'The Invention Of The Human' by Dylan Henner, selected by Tom Ravenscoft
Monday 30th November: 'Rough and Rowdy Ways' by Bob Dylan, selected by Iggy Pop
Tuesday 1st December: 'Róisín Machine' by Róisín Murphy, selected by Nemone
Wednesday 2nd December: 'Love And Dancing' by Horse Meat Disco, selected by Craig Charles
Thursday 3rd December: 'Healing is a Miracle' by Julianna Barwick, selected by Lauren Laverne
Friday 4th December: 'UNTITLED (Black Is)' by SAULT, selected by Gilles Peterson
Saturday 5th December: 'The Universal Want' by Doves, selected by Shaun Keaveny
Sunday 6th December: 'Fugitive Light And Themes Of Consolation' by Andrew Wasylyk, selected by Gideon Coe
Monday 7th December: 'Rejoice', by Tony Allen & Hugh Masekela, selected by Cerys Matthews
Tuesday 8th December: 'Off Off On' by This is the Kit, selected by Guy Garvey
Wednesday 9th December: 'Angela' by Caixa Cubo, selected by Huey Morgan
Thursday 10th December: 'Letter to You' by Bruce Springsteen, selected by Liz Kershaw
Friday 11th December: 'Dark Matter' by Moses Boyd, selected by Mary Anne Hobbs
Saturday 12th December: 'Bug On Yonkers' by Damaged Bug, selected by Marc Riley
Sunday 13th December: 'Unfollow The Rules' by Rufus Wainwright, selected by Don Letts
Monday 14th December: 'UNTITLED (Rise)' by SAULT, selected by Chris Hawkins
Tuesday 15th December: 'Serve to Serve Again' by Vintage Crop, selected by Steve Lamacq
Wednesday 16th December: 'Billy Nomates' by Billy Nomates, selected by Amy Lamé
Thursday 17th December: 'Tomorrow Again' by Saint Saviour, selected by Mark Radcliffe
Friday 18th December: 'Shortly After Takeoff' by BC Camplight, selected by Stuart Maconie

This is the individual presenters album of the year which is good as it gives me a couple of new ones to listen to. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

I shall aim to give it a shot! I thought it was really nice but it didn't grab me the few times I listened to it. But I'll give it a go :)

Would agree with what @FloorFiller said about Haim being the odd one out there. Also would agree with @kingcrawler about The Strokes. Didn't have high hopes not being that much of a fan of Comedown Machine and Angles but I was pleasantly surprised. Not sure I'd rate it above FIOE but it's definitely in the conversation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Now I feel dirty.

Scrub that.....

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Thursday 10th December: 'Letter to You' by Bruce Springsteen, selected by Liz Kershaw

Christ.

I'm starting to question my own views on Brexit.