AOTY 2020 (music publications)

FloorFiller

Well we haven’t even reached the halfway point to November but it’s already begun. As far as I can all this is the first somewhat major AOTY list published, so thought I’d start a thread for all of those that are released in the coming weeks as I know people on here like to check out all the stuff they might’ve missed. Some good stuff on this one for sure:

https://blog.roughtrade.com/albums-of-the-year-2020/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Well we haven’t even reached the halfway point to November but it’s already begun. As far as I can all this is the first somewhat major AOTY list published, so thought I’d start a thread for all of those that are released in the coming weeks as I know people on here like to check out all the stuff they might’ve missed. Some good stuff on this one for sure:

https://blog.roughtrade.com/albums-of-the-year-2020/

Just started my re-listening this week. Got around 35-40 albums I want to revisit at least once more before pulling mine together. Already stressing about stuff I've missed altogether until now.

7 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I'm excited to do this year's list, been a crackin year. There's at least 3 albums still to come out that I'm confident could land top 10 though so dunno when to start. 

It's the first time in a good few years where I don't have a clear front runner(s). As you say, a cracking year with loads of good stuff so it's going to be difficult to rate.

10 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's the first time in a good few years where I don't have a clear front runner(s). As you say, a cracking year with loads of good stuff so it's going to be difficult to rate.

No albums from The National, Radiohead or Chems so it blows it wide open....

26 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

CORNERSHOP is in their Top 20 :lol:!? 

I love this time of year. I’m a real dork for lists and I love reading through publications’ lists and compiling my own Top 20 (as painstaking as it is). 

The Cornershop album is fucking great!

19 minutes ago, nikkic said:

No albums from The National, Radiohead or Chems so it blows it wide open....

Haha, exactly.

5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

https://www.recordstore.co.uk/2020-The-Year-in-Music/Albums-of-the-Year/

There's this list too; impressed at BDRMM getting number #2. Potential WG act next year?

Probably no coincidence that the first two AOTY lists are coming from record sites that want to shift records for Christmas. Only instances where the over eager release of the lists makes sense.

I agree, it's been a good year, although the only album I have on the first list is the Laura Marling one, on the second her + Songhoy Blues + Dylan - all of which I do like a lot.

I'd probably place Frazey Ford, Ray Lamontagne & The Flaming Lips in my Top 10. I guess Springsteen & Bill Callahan too.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Probably no coincidence that the first two AOTY lists are coming from record sites that want to shift records for Christmas. Only instances where the over eager release of the lists makes sense.

Agree 100%. Also, that recordstore list is crapola.

These lists will come in handy as I've really struggled with new stuff this year. I've not ignored new releases but there's not been an album I've been obsessed with, Apple Music Replay 2020 is all from 2019 backwards. Expect Springsteen, Willie J Healey, RTJ4 and The Streets to be on my top ten.

14 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Definitely one that I think you'll enjoy. I really liked it when it was released then forgot all about it until I revisited it last week but it's a great album. Reminds me a lot of DIIV's last album.

I really enjoyed it, aye. Definitely get the DIIV comparisons too. 

46 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Have to say I'm a bit surprised in the love the JARV IS album has been getting. I mean, it was fine but it's not even troubling my long list.

Yeah I gave it a listen and it was probably better than I expected but can’t say I’ve had much desire to go back to it, although maybe these lists will give me a nudge to do so.

Considering this list is from Uncut I’m gonna assume their high ranking is due to it having an oldie like Jarvis involved rather than it actually be a particularly great album. These types of magazines just love holding on to their classic musicians.