Jump to content

Green Man 2021


Gilgamesh69

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, incident said:

Surely being in Wales means that the situation can't be directly compared - the reasons given by Bearded and Shambala (and just about every other festival to have cancelled) amount to a lack of support / guidance / certainty coming from Westminster, whereas all the relevant aspects are devolved so the conversations Green Man are having with the Welsh Government could be entirely different.

Yep! Good point! Have the Welsh government been more helpful towards organisers of large events? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2021 at 3:48 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

Yep! Good point! Have the Welsh government been more helpful towards organisers of large events? 

Not outwardly but that’s not really their style to be fair. The other thing is there is an election in May so it may all change so even if it were the case they were giving assurances behind closed doors, it could all fall flat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im starting to think it's not gonna happen, dudes. Boomtown cancelled. Latitude postponing their announcement....

Another year not in a field watching indie stalwarts and up & comers, beer in hand.

It doesnt bear thinking about. But I think we are gonna have to think about it. 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, retromoz said:

Im starting to think it's not gonna happen, dudes. Boomtown cancelled. Latitude postponing their announcement....

Another year not in a field watching indie stalwarts and up & comers, beer in hand.

It doesnt bear thinking about. But I think we are gonna have to think about it. 😞

I suspect you're right. I'm happy to roll tickets over to next year (disappointed though obviously) but an announcement sooner rather than later would be good - our backup plan is to find somewhere to go on holiday (UK based) instead, but affordable options are disappearing fast. 

Edited by CoupeyCoupey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting read below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56850425

This was published before yesterday’s announcements which was definitely positive. More dates moved forwards by 2 weeks, and a date for indoor hospitality opening of may 17.

We have the momentum, and think in three weeks time we’ll know either way

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also an extract from Mark Drakeford’s interview with wales online is below:

 

So providing the pilots go well, cases stay low and you win the election, the middle of June wouldn't be an unthinkable date for events like festivals restarting?

I think that is a fair way of putting it. It's not unthinkable.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If tickets do go on sale, I'm guessing there won't be that many - presumably most people rolled over from 2020?

I'm looking to try to bag 5 tickets to rescue my festival summer after three events now pulled. My 3rd Green Man would be a lovely way to emerge from this period of madness...

Ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

If tickets do go on sale, I'm guessing there won't be that many - presumably most people rolled over from 2020?

I'm looking to try to bag 5 tickets to rescue my festival summer after three events now pulled. My 3rd Green Man would be a lovely way to emerge from this period of madness...

Ben

Hi Ben. This was a tweet from a few weeks back. I don’t think there’s any more precise information available I’m afraid. 

 

F013AB74-EFDA-4C81-9A4E-E860DC22B000.jpeg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And yet again we get the “hopeful” and  “lineup released in the next month or so” reply from twitter.

Cases in wales are still dropping (August levels), which is astonishing given schools are back, shops are open as well as outdoor hospitality... god bless you everyone involved with the vaccine and rollout!

My confidence is increasing day on day that we are going to have an unbelievable summer!  

The main threats are lack of insurance and foreign travel (variants) for the festival.

We have an election a week today and hopefully Labour get back in, and introduce the insurance scheme. No reason to think the second part will happen apart from this optimism wave i’m riding (first part looking promising though).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

We have an election a week today and hopefully Labour get back in, and introduce the insurance scheme. No reason to think the second part will happen apart from this optimism wave i’m riding (first part looking promising though).

 

Glad to see some positivity! I'm almost apprehensive to check my emails or this forum at this point, just in case. 

I've not been following the Welsh election, but just checked the odds. How nice it must be to not live in Tory-land! Is it still looking like there could be a change of Labour leadership post-election and any indication of policy changes? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShakeyCrash said:

 

We have an election a week today and hopefully Labour get back in, and introduce the insurance scheme. No reason to think the second part will happen apart from this optimism wave i’m riding (first part looking promising though).

 

Oh is that actually something that might be happening in Wales? Good work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JHad said:

Glad to see some positivity! I'm almost apprehensive to check my emails or this forum at this point, just in case. 

I've not been following the Welsh election, but just checked the odds. How nice it must be to not live in Tory-land! Is it still looking like there could be a change of Labour leadership post-election and any indication of policy changes? 

Nothing that exciting, and pledges are pretty modest but the obvious thing is covid response in my opinion. Drakeford should stay as first minister and is polling well, however he won’t stay a full term. Policy will obviously change if labour need to form a coalition with Plaid which is possible. Plaid’s main policy is an independence vote, but not sure if they would get this through.

 

26 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Oh is that actually something that might be happening in Wales? Good work

My boy @Gilgamesh69 i don’t want to let you down but this was just a hypothetical sorry. I have more trust drakeford would do it but no indication that this is on the cards. I’d like someone to ask him the question as he does tend to be honest in his responses

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ShakeyCrash said:

And yet again we get the “hopeful” and  “lineup released in the next month or so” reply from twitter.

Cases in wales are still dropping (August levels), which is astonishing given schools are back, shops are open as well as outdoor hospitality... god bless you everyone involved with the vaccine and rollout!

My confidence is increasing day on day that we are going to have an unbelievable summer!  

The main threats are lack of insurance and foreign travel (variants) for the festival.

We have an election a week today and hopefully Labour get back in, and introduce the insurance scheme. No reason to think the second part will happen apart from this optimism wave i’m riding (first part looking promising though).

 

I genuinely don't think that variants are likely to cause any major issues this summer. The vaccine efficacy is so excellent that even this shower's border policy shambles hasn't seen a negative impact, and at least they're taking the red list more seriously now.

The deal-breaker will be whether or not GM can hold on long enough without insurance. As it stands, Drakeford's mutterings seems to give us hope. I genuinely think it'll be a question of 'nerve', given that so many comparable earlier and later events in England have already bailed.

Lordy I hope they can...! Then just the small issue of getting 5 tickets in whatever sale they then hold!

Ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i don't think there's a logical reason it can't go ahead. if necessary they could make the Far Out tent an open air stage and ask people to wear masks in crowds.  the enjoyment the majority of people would get from the festival going ahead is worth the small risk of transmission imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Chawk said:

i don't think there's a logical reason it can't go ahead. if necessary they could make the Far Out tent an open air stage and ask people to wear masks in crowds.  the enjoyment the majority of people would get from the festival going ahead is worth the small risk of transmission imo

That’s if the situation remains the same. It’s impossible to say for certain what the state of play will be in June let alone August. 
 

I agree that it’s looking very promising, but if the festival stumps up loads of money and then has to cancel the event last minute..... with no insurance that cause financial ruin 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kind of interesting they've now given a date range for more news after EOTR has kind of said it's announcing an altered line-up next week.

On insurance, and there's been another AIF report today warning of the potential for mass cancellations, it should be noted that the (Tory-chaired) DCMS were urging Sunak to extend the insurance scheme to festivals in the first week of the year: https://www.musicweek.com/live/read/dcms-committee-urges-government-to-extend-insurance-schemes-for-festivals/082325

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...