Green Man 2021

Gilgamesh69

Our bus back to London on Monday morning was full, practically maskless, and people coughing all over the place. I've tested every morning and haven't got it yet. But who knows...

I've had a light sore throat and have been a bit phlegmy, but I smoked and boozed hard all weekend (and I am not used to smoking loads). So I am putting it down to your standard festival fall-out.

Fucking great weekend though. So long as I don't die, it was worth it.

Edited by majormajormajor

5 hours ago, Jeel said:

Got pinged today. Anyone else had the joy?

I must confess to deleting the app when it became apparent that HMG were making self isolation a matter of choice but both myself and partner have done 3 negative LF tests since getting back so looks like we're ok.  We've heard however that both parents of my niece's husband have tested positive since coming back.  We did avoid close contact and crowded areas though.

2 hours ago, _Tommy_ said:

Personal highlight for me was ending up on a table in the Courtyard next to a guy who was ringing a friend and me overhearing "guess how many tents are at Greenman which has 20,000 people here...yeh, 8,000 tents...and guess whos tent a bloody paraglider crashed into and wrecked!?"

Did anyone else see the paraglider come in during (I think) Yazmin Lacey's set? Well, I happened to have a beer with the guy who's tent got flattened! Shouldn't laugh, but very funny. Greenman apparently set up a replacement tent, told him to leave the tent and they will buy a new one and send it on to them - fair enough.

I'd forgotten about that! It was the previous day, during Nuha Ruby Ra. I'd love to know what happened next to the paraglider as it just out of view of what you can see of the campsite from the hill.

Given I haven't posted about it myself yet... it felt crowded especially early on compared to normal, but I don't know whether it actually was or it was because I haven't been around people. The queues didn't seem that much longer than I recalled but it did seem more expensive nearly all round, which is understandable. Sorry that my milkshake request seems to have broken the Tea Stop bus' blender. Toilets weren't great and there's not much point in leaving signs about how much sawdust to put in the cup when some of us didn't have cups, but as I posted earlier every festival seems to have had toilet issues, and the sanitiser there was so strong I wouldn't be surprised if it's the sole reason I've avoided becoming infected.

I was in the queue for 1 hour 40 minutes, more than double the worst I can recall before then, and I don't think it was just the extra testing delays we expected because that was well past when the stewards were going down the line checking the Passes. What I did notice were those with trolleys were being told to park them on the corner and join the line where they would usually come out, so they were basically able to jump the queue and hold the others back a little more. By running (passing Big Jeff on the way) I caught Wet Leg's last song and a half, but ending with Chaise Longue was a) fortunate and b) a joy apparent from the band's reaction that was replicated several times over the weekend. Lynks was a revelation and Yard Act and Working Men's Club also stood out by being a lot better and more detailed live than I'd found them on record.

Nuha was a great way to kick off the Mountain stage, also great on the Friday were Big Joanie, Modern Woman, Sister Wives, Vanishing Twin and Caribou, but it absolutely belonged to Nadine Shah, powerful and commanding, and clearly overwhelmed by the audience. I also liked that she hung around, she was in front of me watching Lyr on Sunday.

The Met Office app was predicting potential thunderstorms on Saturday for a while but at least the rain was less than anticipated and the ground largely actually held up, though that heavy shower just before dusk was unwelcome, and in some ways added to the effect of Gwenifer Raymond's soundscapes just as much as Peaness playing when it stopped did. Missing Black Midi was eased by how good Gruff Rhys was. Richard Dawson absolutely commanded the big stage by himself, and I love how he started with Joe The Quilt-Maker, twelve minutes of acapella murder folk storytelling, then a minute later was declaiming "STOP FANNYING AROUND" in Two Halves (the juxtaposition got quite some pleasing laughter) Thought Mogwai took time in getting going but it clicked eventually and the encore with Gruff followed by Fear Satan felt special. Also mention for Emma-Jean Thackray, the Orielles, Pictish Trail, Do Nothing and Pete Paphides/Caitlin Moran/Michael J Sheehy, the only problem with that being I bought the hardback of Broken Greek a year ago so didn't have the signing as an excuse to tell him how much I loved it.

As for Sunday, glad Panic Shack have had a few mentions, I first saw what I believe was their third gig towards the end of 2019 they were already amazing. Didn't think there were a lot of standouts (missed Fontaines for Teenage Fanclub, who felt a little pedestrian, and Gwenno, whose reworkings of her catalogue were interesting more than a big finish) but Ghostpoet somehow made music intended for dark rooms work in a huge natural light space, and Self Esteem has become an amazing singular pop star and presence - I hope the acapella I Do This All The Time from the record shop set gets recorded somewhere.

5 hours ago, _Tommy_ said:

Personal highlight for me was ending up on a table in the Courtyard next to a guy who was ringing a friend and me overhearing "guess how many tents are at Greenman which has 20,000 people here...yeh, 8,000 tents...and guess whos tent a bloody paraglider crashed into and wrecked!?"

Did anyone else see the paraglider come in during (I think) Yazmin Lacey's set? Well, I happened to have a beer with the guy who's tent got flattened! Shouldn't laugh, but very funny. Greenman apparently set up a replacement tent, told him to leave the tent and they will buy a new one and send it on to them - fair enough.

looooooooool!

We saw the paragliders (I'm pretty sure we saw two) come dropping in and wondered what the fuck was going on.

Can't have been a Glastonbury-type fence jumper because tickets weren't difficult to come by at all, but how the fuck do you end up paragliding into a fucking festival by accident?

Hope the guy who's tent it was got to give the paraglider a very hard punch by way of thanks.

Presume nobody was hurt? Could've been really really nasty if there had been somebody in the tent. Quite worrying to think about what could've happened if children were in the tent.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

looooooooool!

We saw the paragliders (I'm pretty sure we saw two) come dropping in and wondered what the fuck was going on.

Can't have been a Glastonbury-type fence jumper because tickets weren't difficult to come by at all, but how the fuck do you end up paragliding into a fucking festival by accident?

Hope the guy who's tent it was got to give the paraglider a very hard punch by way of thanks.

Presume nobody was hurt? Could've been really really nasty if there had been somebody in the tent. Quite worrying to think about what could've happened if children were in the tent.

No, he told me it was a showboating incident gone wrong. 

Nobody was hurt but it was in accessibility camping so could have been disastrous if the worst had happened.

I believe security watched 'them' - there was two blokes in the chair - come down and jumped on them within seconds so no arguments could happen.

However, the funniest bit I forgot to mention was that he told me one of the guys piloting was dressed in a school boys outfit like Angus Young. I couldn't hold myself together when he told me one of ACDC had crushed his tent! 

Finally recovered, and just reading some of the comments here.  Honestly can't believe there's ANY negativity (apart from perhaps the queue to get in) - that was by far the best festival I've ever been to in so many ways.  OK, MAYBE the loos and bar near the Far Out were a bit too rammed, and perhaps the urinal designs need a bit of work (and more unblocking), but otherwise....what a weekend!  

Its testament to the festival that my overriding memories are positive DESPITE almost having a life-changing incident (everyone's fine, but there was a period of a couple of hours by the circus tent where it was hairy).

On paper I was worried the music was a bit M.O.R for me, but so many good discoveries, and it felt like there was always the right sort of variety at the right times.  The headliners were all well thought through, and all played blinders in my book.

We didn't even discover Round the Twist until Saturday morning, as there was always something to see.  The toilets barely stunk, the showers were great, beer...wow, people so nice and tidy, barely any w*nkers, so much space to watch bands in (I've never had so much space to dance to headline sets)...I could go on.

Thanks everyone for keeping me sane in this forum in the build up to the fest!

• Upvote 3

On 8/23/2021 at 5:19 PM, grumpyhack said:

Just dropped the caravan off at the storage site and back home.  So lovely to be at a festival again (my only one this year thanks to Covid cancellations).  Hats off to the excellent Green Man organisation.  Getting in to the campervan field was a doddle and no queues or hold ups anywhere.  The compost toilets worked well, food and other stalls OK and all you needed.

Shame I didn't manage to meet up with any other EFesters but our gang of four had a great time.

We are thinking of going next year but have heard it’s very cramped in the camper van field and on a slope. What did you think? We are used to EoTR which has a lovely flat camper van field with big, marked out pitches

thanks 

We had no problems.  I've got a big twin axle caravan and parked it up with no problems putting up a full length awning and then two small tents behind it and the car alongside.  There is a bit of a slope but nothing the caravan legs couldn't cope with to get it completely level.