Jump to content

Green Man 2021


Gilgamesh69

Recommended Posts

Excellent weekend all round. 

 

A massive thank you from the heart of my bottom to whoever found my phone (+£40 quid + bank card + driving license)  at round 2pm on Sunday & took it to lost property for me to claim it at 7pm. A truly excellent thing to do, all the love to whoever it was xxx

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2021 at 10:13 AM, Memory Man said:

I dont think the masses of chair & blanket type punters helps with moving around, i agree it was easy to get to get a good view of stages especially if you arrived in good time.

What's wrong with chair and blanket type punters?  If you are an old fart like me with a knackered back or parents with young children a chair or blanket can be very helpful.  And the C&B punters didn't seem to be blocking anyone else's movements or enjoyment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

What's wrong with chair and blanket type punters?  If you are an old fart like me with a knackered back or parents with young children a chair or blanket can be very helpful.  And the C&B punters didn't seem to be blocking anyone else's movements or enjoyment.

I don't mind if it's toward the back, but I saw some people sat down at the front  even when it was crowded, like during the headliners or whatever. Even when it finished and people were trying to leave, they still wouldn't budge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My very brief thoughts on what I saw.

The Cool Greenhouse
After the long queue to get in I'm glad I chose these over Yard Act. Funny, catchy and just right to go along with a beer in the sun. 8/10

PVA
I remember really enjoying their set at the time but kept forgetting that I had actually seen them throughout the weekend. 7/10

Horseman & The Uppercut Band
They were alright, not a band that I would particularly rush to see again or buy any of their stuff but it passed time quite enjoyably. 6/10

Workingmen's Club
I had big hopes for these before the festival and I had been listening quite a lot recently. The set was good but maybe didn't live up to my expectations, could have been due to the on stage problems. A lot of people I spoke to were raving about them though so may have just been me. 6.5/10

Nuha Ruby Ra
I only caught the beginning of her set but really liked what I heard. I know she won the Rising competition but I would have preferred to have seen her somewhere more intimate and darker. 8/10(for the bit I was there for)

JOHN
The first of my must see bands for the weekend. Like the proverbial can of Cuprinol, they do exactly what they say on the tin: fast, loud, aggressive, all called John. I enjoyed it but I'd like to have a bit more light and shade throughout the set, it got a bit one dimensional after a while. 7/10

Big Joanie
The second of my 'must sees'. A set of two halves this one with the second half being a lot better than the first. I'm not sure if it was a bit of a dodgy mix on the sound or if they just chose a few of their plodders to open up with but it took a while for them to get going. 6/10

Wu-Lu
A hat-trick of must sees. I loved their looseness and the way they switched from super-chill to super-aggressive and back again. A 30 minutes set may have suited them better to concentrate their stronger material. 7/10

Los Bitchos
A nice change of pace from what I had already seen. Happy music for happy people. 7/10

Nadine Shah
The last of my must sees for the day. Brilliant performance, she looked like she belonged on a stage that size. 8.5/10

Ibibio Sound Machine
My stamina was starting to wane at this point after a few too many Growlers. I just remember that it was a lot emptier than the crowd had been for Greentea Peng when we arrived. 5/10 because I don't remember much of it

Charlotte Church's Late Night Pop Dungeon
Could have been the best set of the weekend but my body gave up on me and I fell asleep sometime after War Pigs. 7/10 for playing War Pigs.

Peaness
Nice, wholesome pop music. A bit too twee for me. 7/10

Peggy Sue
I don't know if it was the hangover or the sound but I struggled to hear them so struggled to get into them. 5.5/10

Newdad
After taking some time to recuperate from the previous night's excess some jangly-guitar based indie-pop was a nice way to ease back into things. 6/10

Sinead O'Brien
I enjoyed the arty-talking-pop but she may need a few lessons in crowd interaction. 7/10

BC Camplight
Yes to bouncy, synthy stuff! No to drawn out introspection! 8/10 for the synthy stuff 5/10 for the rest.

The Orielles
My first 'must see' of the day and another must see that was slightly underwhelming. I don't know if I had been building bands up too much in my mind but I found them particularly 'meh'. 5/10

Black Midi
Finally a must see band that not only lived up to expectations but totally blew them out of the water and beyond the stratosphere. One of, and possibly even the best live shows I've seen. Complex, challenging, fun, irreverent, mimes, smoking jackets and slippers. It had everything! 10/10

Do Nothing
I went to catch some of their set before Mogwai, sadly Black Midi had just ruined all music for me so I didn't enjoy them quite as much as I would have done if they had played a couple of hours earlier. Still good though. 7/10

Mogwai
Just what I needed to bring me down from a Black Midi high. The moon rising couldn't have been timed any better. Loved them. 9/10

Speedboat
Yes to the Devo-y/Rezillos-y type stuff! No to the smooth Terence Trent D'Arby 80s pop type stuff! 8/10 for the Devo style bits 4/10 for the rest.

The Golden Dregs
Really cool stuff and great on a sunny Sunday afternoon. We couldn't quite pick out whose voice the singer's sounded like. We ruled out Nick Cave, Johnny Cash, Neil Hannan and John Spencer before giving up. Any one know who it is? 8/10

Crack Cloud
Some really interesting ideas I wasn't blown away though. 7/10

Panic Shack
Amazing! Pure, unbridled fun from the first song to the last. 10/10

Snapped Ankles
A lot, lot better live than on record. Lots of bouncy synths, costumes, people in costumes planted in the crowd, what's not to like? 8/10

We Are the Robots
Kraftwerk tribute in the Round the Twist tent. A guy with some mannequins playing Kraftwerk songs, I loved everything about it. 9/10

Dream Wife
I didn't know much about them other than "Hey Heartbreaker". Totally blew me away and are now one of my favourite new bands. 10/10

Gwenno
My fifth time seeing Gwenno and probably my least enjoyable - it could have been due to a post Dream Wife high though. 4/10

Will and the People
Didn't know anything about them, I probably wouldn't buy any of their stuff and can't imagine going to see them specifically. But they were perfect band to close the festival out with. Fun, upbeat, a mix of styles. Loved it. 9/10

The Food
A bit hit and miss. Crispy Duck Fries were a hit, the tartiflette from Le Grand Bouffe on the last night was inedible!!

The Toilets
The less said about them the better.

The Grog
Cracking, the queues weren't too bad for the most part although I always seemed to get stuck behind a group of 7 who wouldn't decide what they want to drink until they got to the till and would spend forever deciding what they want. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I don't mind if it's toward the back, but I saw some people sat down at the front  even when it was crowded, like during the headliners or whatever. Even when it finished and people were trying to leave, they still wouldn't budge

I've been a chair person for quite a few years but I always sit towards the back at Glastonbury, Green Man or any other festival and check that I'm not blocking anyone's view.  At Green Man we largely sat at the top of the hill on the left of the Mountain Stage and well outside in areas like Far Out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sprocketrocket said:

I normally go to Glastonbury but I'm tiring of it now - the squabble to get tickets, the sheer size of it, I'm thinking Green Man may be the replacement for me. 

My solution is definitely both, as long as I have a crowd 😀.

 

Also... Black Midi. I just do not get this fucking band. Don't get them on record, but thought maybe live they'll be good? Dear God no! Least enjoyable set of the weekend; I had to leave and retire to the tree.

Genuinely though - clearly just a band that just aren't for me. But it's rare that I dislike a band this much that others seem to rave about 😅. Anyway, on you all go...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

My solution is definitely both, as long as I have a crowd 😀.

 

Also... Black Midi. I just do not get this fucking band. Don't get them on record, but thought maybe live they'll be good? Dear God no! Least enjoyable set of the weekend; I had to leave and retire to the tree.

Genuinely though - clearly just a band that just aren't for me. But it's rare that I dislike a band this much that others seem to rave about 😅. Anyway, on you all go...

I think black midi may just be the most 'marmite' band around at the moment.

(personally I think they're frickin great)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, somehow Fiona and the team pulled off the impossible with a few weeks to go and pulled out a blinder. Considering everything, it may go down as the best. According to the programme TBA seemed to be the hardest working group of the weekend, but it showed how much work the organisers were still doing in the short lead up to the event.

 

Luckily we’d won Settlers tickets a couple of years ago and finally got to use them. How great was it to be back - we’d missed it so much, as evidently had everyone, including the performers, stewards and crew?! As ever, I loved the random encounters with strangers and overheard snippets of conversations as people wander past. All were unanimously positive (toilet conversations excepted) and so appreciative.

 

We arrived on the Monday, planning to spend the night back home on Wednesday to regroup, and take advantage of the facilities.  This proved to be impossible in the end, so we had a full week of festival fun. It also meant my brother could come for the first time who was unsurprisingly blown away and is planning to come back with his whole family next time. Amazingly, despite lasting until the very end of each day and nearly drinking Brecon Brewery dry, I felt surprisingly ok on the next Monday (albeit very tired)

 

I hit the Settlers bar in the afternoon and worked my way through the three offerings from Brecon Brewery. Growlers’ (Pale and IPA)  were lovely as ever but highlight was the new Last Mango. Can we get this added to the selections in the main bar/s please?

 

I basked in the luxury of not having to work and spent most of the days chilling, drinking and reading. Food choices were limited but very good - pizzas were lovely, Indian Street Food fab and the bacon rolls and lamb samosas etc from the shop, sublime

 

Music selection was great, curated by Libertino Records. Highlights include Graft Union, Jim Ghedi and Toby Hay, Amelyi, Eve Goodman, Nfamady Kouyate, Bandicoot and Taf Rapids. Most fun was the drag act by Ade HD who had the crowd wrapped around her finger at 1am and included a mass pint downing from everyone. She also did storytelling for kids in the daytime which was brilliant. If you’re a teacher, book her immediately! Nfamady Kouyate played at least 4 times over the week as far as I can tell, so must have been exhausted by the end.

 

Comedy was fun, as was the quiz. Tried the Stargazing which was fascinating but missed out on Silent Disco - looked like the crowd were having a blast though.

 

The main event kicked off to lovely sunshine on Thursday. The weather was truly amazing, considering the forecasts. Apart from an overnight deluge we only had a couple of hours of rain on Saturday  which led to some serendipitous discoveries we wouldn’t have made otherwise, so all good.

 

I recall Thursday music starting teatime-ish previously, so it was nice to have an afternoon programme as well this year. That said, we missed Wet Leg and Shovel Collective, but did catch a bonkers set from Lynks, dressed in a sequin onesey with horns, who were great. FO opened the sides up (due to Covid I’d imagine) which I preferred but did cause sound bleed issues occasionally listening to quieter stuff in WG. Tried a weird non-alcoholic cocktail (Sentia) that promised to mimic the effects of real booze via GABA  - the jury is still out TBH. The evening was spent wandering (Horseman did a solid reggae set in CW), so didn’t catch much  in the the evening either, but still had a fab time.

 

Friday kicked off with the customary Bloody Mary and Kedgeree and we settled in the Walled Garden for Fenne Lily, Home Counties and Katy J Pearson. Fenne lacked a little stage presence but was still enjoyable and the other two were great. Headed back to pick up wine, then more WG - Vanishing Twin & GreenTea Peng (both fab). My wife was at front of GTP but rejoined us as at the back as she was getting too high from the amount of weed being consumed. Then over to FO for Shame who were magnificent (with an orchestra!), Caribou, Nfamady, Charlotte Church and Ross from Friends. I’d seen RfF at Farmfest a few weeks ago but this set was even better. Looking down into the Mountain Stage for Caribou it looked like the biggest audience I’d ever seen there. Was very emotional to see so many people back together once more. Ended up at CW until 4 then back to van. Great DJing as ever from DoS and a perfect way to see out the night. Top treat: Goat Curry from Caribbean Shack plus Ginga Ninja’s from CWs

 

Bleary eyed, we headed out on Saturday into a deluge, Unfortunately, Gwenifer Raymond (who was a must see) lost out and we took our BMs into CWs and caught a highlight of the weekend, Ayanna Witter-Johnson on cello who was sublime. Wolfed down one of the American Hamburgers from nearby, which was amazing (even more so as I’d mistakingly ordered the double!) and then Sound of the Sirens followed who were fun. Finally the rain had stopped so we left to see Richard Dawson in the sunshine on the Mountain Stage who was astonishing as ever. Over to FO for BC Camplight, then This is the Kit, Gruff Rhys and Mogwai on MS. It was nice to see Sweet Baboo playing at GM again (with Gruff) but wished he did a solo set as well. I believe he played with a few other groups according to GM Radio, but am unsure who they were? Kit and Gruff were great, but Mogwai left us cold, so over to Walled Garden for Hen Ogledd (another highlight). In between, at some point, we caught Pictish Trail who are firm favourite and were brill. Watched DJ Rap tear the roof off FO, and finished up at CW for DJs until 4. Top treat: Jerk Chicken from Caribbean Shack

 

Sadly, Sunday came too quickly but we took our BM and bacon roll from the Smokery and camped at Mountain Stage.  Musically the curation here (and the WG) was perfect for the end of the festival vibe (in glorious sunshine as well). Billie Martin was amazing, as was Matt Maltese. I’d bumped into his Canadian parents just before, who were lovely and so proud. Saw the end of Broadside Hacks (phenomenal), a bit of Phoebe Green, and then Erland Cooper who was stunning. Staves have gone all Fleetwood but still some of the best harmonies out there, Thundercat was, well Thundercat, but Fontaines blew the roof off. Last live act of the festival was Will and the People who were exceptional and blew the crowd away.  We finished off with a bit of Northern Soul in WG, some more DJs from CWs and the last film (BlackBear) which was suitabley nuts. Top treat: Rum BBQ Chicken from Caribbean Shack (sense a theme here….?) plus Usain Bolts from CWs.

 

Top 5 (cheating coz no.1 is actually 2 but they were both amazing)

Hen Ogledd / Richard Dawson - astonishes me every time

Shame - mesmerising, loved the orchestra addition too

Ayanna Witter-Johnson -  never heard of her, but amazing stage presence and musicality

Fontaines - ferocious end to the night

Will and the People - most fun with your clothes on (that said the took off most of theirs)

 

Just missed out

Erland Cooper - haunting and spellbinding

GreenTea Peng - woozy, dreamy beats, captivated the crowd

Home Counties - witty, driving motorik post punk

Katy J Pearson - folky, electronic beats, entrancing

Vanishing Twin - dreamy, electronic beats, entrancing

Pictish Trail - only artist to play every GM, always excellent

Billie Martin - lovely way to start the last day

Broadside Hacks - great folk collective

DJ Rap - old skool beats, blew the sides off the tent

BC Camplight - dreamy, sunshiney beats, entrancing

This is the Kit - played with Rozi, always beautiful

Gruff Rhys - lovely to see Sweet Baboo again, Gruff smashed it

 

Gutted to have missed:

H Hawkline

Surfing Magazines

Stephen Fretwell

Los Bitchos

Gwenifer Raymond

Peaness

Catrin Finch

Melin Melyn

Prima Queen

Lump

Black Midi

Jose Gonzalez

Golden Dregs

Run Come Down

Self Esteem

Dreamwife

Gwenno

Caroline

BloodWizard

Kokoroko

Peggy Sue

Edited by staffop
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Newbie here, been lurking for a while. This forum has been really useful for festival info, so I thought I may as well join in. My second GM, having migrated from EOTR as it's closer and the dates work better for me. I still miss EOTR, but I think the last few GM lineups have been far better as well. 

My thoughts: great to be back in a field, and so chuffed that my washout fears from the beginning of the week turned out to be unfounded. There was so much music to enjoy. Like most people, I suspect, I had a list of must-sees, curious-abouts, wouldn't-minds and a few not-with-a-bargepoles. Didn't see a whole lot on Thursday, but the Cool Greenhouse were great. On Friday, Surfing Magazines were fun, Nadine was inspirational and Shame were fantastic, though with nowhere near as big a crowd as I expected. Not a fan of Caribou myself, but I guess I am in the minority. Saturday was about Mogwai for me. they didn't disappoint, though I can't help thinking some kind of back projection might have lifted it visually. Great teeth-rattling finale though. Otherwise, Black Midi were everything I hoped. It's been a while since I've seen a genuinely musically innovative band who don't take themselves too seriously (I'm looking at you, Radiohead). The Pete Paphides thing in Babbling Tongues was fun, especially with his wife stepping in to do the interviewing and Michael J Sheehy providing musical interludes. Richard Dawson was mentioned, so I went to see him on the main stage. Glad I did. It was very post-punk on the Far Out stage on Sunday. Not complaining. Snapped Ankles were especially great. Managed to catch the end of Squid. Great atmosphere for that one. Who was doing the dancing in the last song? She had some moves. I wasn't keen on Thundercat or Self-Esteem, but was dragged along to the former. I started getting a headache after about 5 minutes. Great musical chops, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. So I decamped to see a bit of Self-Esteem, and was pleasantly surprised. Once I got over the choreographed dance moves it was pretty uplifting. Gwenno/Fontaines/Teenage Fanclub was the big clash for me. Gwenno was always going to lose out, so I decided to catch the start of TFC, then FDC, then the end of TFC. Ended up staying far longer at TFC than planned, just couldn't tear myself away. As a result I only saw a bit of Fontaines, who seemed entirely comfortable on the big stage, and going down a storm. I felt sorry for the Fannies though, they deserved a main stage slot. It was quiet in Far Out.

Non-music wise, the food was pretty good, especially the always reliable Goan Fish Curry. Everybody seemed happy to be there. That bit of rain on Saturday did no real harm. The only real downer for me was the toilet situation. As someone who suffers from IBS it's quite a big thing for me. The urinals were at such an angle that half could only be used by Peter Crouch and the lower end was always in danger of overflowing. But I feel especially sorry for the ladies. Those "eco" toilets were foul. I totally get the need to minimise the ecological impact of festival waste, but in a world of technology there must be a better way that doesn't involve going back to the dark ages. And as a paying punter I do object to spending that amount of money to shit in a wheelie bin. This was the only shadow over the weekend for me. And it might be a first-world problem, but then we are paying first-world prices.

All-in-all, a great weekend. When do early birds go on sale for next year?

 

 

Edited by windpipe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2021 at 3:50 PM, grumpyhack said:

What's wrong with chair and blanket type punters?  If you are an old fart like me with a knackered back or parents with young children a chair or blanket can be very helpful.  And the C&B punters didn't seem to be blocking anyone else's movements or enjoyment.

It's only a tiny, bizarrely behaved minority that seem to give a bad name to this. Most people on chairs/blankets are pretty sensibly placed (or as sensibly as they can be) and if they make it so families/people who can't stand all day get to enjoy things, great

 

You just get the odd situation like people setting up on chairs at the front of Far Out stubbornly refusing to move or families who've set up three picnic blankets at 1pm in the Walled Garden getting huffy with people dancing/moving around them come 8pm. Similar to the gazebo issue in the campsites I guess, seems heavy-handed to put rules in place banning them but can understand why people get hacked off

I know it causes problems for crowd movement on the mountain stage, especially on the terraces, but I don't think it'd be fair to ban them entirely

Edited by Placid-Casual
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, fuzzy_logic said:

I think black midi may just be the most 'marmite' band around at the moment.

(personally I think they're frickin great)

Richard Dawson for me, I know some people absolutely love him but I don't get it and he was getting a lot of hate in the bloody mary queue during his set 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rug568 said:

Richard Dawson for me, I know some people absolutely love him but I don't get it and he was getting a lot of hate in the bloody mary queue during his set 

Richard Dawson is a very clever man. It's my simple brain does not want to watch him. I'll very happily leave him to big brained others. Who don't like tunes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi people, 

Might seem like a strange question but is there a craft area? My wife loves craft ( runs her own craft business) and especially loves doing a bit of craft at a festival. I'm really keen to go to this next year and I think I'd be able to convince my wife if she knew there was craft to do. 

 

Thanks in advance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, windpipe said:

Newbie here, been lurking for a while. This forum has been really useful for festival info, so I thought I may as well join in. My second GM, having migrated from EOTR as it's closer and the dates work better for me. I still miss EOTR, but I think the last few GM lineups have been far better as well. 

My thoughts: great to be back in a field, and so chuffed that my washout fears from the beginning of the week turned out to be unfounded. There was so much music to enjoy. Like most people, I suspect, I had a list of must-sees, curious-abouts, wouldn't-minds and a few not-with-a-bargepoles. Didn't see a whole lot on Thursday, but the Cool Greenhouse were great. On Friday, Surfing Magazines were fun, Nadine was inspirational and Shame were fantastic, though with nowhere near as big a crowd as I expected. Not a fan of Caribou myself, but I guess I am in the minority. Saturday was about Mogwai for me. they didn't disappoint, though I can't help thinking some kind of back projection might have lifted it visually. Great teeth-rattling finale though. Otherwise, Black Midi were everything I hoped. It's been a while since I've seen a genuinely musically innovative band who don't take themselves too seriously (I'm looking at you, Radiohead). The Pete Paphides thing in Babbling Tongues was fun, especially with his wife stepping in to do the interviewing and Michael J Sheehy providing musical interludes. Richard Dawson was mentioned, so I went to see him on the main stage. Glad I did. It was very post-punk on the Far Out stage on Sunday. Not complaining. Snapped Ankles were especially great. Managed to catch the end of Squid. Great atmosphere for that one. Who was doing the dancing in the last song? She had some moves. I wasn't keen on Thundercat or Self-Esteem, but was dragged along to the former. I started getting a headache after about 5 minutes. Great musical chops, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. So I decamped to see a bit of Self-Esteem, and was pleasantly surprised. Once I got over the choreographed dance moves it was pretty uplifting. Gwenno/Fontaines/Teenage Fanclub was the big clash for me. Gwenno was always going to lose out, so I decided to catch the start of TFC, then FDC, then the end of TFC. Ended up staying far longer at TFC than planned, just couldn't tear myself away. As a result I only saw a bit of Fontaines, who seemed entirely comfortable on the big stage, and going down a storm. I felt sorry for the Fannies though, they deserved a main stage slot. It was quiet in Far Out.

Non-music wise, the food was pretty good, especially the always reliable Goan Fish Curry. Everybody seemed happy to be there. That bit of rain on Saturday did no real harm. The only real downer for me was the toilet situation. As someone who suffers from IBS it's quite a big thing for me. The urinals were at such an angle that half could only be used by Peter Crouch and the lower end was always in danger of overflowing. But I feel especially sorry for the ladies. Those "eco" toilets were foul. I totally get the need to minimise the ecological impact of festival waste, but in a world of technology there must be a better way that doesn't involve going back to the dark ages. And as a paying punter I do object to spending that amount of money to shit in a wheelie bin. This was the only shadow over the weekend for me. And it might be a first-world problem, but then we are paying first-world prices.

All-in-all, a great weekend. When do early birds go on sale for next year?

 

 

They were strange. I'm 6ft odd and I had to use the high end on tip-toe while holding it like an elephant's trunk (a very small elephant, mind). I'm not sure who the genius behind their conception was but no! Although, the hexagonal urinals near Babbling Tongues was a bit of a bog, so they did at least stop that happening. Needs to be a lot more thought put to festival toileting and placement. Not sure you want them directly next to Far Out, for instance. Probably more different areas but less toilets. 

 

Ditto to food stalls. sticking them at the back of the mountain means you take up room which could be used for watching and create much more mud than is necessary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jeel said:

Got pinged today. Anyone else had the joy?

Yes — just pinged, exposure was Sunday. I’m certain on the coach back, when I was one of about three people wearing a mask on a bus full of people coughing. Was a horrible end to the weekend which caused much anxiety. Hope cases remain few, would be very sad for the Festival if it caused a spike. 

Edited by Unreal
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Unreal said:

Yes — just pinged, exposure was Sunday. I’m certain on the coach back, when I was one of about three people wearing a mask on a bus full of people coughing. Was a horrible end to the weekend which caused much anxiety. Hope cases remain few, would be very sad for the Festival if it caused a spike. 

Mine was Saturday and one of the people I was staying with got pinged for Friday. I'm pretty sure I got the shuttle bus there and back to Crick on Saturday and there wasn't the greatest mask uptake. It was also Faux Real in a small half tent..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Unreal said:

Yes — just pinged, exposure was Sunday. I’m certain on the coach back, when I was one of about three people wearing a mask on a bus full of people coughing. Was a horrible end to the weekend which caused much anxiety. Hope cases remain few, would be very sad for the Festival if it caused a spike. 

I walked out to the car early-ish Sunday morning to restock and walking through a campsite where 90% of people were still in bed, all I could hear was snore-cough-snore-cough-cough-cough-cough-snore as I walked past hundreds of tents....

Boardmasters tells us it's going to cause a spike, and it was always going to but that's the tradeoff and the policy of trying to have as high as possible vaccine uptake of people in the festival itself. 

I've had a slight cough/sore throat since getting back* which I would usually point to the standard 'festival flu' you always have after a week on the booze/no sleep, but if it is COVID, then I'm thankful the vaccine has kept it so very light. 

 

*not gone for a test but we have chosen to self isolate anyway until beginning of next week

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also - I will add (because my last post sounded a bit negative), as a debutant at Greenman, I absolutely loved it. It actually kicked off a discussion whether it was better than Glastonbury which is a conversation I thought I would never ever even engage in - but I can see a few ways it wins.

I really look forward to returning next year and seeing it in its full glory after the team have had a full run at setting it up as I agree with the toilets/food stands bits I have seen others cover but they were so marginal for us.

Personal highlight for me was ending up on a table in the Courtyard next to a guy who was ringing a friend and me overhearing "guess how many tents are at Greenman which has 20,000 people here...yeh, 8,000 tents...and guess whos tent a bloody paraglider crashed into and wrecked!?"

Did anyone else see the paraglider come in during (I think) Yazmin Lacey's set? Well, I happened to have a beer with the guy who's tent got flattened! Shouldn't laugh, but very funny. Greenman apparently set up a replacement tent, told him to leave the tent and they will buy a new one and send it on to them - fair enough.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, _Tommy_ said:

I walked out to the car early-ish Sunday morning to restock and walking through a campsite where 90% of people were still in bed, all I could hear was snore-cough-snore-cough-cough-cough-cough-snore as I walked past hundreds of tents....

Boardmasters tells us it's going to cause a spike, and it was always going to but that's the tradeoff and the policy of trying to have as high as possible vaccine uptake of people in the festival itself. 

I've had a slight cough/sore throat since getting back* which I would usually point to the standard 'festival flu' you always have after a week on the booze/no sleep, but if it is COVID, then I'm thankful the vaccine has kept it so very light. 

 

*not gone for a test but we have chosen to self isolate anyway until beginning of next week

I wasn’t going to come until a last minute change of heart on the weds, rationalising that I could keep my distance and wear my mask and that being double jabbed at an outdoor event was the closest I could come to safe/normal. But then almost left on Saturday because I was so worried about the coach journey home — full of regrets now! We sold our EOTR tickets as soon as we got back. All really depressing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Unreal said:

I wasn’t going to come until a last minute change of heart on the weds, rationalising that I could keep my distance and wear my mask and that being double jabbed at an outdoor event was the closest I could come to safe/normal. But then almost left on Saturday because I was so worried about the coach journey home — full of regrets now! We sold our EOTR tickets as soon as we got back. All really depressing!

.

Edited by Unreal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...