Jump to content

Green Man 2021


Gilgamesh69

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Love reading everyone’s reviews - keep me coming!

Interested in all the good reviews of Self Esteem. She’s someone I’ve never completely got on with on record but maybe I’ll have to check her out at Wide Awake. 

I'd had basically 1 proper listen through her first album before seeing her and thought she was superb, helped the crowd were so into as well. The new unreleased tunes were great also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Love reading everyone’s reviews - keep me coming!

Interested in all the good reviews of Self Esteem. She’s someone I’ve never completely got on with on record but maybe I’ll have to check her out at Wide Awake. 

Just to be different and contrary, I've not particularly enjoyed Self Esteem the last couple of times I've seen her and swerved at GM as a result. She was interesting two years ago, but the novelty has worn off for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JHad said:

Just to be different and contrary, I've not particularly enjoyed Self Esteem the last couple of times I've seen her and swerved at GM as a result. She was interesting two years ago, but the novelty has worn off for me.

Also on the contrary front, I saw Self Esteem's set at the last GM and didn't enjoy it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Feels like every sizeable festival has had a lot of complaints about the loos. Are Andy's Loos and the like not operational this year, or committed elsewhere?

I've read elsewhere that there are loads of portable toilets now dotted all around the county servicing pop up vaccination and testing centres, which would explain the shortage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, scuzzboy said:

I've read elsewhere that there are loads of portable toilets now dotted all around the county servicing pop up vaccination and testing centres, which would explain the shortage. 

I thought the idea was to be greener, do away with chemicals and make totally combustible. Anyway, festival toilets are always fucking grim, it's all part of wonderful experience.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Love reading everyone’s reviews - keep me coming!

Interested in all the good reviews of Self Esteem. She’s someone I’ve never completely got on with on record but maybe I’ll have to check her out at Wide Awake. 

I was never overly fussed about Slow Club, or much of the Self Esteem stuff I'd heard, but took a chance and was completely overwhelmed .. definitely my highlight of the weekend.

Two tracks in I sent a 'Get Here Now' message to a couple of friends, which is not a risk I'd normally take but both were thankful.

Would definitely recommend for Wide Awake (unless there's a clash with The Murder capital 😀)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Urinals were a joke. Half the time I could be seen by people walking past! 😂

GM could have been better with throwing down hay/wood chips on Saturday evening and Sunday morning for areas with high footfall but it wasn’t too bad.  I complain about this everywhere I go I think.

I loved the food options. At main stage I had Burrito, Dosa, Pizza, Hippy Chips and Roast Potatoes which were good.  Elsewhere seafood curry, brownies were also worth a trip. Gyoza were average.  Festival food is now £8-12 going forward. I think sub £8 food is a pre-pandemic thing, time to make peace with it.

I didn’t think bar queues were any worse in terms of time taken. They looked worse because they had everyone lined up instead of a free for all at the bar. That pushed queues outside.

There were a lot of picnic benches and other places to sit. All very welcome but I can’t remember there being so many previously.

B34092D7-EFC6-4550-9FD0-184F915CF5FA.jpeg

Edited by March Hare
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Was my first green man, was overall impressed! Some of the queues for food, drinks & toilets were more than i was expecting for a festival of this size but it didnt ruin it. It felt very busy most of the time, felt like they’d crammed in the punters at times but i havent a previous green man to compare it to.

i thought the food overall was shocking for a “boutique” festival. Ques were long, prices really expensive and quality really lacking on almost everything i had.  

overall very good and if food provision and ques were a bit better it would be almost perfect

I’ve never heard it described as a boutique festival before. Was then from the festival marketing or word of mouth? Just curious.

Glad you enjoyed your first one. It’s my third now and a permanent fixture in the diary.

Edited by March Hare
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was my first Green Man and I had just the best time - I'm not going to stop banging on about it to anyone who'll listen for a while. 

Musical highlights for me were NewDad, Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita, Crack Cloud and Self Esteem. Oh, and a shout-out to Charlotte Church's Pop Dungeon which was a "medley of dreams", as a friend put it. The number of people chatting through Jose Gonzalez was really disappointing and almost made me want to go elsewhere, but I was glad he got the crowd onboard toward the end.

I also loved the food, but there were some stalls I didn't get to owing to queues/inopportune timing. Definitely the best meal of my weekend was the paella.

Interesting that the toilets are getting complaints. I was really happy with the state of them - never did I open a door on one and have to back out, and only once did I have to use one that was out of paper but that was fine as I had my own. Maybe I just timed my trips to them well.

I'll be back next year and I'm already looking forward to it.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Green Man did a fantastic job this year, the most impressive thing is how 'normal' it all felt. With all the logistical problems Covid has caused it's a miracle they were able to do it all all, you can understand why so many other festivals were forced to cancel even after we moved out of lockdown. 

 

Highlight for me was Porridge Radio, got a little emotional during Lilac at the end of their set. 2020 should have been their year really but Covid fucked them over pretty hard, the last album came out the same week the UK went into the first lockdown so all the momentum they should have had from good reviews/Mercury nomination was taken away. I'd seen them on the Rising Stage in 2019 and it's always nice to see acts move up the bill and the bigger stages but this felt particularly special, proof that it hadn't just been a lost year for them. 

 

Had a lot of fun at Snapped Ankles afterwards as well, combination of the post set adrenaline and being pretty steaming meant that when I bumped into the bassist for Modern Woman afterwards I think I was a little too shouty and pointy when telling him how good their set was 😛. They were genuinely the best new thing I saw this weekend though, would thoroughly recommend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I actually thought the opposite about how busy it was, for what was essentially a sold-out festival I thought it was amazing you could wander to the front about 10 minutes before any act for a great spot. Maybe I'm just not used to it anymore as the last 4 camping festivals have done have all been Glastonbury. 
 

I dont think the masses of chair & blanket type punters helps with moving around, i agree it was easy to get to get a good view of stages especially if you arrived in good time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

I’ve never heard it described as a boutique festival before. Was then from the festival marketing or word of mouth? Just curious.

Glad you enjoyed your first one. It’s my third now and a permanent fixture in the diary.

I suppose that type of description is outdated these days, anything thats not large and corporate and attracts mainly wealthy lefty types and families is what i mean, but thats most festivals these days!

I would certainly consider a return with the right lineup and another year to sort the food & bogs which you can excuse given the last minute nature of getting it all together! The ones in the corner by babbling tongues were always massively qued for women they needed twice as many there.

my main comparison for a festival of its size that ive been to is bluedot but that never sells out basically so makes food bars and toilets seamless. If it was sold out it may not be as great. But its all different this year.

Edited by Memory Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. 

First Green Man I've ever been to and it was unbelievable. Probably second only to Glastonbury for me, but that's a whole other prospect. 

The setting is just something else! The music was great, and food/drink was perfect. 

I really hope I'm able to make it back because that was something special. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just an incredible weekend - amazingly curated as ever and it's bittersweet (but mostly sweet) that for every great act I saw there was something else I missed that would have been equally enjoyable

Going to take some time this week to unpack my thoughts on it all but standouts include: being at the front for Richard Dawson opening a main stage set with a roaring acapella song about a grisly murder (leaving everyone around in stunned silence) was one of those musical experiences I'll fondly remember, Self Esteem was pure euphoria, Crack Cloud and Los Bitchos were fantastic and well worthy of the hype, Liz Lawrence delivered a nigh-on perfect Walled Garden set

Great vibes and feelings around, barring a very minor argument with a family at the front of Self Esteem who were shouting very audibly about school placements to each other during every song whilst their two bored kids shot bubbles into the faces of those around them. Somewhat immersion breaking. Overall the kids/family aspect of Green Man is brilliant and one of its strengths, think that's the first time something like that has pushed me overboard 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Third time and first one 'Settling'. So many thoughts to put down (hopefully will follow..), but overall simply amazing.

EOTR has been my 'first love' for well over a decade but finding it hard to say which one I prefer right now.... maybe both is the future.

I particularly loved how so many bands [PVA, Cool Greenhouse, Lounge Society, Working Mens Club, Katy J, Lazarus, Hanya, Newdad that I spotted] were around the site and partying all weekend and very happy to say Hi. Also great to bump into one or two 'old faces' and some new from on here. And a specific shout out to the family and mates of Newdad that came across to support and stick around, suspect they're all coming back regardless next year.

Finding it hard to cull to list a top 20 bands seen, let alone anything like a top 10 it really was that good and it's the first time I've done a festival in a loooong time where I wanted to do all three mainstage headliners and they actually were brilliant. Lots of deliriously happy and wonderful moments throughout - too many to list but definitely worth mentioning Fontaines marching on with the Red Dragon flag and that full moon shining. Wow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, riverlodge said:

it's the first time I've done a festival in a loooong time where I wanted to do all three mainstage headliners and they actually were brilliant

Normally the headline sets drag for me at Green Man, even for artists I love - after a long day of fairly tight give-or-take-45-minutes sets that are often pleasant surprises, the headline sets can seem overlong and overhyped. I think the bigger-but-less-engaged crowd contributes to that a bit too. Nothing's ever been terrible of course but I often find myself wishing I'd gone for the Far Out Tent alternative

For whatever reason, Caribou and Mogwai absolutely flew by in the best way (missed Fontaines DC in favour of Gwenno) - brilliant picks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, riverlodge said:

Third time and first one 'Settling'. So many thoughts to put down (hopefully will follow..), but overall simply amazing.

EOTR has been my 'first love' for well over a decade but finding it hard to say which one I prefer right now.... maybe both is the future.

I particularly loved how so many bands [PVA, Cool Greenhouse, Lounge Society, Working Mens Club, Katy J, Lazarus, Hanya, Newdad that I spotted] were around the site and partying all weekend and very happy to say Hi. Also great to bump into one or two 'old faces' and some new from on here. And a specific shout out to the family and mates of Newdad that came across to support and stick around, suspect they're all coming back regardless next year.

Finding it hard to cull to list a top 20 bands seen, let alone anything like a top 10 it really was that good and it's the first time I've done a festival in a loooong time where I wanted to do all three mainstage headliners and they actually were brilliant. Lots of deliriously happy and wonderful moments throughout - too many to list but definitely worth mentioning Fontaines marching on with the Red Dragon flag and that full moon shining. Wow.

We go to both GM and EotR every year  and there's no way to decide which one is best because both are just incredible.

I like reading other comments from people going for the first time, especially those who normally go to Glastonbury. 

I've been to both and much prefer the smaller festivals. There's more than enough at GM and EotR to keep me entertained while not having to work out logistics of walking for 30 minutes plus to get to a different stage or have a huge trek to go back to the car park.

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, benali said:

We go to both GM and EotR every year  and there's no way to decide which one is best because both are just incredible.

I like reading other comments from people going for the first time, especially those who normally go to Glastonbury. 

I've been to both and much prefer the smaller festivals. There's more than enough at GM and EotR to keep me entertained while not having to work out logistics of walking for 30 minutes plus to get to a different stage or have a huge trek to go back to the car park.

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better!

Always been intrigued about GM and EOTR but the GM lineup this year led me there, what a place! 
 

Is EOTR similar in terms of size, stages being close, super tidy, late night stuff til around 4am for example? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

Is EOTR similar in terms of size, stages being close, super tidy, late night stuff til around 4am for example? 

EOTR is definitely smaller (think 15k attendance vs 25k), stages are if anything even closer together (no lengthy walk to Far Out). Yes to late stuff, DJs in the woods and the legendary Tipi tent late sets through until 3ish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, adequate8 said:

Always been intrigued about GM and EOTR but the GM lineup this year led me there, what a place! 
 

Is EOTR similar in terms of size, stages being close, super tidy, late night stuff til around 4am for example? 

The EOTR site has a special place in my heart from the days when Big Chill used to run there so despite the gorgeous mountain backdrop of GM I'll always prefer Larmer Tree where EOTR is held.

Manicured lawns, peacocks wandering about and lovely secluded wooded areas make it my favourite site.

The Garden Stage for me is hands down the best festival stage in the country.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not been for a few years as switched allegiances to EOTR (too decrepit to do both in such a short space of time)

Very impressive that GM could get everything up and running in such a short space of time. Felt like the last time I went in terms of set-up and it is my favourite in terms of site. Obviously, given COVID constraints, the line-up was more limited (I normally go for festivals predominately to see international touring bands) than normal but still pretty impressive. And again, I was a little underwhelmed by some of the performances but multiple bands had missing members/are obviously out of practice given lack of live music.

Favourites were Newdad, Faux Real party tent, Home Counties, Katie J Pearson

Food queues were a bit annoying but GM is nowhere near the worst festival I've been to for that. I thought the options were pretty good, albeit the price was high. I tend to go to the places without the queues as opposed to setting my heart on eating something.  s/o to the jerk chicken place.

As for drink, Courtyard Bar was pretty quick throughout but the amount of people asking for samples, recommendations or not getting the concept of lines for different breweries was frustrating. If you're picky (it is a music festival after all) then buy a program and read the descriptions there. Being stuck behind couples dithering over what they want to drink when a band is due on isn't the best. The other bars were mixed, but it's easy enough to just keep going back to the Courtyard between stages.

I managed to avoid using the toilets but used similar ones before. I don't think they work as well in the main festival arena as they do in the campsites (because you need to clean them more regularly and that becomes a logistical problem). Hoping Andy brings his loos back next year. 

And finally, a big thank you to the staff and volunteers. Always helpful, always friendly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jeel said:

Not been for a few years as switched allegiances to EOTR (too decrepit to do both in such a short space of time)

Very impressive that GM could get everything up and running in such a short space of time. Felt like the last time I went in terms of set-up and it is my favourite in terms of site. Obviously, given COVID constraints, the line-up was more limited (I normally go for festivals predominately to see international touring bands) than normal but still pretty impressive. And again, I was a little underwhelmed by some of the performances but multiple bands had missing members/are obviously out of practice given lack of live music.

Favourites were Newdad, Faux Real party tent, Home Counties, Katie J Pearson

Food queues were a bit annoying but GM is nowhere near the worst festival I've been to for that. I thought the options were pretty good, albeit the price was high. I tend to go to the places without the queues as opposed to setting my heart on eating something.  s/o to the jerk chicken place.

As for drink, Courtyard Bar was pretty quick throughout but the amount of people asking for samples, recommendations or not getting the concept of lines for different breweries was frustrating. If you're picky (it is a music festival after all) then buy a program and read the descriptions there. Being stuck behind couples dithering over what they want to drink when a band is due on isn't the best. The other bars were mixed, but it's easy enough to just keep going back to the Courtyard between stages.

I managed to avoid using the toilets but used similar ones before. I don't think they work as well in the main festival arena as they do in the campsites (because you need to clean them more regularly and that becomes a logistical problem). Hoping Andy brings his loos back next year. 

And finally, a big thank you to the staff and volunteers. Always helpful, always friendly. 

How did you manage to avoid using the toilets?!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, that was my first Green Man and won't be my last, I really liked it. Planning on doing settlers next year. 

We'll start with my very short list of negatives. 

- kids food options, my kid's will eat most things but it's a real PITA buying food for them at full prices and trying to split it out, I know there were a few places that did kids options but not many. (Also not a problem exclusive to GM)

- family camping? Couldn't find it, ended up camped near the settlers bar and that was absolutely fine, but if an event wants to offer family camping perhaps try not making it an hour's walk fully loaded from the carpark?

Positives 

- A geourgous setting, and it was so clean, I go to lots of festivals and this was possibly the cleanest and tidiest I've seen. There was inevitably some litter at the end of a headline set but not much. 

- bars, a great selection of beers in the courtyard bar and I rarely had to queue for more than a couple of minutes. The only real queue for beer I was in, was in the walled garden during Charlotte Church's LNPD.

- The music - what a great line up, yes it's a shame there we're no foreign acts, but there was so much good stuff on I had multiple clashes all weekend. The line up *really* ticked a lot of boxes for me. Highlights for me were Django Django, Wetleg opening the festival (I almost cried at the emotions of being able to listen to live music again, as did half the tent it seemed), best segue for me though was having my brain smashed apart with music by black midi before having it lovingly put back together again by Mogwai.

- the crowd, everybody just seemed really happy - don't know if it was simply the post covid high we all needed or what but the whole thing felt really uplifting. 

I normally go to Glastonbury but I'm tiring of it now - the squabble to get tickets, the sheer size of it, I'm thinking Green Man may be the replacement for me. 

 

 

 

Edited by sprocketrocket
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...