Green Man 2021

Gilgamesh69

40 minutes ago, JHad said:

On the coach on the way home. Very much still processing!

First thing which comes to mind is that all the headliners were very impressive and each better than the last time I saw them. Fontaines definitely only there due to covid times (probably an album cycle ahead of otherwise), but I thought they smashed it. 

Going to have an early go at the top acts I saw (pretty set on the top 3, the rest may change as I wake up!:

1. Melyn Melin

2. black midi

3. The Cool Greenhouse

4. Erlend Cooper

5. Sarathy Korwar

6. Fontaines D.C.

7. Crack Cloud

8. Home Counties

9. Do Nothing

10. Wet Leg

11. Prima Queen

12. LYR

13. LUMP

14. Egyptian Blue

15. Ed Dowie 

Oh yeah, forgot about Wet Leg and Home Counties. They were both excellent. Lounge Society too.

Crack Cloud, as many have already said we’re excellent. They were this year’s “I’ve never heard of them before but can’t wait to see them on tour”.  Following in the footsteps of Teleman in 2018 and Khruangbin in 2019.

The organisers have done a fantastic job again and the site held up very well after the Saturday rain. GM set the standard for festivals this size IMO.

Edited by March Hare

Just home. Had a lovely weekend with my family. My boys 4 and 2 loved it and definitely want to come back!

Different festival for us - having children that age means you can't quite see as much music as you'd like and we had to pick a few things we really wanted to see. Highlights were Django Django, Nadine Shah, Porridge Radio and Fontaines DC. 

Does anyone know who I might contact about festival photos? Apparently both my boys were on a photograph that were on the main stage big screens on sunday afternoon (spotted by a friend) and I'd love to see it!

2 hours ago, benali said:

In the car on the way home now.

That has to be up there with the best festivals I've been to purely for the atmosphere which was overwhelmingly joyous. There was also a ridiculous number of good acts to watch and the site held up perfectly after the rain on Saturday.

There were so many musical highlights. If I listed them all it would take up a whole page on the forum.

Black Midi - wow, just wow. What a set. Anyone know why Geordie Greep apparently got chucked out the festival?

Erland Cooper - Absolutely magical, beautiful performance. Nearly had me welling up.

Lazarus Kane - I love seeing bands on Rising get a big crowd and smash it, they really got everyone going.

Roscoe Roscoe - keep an eye on this lot. Talented bunch making post rock psych.

King Hannah - beautiful performance. That guitarist has some skills, not sure he dropped a note all gig.

Lynks - maddest act of the weekend but absolutely captivating and hilarious in equal measure.

Shout out to all the artists who spent the weekend on site happily interacting with the fans. Our 12yo got so many photos with them and they were all so nice and friendly.

The best thing was just seeing so many smiling, happy people. Everyone I spoke to just had the best time. 

Home now listening to King Hannah, it was a beautiful set. 

It was a perfect weekend. Really enjoyed hanging out with you guys and thanks for the tips and recommendations. You’ve got a wonderful family; must be proud….see you at the Joiners soon. 

• Like 1

Just dropped the caravan off at the storage site and back home.  So lovely to be at a festival again (my only one this year thanks to Covid cancellations).  Hats off to the excellent Green Man organisation.  Getting in to the campervan field was a doddle and no queues or hold ups anywhere.  The compost toilets worked well, food and other stalls OK and all you needed.

Shame I didn't manage to meet up with any other EFesters but our gang of four had a great time.

Was my first green man, was overall impressed! Some of the queues for food, drinks & toilets were more than i was expecting for a festival of this size but it didnt ruin it. It felt very busy most of the time, felt like they’d crammed in the punters at times but i havent a previous green man to compare it to.

i thought the food overall was shocking for a “boutique” festival. Ques were long, prices really expensive and quality really lacking on almost everything i had. Probably because i wasnt prepared to que very long! Shout out to oasis mezze near babbling tongues as the only non poor food i had. Jerk chicken (tasteless rice) & gyozas (rubbery and over spiced) were both a joke.

musical highlights were thankfully many! Panic shack, showhawk duo, caribou, charlotte church, lump, lazarus kane (should have been on a bigger stage) self esteem, home counties, working mens club and yard act were my faves i can immediately recall. The talks & comedy were an excellent change of pace. Pete brown, Olga koch and chilly gonzales were highlights. Late night dancing in walled garden was brilliant friday and sat with heavenly jukebox and dutty disco. Cider bar in walled garden amazing! 

overall very good and if food provision and ques were a bit better it would be almost perfect

Edited by Memory Man

18 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Was my first green man, was overall impressed! Some of the queues for food, drinks & toilets were more than i was expecting for a festival of this size but it didnt ruin it. It felt very busy most of the time, felt like they’d crammed in the punters at times but i havent a previous green man to compare it to.

i thought the food overall was shocking for a “boutique” festival. Ques were long, prices really expensive and quality really lacking on almost everything i had. Probably because i wasnt prepared to que very long! Shout out to oasis mezze near babbling tongues as the only non poor food i had. Jerk chicken (tasteless rice) & gyozas (rubbery and over spiced) were both a joke.

musical highlights were thankfully many! Panic shack, showhawk duo, caribou, charlotte church, lump, lazarus kane (should have been on a bigger stage) self esteem, home counties, working mens club and yard act were my faves i can immediately recall. The talks & comedy were an excellent change of pace. Pete brown, Olga koch and chilly gonzales were highlights. Late night dancing in walled garden was brilliant friday and sat with heavenly jukebox and dutty disco. Cider bar in walled garden amazing! 

overall very good and if food provision and ques were a bit better it would be almost perfect

Having done 10 green mans (men?) I would say this was easily the worst year for food and loos. Several good quality regular food stands weren’t there this year (not sure why - maybe due to late confirmation they had already taken pitches elsewhere and couldn’t do it), and there was definitely an overall reduction in number of food stands. As a green man devotee I’ll keep the faith on this front and assume that they’ll be significantly improved next year.

The loos was first year of a switchover from portaloos to compost and there were clearly some teething issues as they really weren’t great and definitely needed better maintenance. Probably a year where people were just happy to be there it was a good time to do it. In addition I can’t believe how long it took them to sort out the lack of screen on the urinals by the main stage entrance. There were a few examples of things I thought were a bit rough around the edges, whereas Green Man is usually extremely professionally run and well drilled. I’m assuming all or most of this is was due to the lack of certainty they’ve had to deal with, and overall it was still an amazing week and very well organised (in my view). 

• Upvote 1

A friend of a friend works for GM and they were saying arranging the toilets were the biggest faf of the whole festival and the supplier they ended up with was very last minute

Queues for the bar felt a lot worse this year as well. 

Musically I thought it was excellent and it was so great to be back.

Wishlist for next year is fewer white men with guitars at the top of the lineup.  

1 minute ago, rug568 said:

A friend of a friend works for GM and they were saying arranging the toilets were the biggest faf of the whole festival and the supplier they ended up with was very last minute

Feels like every sizeable festival has had a lot of complaints about the loos. Are Andy's Loos and the like not operational this year, or committed elsewhere?

Food was fine for me when I got time. Junk Vegan stall at the Garden Stage was exceptional and I’m not vegan. Dosa Deli must be raking it in; the massive queue seemed constant, along with the one for Bloody Marys. Drinks queues were a pain at times but I still managed to have too much. 

2 hours ago, SighMo said:

Home now listening to King Hannah, it was a beautiful set. 

It was a perfect weekend. Really enjoyed hanging out with you guys and thanks for the tips and recommendations. You’ve got a wonderful family; must be proud….see you at the Joiners soon. 

Thanks to you too, was great to spend time with you and Richard. Can't wait for End of the Road now.

Fingers crossed work tomorrow isn't too brutal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

I actually thought the opposite about how busy it was, for what was essentially a sold-out festival I thought it was amazing you could wander to the front about 10 minutes before any act for a great spot. Maybe I'm just not used to it anymore as the last 4 camping festivals have done have all been Glastonbury. 

Agree on the amount of food about, wasn't quite as much as I expected although most of what I had was nice. (Shoutout to the duck fat spuds) Don't think I saw a bad act all weekend although the highlights had to be Fontaines, Self Esteem, Los Bitchos and Crack Cloud.

Toilets were passable but could have done with being cleaned more often.

Urinals were a bit rubbish, the settlers ones at the back of the field seemed blocked from day 1 and one fell off the wall and spilled all over the floor which was as nice as you can imagine.

Food queues were a bit silly at peak times. Never got to Dosa because of that. Prices were £1 or £2 up from before but a lot of these businesses probably had barely any income for 18 months so I can't really blame them for taking their opportunity.

Courtyard bar never seemed that busy to me.

1 hour ago, rug568 said:

Queues for the bar felt a lot worse this year as well. 

Musically I thought it was excellent and it was so great to be back.

Wishlist for next year is fewer white men with guitars at the top of the lineup.  

Self Esteem to headline 2022 🤞🏻

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

Self Esteem to headline 2022 🤞🏻

Yeah, she was great. Got sick of Thundercat...just had had enough of jazzy freeform from amazing musicians as there was so fuckin much of it ..so went up to check out Self Esteem and thought she was great. Then went to see last bit of Dream Wife who were also great.

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Feels like every sizeable festival has had a lot of complaints about the loos. Are Andy's Loos and the like not operational this year, or committed elsewhere?

Very second hand info but I’ve been told gm approached them but there were issues with the money 

This was my first Green Man and I fully loved it. I agree with several commenters points on not enough food options. Toilets queues and cleanliness weren't always great but could have been much worse. but all things considered (4 weeks notice) I'm fine with that. The queues for booze were largely quick outside of peak times when shows finished, and the selection of beers and ciders was unparalleled.

The music options were immense. While it would be great to get female headliners, for me almost all the highlights were women(-led) and acts I'd not seen live before - Los Bitchos, Georgia, LUMP, Nadine Shah, Greentea Peng, Goat Girl, the Staves, Billie Marten, Self Esteem, Emma-Jean Thackray... Beyond those, Nubiyan Twist were a cracking start on Thursday, I enjoyed Caribou more than I expected to given I've seen them a lot before, and I saw was super happy to catch Jose Gonzales for his last three and most famous tracks. Then a techno-boogie to Overmono was a great way to finish.

Non-music highlights included the stunning setting, and - the drainage! It was much less muddy than I'd have expected at other festivals given the rain. Hiking trainers the whole time, didn't even consider wellies.

And I've never found it easier to leave a festival site than I did this morning. We drove out from deep in the Orange car park at 9am and it couldn't have been easier. Part of me still wonders whether I imagined it because of a lack of sleep...

I'm def recommending Green Man to everyone I know. Beautiful setting, friendly people, easy to get around - not too big, not too small.

Thanks to all whose comments above I read to help me prep/plan were much appreciated. Hope you all sleep well tonight!

Edited by mobfant
Edited to add yet more amazing female acts to the list...
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Had a great festival. Went with family but met a bunch of friends there too. My daughter has just turned 16 and we actually got on a lot better than I thought, enjoying bands together and having a laugh. Such a great festival. Getting out and driving home today was hard bloody work though!

Sensational weekend. The best time I've had since I was last at Green Man.

Would have liked to have seen Wetleg and Matilda Mann on Thursday but missed them cos I was queuing for around 2 and a half hours to get in. This was my first time there with a ticket rather than as a volunteer, so I dunno if it's always like that, but it was kiiiind of a joke. Only about 10 people scanning tickets and none of them were in any sort of rush. It had nothing to do with the covid checks either as this part was easy. Little bit annoying but it was all amazing once I was through the door.

Yard Act were a fantastic way to kick things off. I am really excited about a debut album from them whenever it ends up coming out. Saw Working Men's Club on Thursday too who absolutely killed it. Wasn't expecting them to be as good as they were. Interested to see how well their show translates to a big outdoor stage when they support New Order in a couple of weeks.

Started Friday with The Lounge Society. Had a great time watching these. Saw one of the fellas from the band in the Walled Garden last night too and had a quick chat with him, which was pretty cool. Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard were decent enough, and then Katy J Pearson later in the afternoon was superb. Will be keeping an eye out for a chance to see her again, for sure. Boy Azooga are one of my favourite Welsh acts, and they smashed it as usual. Bumped into the singer yesterday afternoon and had a quick talk with him. Lovely fella. He said he'd put me down on the guestlist for a gig he's playing with another band next week, which properly made my day. Goat Girl were okay but I'm hoping they're better when I see them again next month. I have seen them do much better sets before (why didn't they play The Man?!). Django Django absolutely smashed it. The sound was top notch for this and it was a real party atmosphere down the front. I've been a massive fan of Caribou for quite a while but this was the first time I've ever seen them live. This was everything I hoped it would be. You could really tell it meant a lot for him to be playing the show too (their first in three years). Kelly Lee Owens and Ross From Friends were both good but my memory gets a bit hazy by that point.

Didn't see anything early on Saturday as I woke up lying in a puddle in a collapsed tent, so had to sort that out. Sinead O'Brien was the first thing I saw. I've been enjoying her on record but thought she was pretty dull. Crowd wasn't really up for it, and she made a bit of an arsey comment about how it would be nice to see more movement. It was a bit weird and quite a few people saw it as a cue to just leave lol. BC Camplight were alright. LUMP and Black Midi didn't disappoint, and then the Mogwai set went by in no time at all. They're not a band I'm massively familiar with (besides the new album), but they were a really impressive live act. Will have to work my way through their back catalogue. 

Sunday... Crack Cloud were great. Philosopher's Calling especially is such a huge track. Probs gonna go see these again in a few days if I'm feeling recovered by then. Porridge Radio put out one of my favourite albums last year right at the start of lockdown, so that was a highly anticipated and long awaited set for me. Seriously good band and I can't wait to see them again. Half watched the Squid set from the back so can't give the best appraisal of this. Was too busy knocking Mouseboy's potatoes on the floor. Self Esteem put on an absolutely incredible set. She was only just able to hold herself together for the last song as she was so overwhelmed by the reception. One of the best crowds I have ever been in. Go see her on tour if you have even an ounce of interest as she was on top form. Fontaines were stupidly good (as always). Possibly my set of the weekend. I'm wondering if the three dates I have booked for their tour is enough or if I should do more. The best band of the last few years, for me. Enjoyed Overmono after dark too.

Can't really imagine there being a summer where I don't want to go to this festival. Very hyped already to see next year's lineup.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3