Green Man 2021

Gilgamesh69

55 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Is this the view looking East along the river? We’ve always camped as soon as you get past the Tangerine Fields pre-pitched tents along side the river. It’s always empty when we get there but is a hike from Orange parking. It’s kind of behind the main stage. 

Second picture one is looking West, away from Crickhowell so towards where you normally camp. To walk to where that was taken would be another good few minutes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tjrant said:

A mate of mine is thinking of cycling from Abergavenny to the site (mad I know), but I can't remember seeing any bike lock ups in previous years.

I know there is an organised ride you can do, but does anyone have any ideas about just turning up on a bike - sure its probably fine?

There's a few people here riding around on bikes. Haven't seen a lock up but there's plenty of fences around the wristband area that they could presumably chain it to which have round the clock security guards present.

• Thanks 1

Quick question, is it easy to bring cans of alcohol from the camp site to where the bands play? 

do they do full searches on the way in? Just bags?

latitude u could always have a few on you and go in the bag queue and get them in that way, or perhaps green man don’t enforce it?  

cheers, have a good festival everyone 

Edited by mahoney

5 minutes ago, mahoney said:

Quick question, is it easy to bring cans of alcohol from the camp site to where the bands play? 

do they do full searches on the way in? Just bags?

latitude u could always have a few on you and go in the bag queue and get them in that way, or perhaps green man don’t enforce it?  

cheers, have a good festival everyone 

It's not enforced at all, just don't drink through the wristband check. I've never had my bag searched on my way in

21 hours ago, JHad said:

Time for my traditional pre-festival forecast. This one has been tricky as the model outputs have been wildly oscillating, but they seem to have settled down somewhat! I’m still not overly confident, but I wanted to get this out there before everyone packs. As ever though, pack for all conditions! (and please don't shoot the messenger 😬)

Thursday doesn’t look too bad. Temperatures should be around 16 C when the gates open at 10 am, warming to a maximum of 18-19 C by mid-afternoon, as sun tries to break through. There is a reasonable chance of showers during the day and it’s likely a couple will hit Glanusk, although these shouldn’t be too heavy or prolonged. They’ll be pushed through by a moderate south-westerly breeze, although the local topography might mean this is more west-north-westerly on site. Pitching to the NW looks a good bet for a little breeze and also shelter from the elements later in the weekend.

Overnight minimum temperatures are likely to be around 13-14 C, although could be kept slightly warmer if cloud cover increases slightly earlier than expected. The breeze should weaken into quite a still night, with the chance of occasional drizzle. Expect the ground and your tent to be damp regardless in the morning, as humidity will be very high.

Friday is probably going to give us the ‘best’ weather of the festival, but you still won’t be forgetting which Table Mountain this is, no matter how many Growlers you’ve had. It’ll be an overcast day, with the possibility of any overnight drizzle lingering amongst the hills until mid-afternoon. Any breeze will be light to moderate from the south, with maximum temperatures of 18-19 C.

Friday night looks pleasant for the most part, with cloud cover preventing temperatures dropping below around 15 C. It should be dry, but the air will again feel very damp and dew will form.

It looks set to rain quite a bit on Saturday, but the exact time is still a little unclear. It’s a day to wear boots and have full waterproofs with you. Current indications are that the odd shower may form during the morning but that the main rain band will hit mid-afternoon. The heaviest rain looks to be around 4-6 pm, with showers persisting into the evening. Far Out might be busier than expected for Newdad! Keep an eye on a live radar (e.g., https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar) to judge for yourself, as this picture is likely to change between now and then. Temperatures on Saturday could peak at 20-21 C before the rain comes through in any occasional sunny spells, but this will be lower if the rain comes earlier. Winds will slightly increase in velocity and will likely have switched to the SE and therefore be coming up the valley by the time the rain passes. If you pitched your tent facing NW, you should have a little more protection from the worst of Saturday’s rain.

Saturday night could see further showers develop behind the now-cleared front. Minimum temperatures are likely to around 15 C.

Sunday is a long way away in meteorological terms, but at this point it looks to be a day of potentially widespread heavy showers. If we get any of these, they’ll likely bring the heaviest rain of the weekend but hopefully the moderate westerly winds will push these through quickly. Top temperatures look to be around 18 C.

Minimum temperatures on Sunday night are likely 14-15 C. Lingering showers should dissipate as night falls, but there is still the chance of further lighter showers forming early on Monday morning as we pack up. It might be a case of drying tents and waterproofs out at home!

In summary, there is still uncertainty (and I really hope things change again) but Saturday and Sunday do have the potential to be quite damp. It probably will get quite muddy, but at least we'll have a couple of days first. The terrain is well set to deal with rain and as long as we make sure we are too then we should still have an amazing weekend! See you in the fields on Thursday!

A slight update on the above:

Tomorrow is still looking showery, although perhaps slightly heavier ones that it looked yesterday.

Friday looks a little better, but still cloudy with rare drizzly spells.

There is a real worry about Saturday though of the outside chance of persistent heavy rain. The most likely outcome as the moment is that it could start raining a little earlier than previously thought with the worst passing through between 12 and 3. However, because the centre of low looks set to pass very close by that heavy rain could effectively 'loop back around'. Somewhere (probably about a 50x50 mile area) will likely get around 12 hours of heavy rain. This is currently projected over the NW Midlands and N Wales. That's a bit too close for comfort for me! 

Sunday now looking a little better than this time yesterday. Still showery, but with less energy and clearing by the evening. 

Overall, a slightly improved picture on yesterday. However, there is a low-moderate risk of some serious rain on Saturday. Hopefully that worst case stays well away from Glanusk!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JHad said:

A slight update on the above:

Tomorrow is still looking showery, although perhaps slightly heavier ones that it looked yesterday.

Friday looks a little better, but still cloudy with rare drizzly spells.

There is a real worry about Saturday though of the outside chance of persistent heavy rain. The most likely outcome as the moment is that it could start raining a little earlier than previously thought with the worst passing through between 12 and 3. However, because the centre of low looks set to pass very close by that heavy rain could effectively 'loop back around'. Somewhere (probably about a 50x50 mile area) will likely get around 12 hours of heavy rain. This is currently projected over the NW Midlands and N Wales. That's a bit too close for comfort for me! 

Sunday now looking a little better than this time yesterday. Still showery, but with less energy and clearing by the evening. 

Overall, a slightly improved picture on yesterday. However, there is a low-moderate risk of some serious rain on Saturday. Hopefully that worst case stays well away from Glanusk!

I'll take that.

All packed up now and ready to go. See you all in the fields!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crozbie15 said:

Hi, does the live in vehicle field also open at 10am or does a queue form before that? Thank you!

It should also open at 10am .. has been slightly delayed some years. There will be a queue, which is a little hairy .. as once the short lane up to the gate fills the queue is along the busy A40 with normal traffic trying to get around it.

15 minutes ago, Greengoblin said:

We can't arrive until after 6 today because of my partner's work commitments. Is it likely to be difficult to get a decent camping spot? Wondering if I should travel down on my own before him to set up camp..

Hope you all have a great festival!

If you are just pitching a small tent you will find space. If it’s a big one you might end up further out but the site isn’t massive so you are never far away from the arena 

Edited by March Hare

1 minute ago, rug568 said:

Just entered Wales and it's immediately started raining......

Quick turn back, it’s still nice here (bit cloudy) 😁.

On a serious note,  the weather is holding up nicely. Greenman seems to have it’s own climate and Saturday’s rain seems to be being pushed back to Saturday evening

Hey guys, not sure if anyone will be able to help. Just found out a close contact has tested positive for covid. Were waiting to hear from track and trace (they will definitely be in touch) abd gave sent a PCR test (results in up to 72 hours) .

Anyone know what the refund policy is? Don't think we can feasibly attend now 😞 bags all packed and everything were both very sad 😞

Any help appreciated!