Green Man 2021

Gilgamesh69

Does anyone have experience of arriving / leaving on the shuttle bus from the railway station? It says to 'allow 90 minutes' but Abergavenny station is only 20 mins down the road... are there big queues for the buses on arrival at the station? 

(Am hoping to leave the site on the first bus on Monday morning - at 6am - as I need to be on the first train out of Abergavenny - stupidly have some work to do on Monday afternoon. I'm guessing that particular bus won't be packed... 🤣)

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

5 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Does anyone have experience of arriving / leaving on the shuttle bus from the railway station? It says to 'allow 90 minutes' but Abergavenny station is only 20 mins down the road... are there big queues for the buses on arrival at the station? 

(Am hoping to leave the site on the first bus on Monday morning - at 6am - as I need to be on the first train out of Abergavenny - stupidly have some work to do on Monday afternoon. I'm guessing that particular bus won't be packed... 🤣)

I did it a few years ago...and things are a bit vague as got fairly pissed on way down...but I think there were queues whilst waiting for buses at the station..I seem to remember really needing a wee, and also took a while to get everyone on and off bus with luggage etc.

By Monday morning the whole place will be a swamp and only way out will be by helicopter rescue.

2 hours ago, big__phil said:

Another question from me - are secret sets likely? Where do they normally stick them if they do happen?

Interested in this question.  From what I can work out from a bit of Googling, secret sets used to be a thing, but there's not much mention of them recently

10 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Interested in this question.  From what I can work out from a bit of Googling, secret sets used to be a thing, but there's not much mention of them recently

Not the greatest amount of help here, but the one time I went in 2015 they did small secret pop-ups in the merch tent. Not sure if they still do or not. 

18 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

In 2019 they ditched Rough Trade and had their own record shop which had a stage next to it where bands played, normally around the time they did a signing.

They aren't necessarily secret because they have a board up out the front of the shop every day with times on, but they aren't announced in the programme or anything.

It would only be bands already playing though, so no EoTR type secret gigs when bands play a proper set unannounced.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I did it a few years ago...and things are a bit vague as got fairly pissed on way down...but I think there were queues whilst waiting for buses at the station..I seem to remember really needing a wee, and also took a while to get everyone on and off bus with luggage etc.

By Monday morning the whole place will be a swamp and only way out will be by helicopter rescue.

I'll take a good book then, and sit on my camping chair in the queue... 🤣

I don't know which weather forecast you're looking at but I don't think it's going to be 'Glasto 2007' levels of mud... 

I've just been looking at the FAQs and wondered if anyone who's already there could help.  Is it really necessary to bring a passport along with my Covid vaccination pass?  I don't have a driving licence, and I'd rather not take my passport if I don't have to - but obviously if I'm going to need it to get in, I will.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Ed90 said:

They're not very common. There have been a couple on the Settlement stage while the main festival is underway, Ezra Furman did one in Round The Twist, the Wave Pictures did one in the Cinema Tent when they were there with Stanley Brinks.

5 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

The additional time is to allow for queuing and traffic congestion en route .. neither of which are likely to apply at 6am on Monday so you'll be fine so long as the bus driver hasn't been partying into the small hours 😁

I feel your pain .. also have to work on Monday afternoon .. although I don't have far to travel and can set off a little later.

Time for my traditional pre-festival forecast. This one has been tricky as the model outputs have been wildly oscillating, but they seem to have settled down somewhat! I’m still not overly confident, but I wanted to get this out there before everyone packs. As ever though, pack for all conditions! (and please don't shoot the messenger 😬)

Thursday doesn’t look too bad. Temperatures should be around 16 C when the gates open at 10 am, warming to a maximum of 18-19 C by mid-afternoon, as sun tries to break through. There is a reasonable chance of showers during the day and it’s likely a couple will hit Glanusk, although these shouldn’t be too heavy or prolonged. They’ll be pushed through by a moderate south-westerly breeze, although the local topography might mean this is more west-north-westerly on site. Pitching to the NW looks a good bet for a little breeze and also shelter from the elements later in the weekend.

Overnight minimum temperatures are likely to be around 13-14 C, although could be kept slightly warmer if cloud cover increases slightly earlier than expected. The breeze should weaken into quite a still night, with the chance of occasional drizzle. Expect the ground and your tent to be damp regardless in the morning, as humidity will be very high.

Friday is probably going to give us the ‘best’ weather of the festival, but you still won’t be forgetting which Table Mountain this is, no matter how many Growlers you’ve had. It’ll be an overcast day, with the possibility of any overnight drizzle lingering amongst the hills until mid-afternoon. Any breeze will be light to moderate from the south, with maximum temperatures of 18-19 C.

Friday night looks pleasant for the most part, with cloud cover preventing temperatures dropping below around 15 C. It should be dry, but the air will again feel very damp and dew will form.

It looks set to rain quite a bit on Saturday, but the exact time is still a little unclear. It’s a day to wear boots and have full waterproofs with you. Current indications are that the odd shower may form during the morning but that the main rain band will hit mid-afternoon. The heaviest rain looks to be around 4-6 pm, with showers persisting into the evening. Far Out might be busier than expected for Newdad! Keep an eye on a live radar (e.g., https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar) to judge for yourself, as this picture is likely to change between now and then. Temperatures on Saturday could peak at 20-21 C before the rain comes through in any occasional sunny spells, but this will be lower if the rain comes earlier. Winds will slightly increase in velocity and will likely have switched to the SE and therefore be coming up the valley by the time the rain passes. If you pitched your tent facing NW, you should have a little more protection from the worst of Saturday’s rain.

Saturday night could see further showers develop behind the now-cleared front. Minimum temperatures are likely to around 15 C.

Sunday is a long way away in meteorological terms, but at this point it looks to be a day of potentially widespread heavy showers. If we get any of these, they’ll likely bring the heaviest rain of the weekend but hopefully the moderate westerly winds will push these through quickly. Top temperatures look to be around 18 C.

Minimum temperatures on Sunday night are likely 14-15 C. Lingering showers should dissipate as night falls, but there is still the chance of further lighter showers forming early on Monday morning as we pack up. It might be a case of drying tents and waterproofs out at home!

In summary, there is still uncertainty (and I really hope things change again) but Saturday and Sunday do have the potential to be quite damp. It probably will get quite muddy, but at least we'll have a couple of days first. The terrain is well set to deal with rain and as long as we make sure we are too then we should still have an amazing weekend! See you in the fields on Thursday!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

7 hours ago, BrighterNow said:

I've just been looking at the FAQs and wondered if anyone who's already there could help.  Is it really necessary to bring a passport along with my Covid vaccination pass?  I don't have a driving licence, and I'd rather not take my passport if I don't have to - but obviously if I'm going to need it to get in, I will.  Thanks!

I asked about this and they replied confirming a photocopy of your passport will be fine. I’d take a photo on your phone too. 

Edited by Wakestock

13 hours ago, BrighterNow said:

They didn't look at our ID when we came in. Showed covid pass on phone to stewards in the car ark as we got out of the car and were given a wristband to show they'd checked it.

This has been the same when we've gone out and come back on site.

If they weren't checking ID for settlers I can't see them doing it for everyone else on Thursday but you never know.

33 minutes ago, benali said:

Settlers was great again last night. N'Famady Kouyate really got the crowd going, everyone was dancing and having a great time.

I thoroughly recommend seeing him and the band in Chai Wallahs on Friday night. 

Added to Clashfinder.  Only Walled Garden 19:45 Sunday still down as Special Guests, any rumours?

8 minutes ago, big__phil said:

On to the important stuff - has anyone got any food recommendations? Other than the odd pic on the website I have no idea which stalls are there.

There's loads of good stuff. Some of the usual ones you see at most festivals are always here but there's often new ones too.

Pieminister always seems to have a big queue. There was a jerk chicken place by the Walled Garden last time which was really nice and a Nigerian stall which we liked. Can't remember the name of the curry place at the top of the mountain stage that sold amazing rotis. They'd sold out by Sunday which shows how good they are.

The brownies in the tent opposite Babbling Tongues are the best thing about the whole festival. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mouseboy11 said:

What sort of time to people recommend arriving?

is it like Glastonbury where you need to arrive before gates open or will I be ok turning up at 10?

Also interested in this question - wondering if given queues it might be a better use of time to turn up at say 11am? 

31 minutes ago, big__phil said:

On to the important stuff - has anyone got any food recommendations? Other than the odd pic on the website I have no idea which stalls are there.

Vegan reccs (good for if you're vegan, good for if you're not vegan)

The Paella stall at the top of the Mountain Stage field is the real one, do not let the weekend pass without sampling that.

There's a few places in the nature/nurture bit and they're all amazing. The biggest one does a banging vegan Donner kebab box. And the coffee van in there is the best coffee at the festival for my money.

Pizzas out the back of chai wallas are as good a pizza as you're likely to get at a festival, loads of options.

Just along from there is a churros can. Getting a big pot of churros and going to watch a film in the cinema tent is always a personal highlight.

Between Far Out and Round The Twist is Ghandi's Flip Flop, straight out of Ambleside, the culinary capital. You'll get a nice big fat plate of 3 curries, rice, popadom, Chapatti, chutney, raita, pickles. The best tenner you'll ever spend. Normally it's the last thing we treat ourselves to on the Sunday night after they've burned the big green boi.

Just down from that is Flavours Of Africa, one of my all time favourite festival vendors (maybe even tied with the venerable No Bones Jones for top position?). Get your nice big bowl of jollof rice, spinach curry and fried plantain, tell the man you want the hot hot sauce, it's the real fucking deal.

The super tidy Welsh burgers at the top of the Mountain field live up to the name.

There's some absolutely show stopping brownies going in the Babbling Tongues field, just by the little door to the Walled Garden.

There's not a food stall in the place not on their absolute A-game for me. It's very hard to actually get a bad meal there, just see what's about. (Although, having said that, I'd advise against the Hurly Burly, not what it once was. Not bad, but there's more out there).

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

is it like Glastonbury where you need to arrive before gates open or will I be ok turning up at 10?

Depends why you think you need to turn up before gates at Glastonbury.

For both Glastonbury and Green Man I turned up before gates on my first year and sat waiting ages, and have turned up mid-afternoon, sailed through and camped where I please each year after.

• Upvote 2