Green Man 2021

Gilgamesh69

In my view the British government will be essentially outlining what the plan is for England today; the Welsh government will have to move within 2 weeks I would think. I’m feeling at this point as if there’s a huge chance it could be on… and also a huge risk it could be called off about 3 days before a positive announcement, which you’d have thought they’ll be trying really hard to avoid

Im impressed they feel they can wait till a month before, others have been 6 weeks

cross everything!

completely agree that welsh govt will (reluctantly) have to move to be in line with english. Drastic variations in what is allowed between the 2 countries is unsustainable for reasons too many to list.

Edited by Memory Man

24 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Im impressed they feel they can wait till a month before, others have been 6 weeks

cross everything!

completely agree that welsh govt will (reluctantly) have to move to be in line with english. Drastic variations in what is allowed between the 2 countries is unsustainable for reasons too many to list.

I don't disagree, but the Welsh Health minister just now saying that they will do what they bloody well want and Johnson be damned (I'm paraphrasing) has prompted my rollercoaster car to head onto one of the down sections of the GM Emotional Track™️

No updates on restriction easing in the principality scheduled before 14 July. FFS. 

Ben

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I don't disagree, but the Welsh Health minister just now saying that they will do what they bloody well want and Johnson be damned (I'm paraphrasing) has prompted my rollercoaster car to head onto one of the down sections of the GM Emotional Track™️

No updates on restriction easing in the principality scheduled before 14 July. FFS. 

Ben

TBH I *optimistically* read Eluned Morgan's comments as very similar to Sajid Javid's, "we are going to learn to live with this virus"...

We have one of the best vaccination rates in the world, and hospitalisations seem to be remaining relatively low. If things are going ahead across the border then there will be a lot of political pressure on the Welsh Government to fall in line.

I know traders who are in full planning mode, and also people working for the festival who are working as if it would go ahead as normal. They can't afford to sit and wait about for the decision from the First Minister.

Also, please, Cymru hasn't been a Principality since 1536 🤦‍♂️

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

TBH I *optimistically* read Eluned Morgan's comments as very similar to Sajid Javid's, "we are going to learn to live with this virus"...

We have one of the best vaccination rates in the world, and hospitalisations seem to be remaining relatively low. If things are going ahead across the border then there will be a lot of political pressure on the Welsh Government to fall in line.

I know traders who are in full planning mode, and also people working for the festival who are working as if it would go ahead as normal. They can't afford to sit and wait about for the decision from the First Minister.

Also, please, Cymru hasn't been a Principality since 1536 🤦‍♂️

Y'know, I wondered about that as I typed! Sincerest apologies and noted! But stop confusing me with the name of your biggest bloody stadium!

😆

Ben

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Given today's announcement, wouldn't it just be plain weird now if they cancelled?

Not really. Even if the Welsh gov decides to follow Boris and scrap restrictions, unless there is an insurance scheme, all festivals will have to balance the risk of going ahead against the risk of a sudden reimposition of restrictions. The questions then are how big a loss can we sustain and what is the likelihood of restrictions being reimposed? 

I think that the chance of restrictions being reimposed this year are low and remain reasonably confident of GM going ahead IF Drakeford opens up Wales. 

I think the chances of r

21 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Not really. Even if the Welsh gov decides to follow Boris and scrap restrictions, unless there is an insurance scheme, all festivals will have to balance the risk of going ahead against the risk of a sudden reimposition of restrictions. The questions then are how big a loss can we sustain and what is the likelihood of restrictions being reimposed? 

I think that the chance of restrictions being reimposed this year are low and remain reasonably confident of GM going ahead IF Drakeford opens up Wales. 

I doubt the reimposition of restrictions is what they're worried about.  Tories have made it pretty clear that there'll be no turning back once the restrictions are ended.  They're presumably planning for an exit wave, which they want to get out of the way in the summer, rather than risk overwhelming the NHS in the winter.  Only reason for reimposition would be a new variant.

I assume its more likely that they're worried Wales won't immediately follow suit.  I've already had emails from numerous venue organisers today announcing reopening on weekend after 19th July.  The only thing stopping GM doing similar is the worry of delay in Wales, surely?  And, if I were in their shoes I'd be pretty confident that Wales basically has to follow suit at some point sharpish.

43 minutes ago, adie67 said:

National Express have just sent me coach tickets and times to the festival 🤷🏼‍♂️ It’s a sign !!!!🙏

The Divine Comedy are playing!?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, VoxTunedDED said:

I don't know if some has already mentioned this but I think next Wednesday is the day are big question is answered.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/key-date-next-week-well-20992611

I guess the big question here is can Green Man can hold off paying suppliers until after the announcement next week, or will they be forced to make a decision before then? 

The Feeder gig scheduled for tomorrow in Newport is now scheduled to go ahead in August, I think Wales will follow Scotland and open up then, Wales usually follows England 2 weeks later, Wales average death rate is around 1 deaths have been few and far between recently, but I think next Wednesday festivals etc need to know a definite date.

The best case scenario I reckon is that the WG confirm on the 15th July that events can go ahead from the 5th August. There is a belief that Wales is 2 weeks behind England so August is probably the best we can hope for.

Noticed a bit of press coverage from Welsh festivals the last few days - that always helps.

On 7/8/2021 at 2:10 PM, CoupeyCoupey said:

I guess the big question here is can Green Man can hold off paying suppliers until after the announcement next week, or will they be forced to make a decision before then? 

Assuming, given their IG Stories activity today, that they're not about to make a postponement announcement despite promising a further update this week, that means they have just over five weeks at best between finding out the likelihood and actually going ahead, when usually you'd think first payments would have to be made by about now at the latest. Feels weird to be more optimistic about the lack of news this late in the day but by my reckoning second doses should pass 80% of Welsh adults in just over a fortnight's time, which must strengthen the case to be opening up by August.

Little Simz being mentioned is very interesting given she's sixth on EOTR's list and the two never usually share names that are that high on the bill, but I suppose this isn't a typical year. What would be interesting is where she'd be on the bill - she's self-confirmed the Sunday of EOTR so presumably she's subbing Hot Chip. Michael Kiwanuka seems to have decided to move all his dates to May 2022 onwards so I'm not sure he'd be headlining this year.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

Simz is the best in the game in the UK right now, would be absolutely incredible to see her at GM! They haven't posted any of her other songs or posts on their IG story as far as I can remember so maybe a new addition / confirmation - I would LOVE to know what's going on behind the scenes at GM HQ rn 😄

The anticipation is getting hard to deal with!

Its been a tough time for us all and we really need to release some tension. 

Remind ourselves how great it feels to be free in a group of people who just want to have good time and enjoy live music.

It is medicine for the soul at a time when we really need it.

Personally i've been stuck on an oil rig in Saudi for 8 out if the last 12 months and haven't been home since April, due to the Covid situation.

I can't think of anything better than telling my 14 year old daughter that i'm taking her back to Green Man festival this year especially if little simz is performing.

Just feel like I need this to happen 

• Like 5

We booked Boom Village as a back up to Green Man but if they both go ahead it will be 12 days in a row at a festival for us.

I'd have thought between BV, GM and EOTR there will be quite a lot of crossover bands although personally I'm happy with whoever as long as there's music in a field. 

• Like 1