Green Man 2021

Gilgamesh69

Yep, it's definitely judgement day.  I have done a total of nine tweets in my life, and have just sent one to Wales online.

Minty's Gig Guide has followed up asking another outlet to ask the same question.  If there's nothing positive then that's it I'm afraid.  As I said previously I think the first week in July is the longest they would be able to hold on for, and given Greenman's recent tweet replies there is nothing to indicate that they have any positive insider knowledge.

1 hour ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Yep, it's definitely judgement day.  I have done a total of nine tweets in my life, and have just sent one to Wales online.

Minty's Gig Guide has followed up asking another outlet to ask the same question.  If there's nothing positive then that's it I'm afraid.  As I said previously I think the first week in July is the longest they would be able to hold on for, and given Greenman's recent tweet replies there is nothing to indicate that they have any positive insider knowledge.

This is all so depressing. Sadly I am now in the camp assuming a cancellation is imminent. And Wales' admissions are so, so low it's ridiculous. As are daily deaths in the principality. I've never been to an illegal rave, though I love raving in clubs. That may change this summer. 

Ben

36 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

This is all so depressing. Sadly I am now in the camp assuming a cancellation is imminent. And Wales' admissions are so, so low it's ridiculous. As are daily deaths in the principality. I've never been to an illegal rave, though I love raving in clubs. That may change this summer. 

Ben

Exactly this. Music events of some sort are going to happen this summer anyway, surely it would be better if they were organised ones, both festivals and clubs. 

• Upvote 1

Lauren Laverne just played a track by Roscoe Roscoe on 6Music and mentioned that they’re playing at Green Man. They weren’t on last year’s poster; to me that’s a promising sign if some media folk are itk about line-ups etc.

I'm not sure the cancellation of the Cardiff Half bodes well, tbh. I would have also thought that the Welsh government may well be cautious about lots of people from England (where cases are now really high) congregating at the festival? I dunno.

38 minutes ago, beckstrous said:

I'm not sure the cancellation of the Cardiff Half bodes well, tbh. I would have also thought that the Welsh government may well be cautious about lots of people from England (where cases are now really high) congregating at the festival? I dunno.

The thing I don't get is how/why Steelhouse festival confirm they're happening but Cardiff half cancels despite being months later.

I still think we're in with a strong chance, given how vocal the English government are about the 19th of July.

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

The thing I don't get is how/why Steelhouse festival confirm they're happening but Cardiff half cancels despite being months later.

I still think we're in with a strong chance, given how vocal the English government are about the 19th of July.

I think it's a capacity issue. I get the feeling that Mr Drakeford has size of event as a key determinant of his comfort to allow it to occur.

Although I'm more optimistic today, I fear that we may get scuppered by some unjustified, non-evidence based size cut off...

Ben

9 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

This thread is too much. Every other day i'm changing from "yes it's happening, can't wait to finally be there!" to "It's hopeless, they should just announce the cancellation already" 😞

Isn't it??!!

As I've said before, total roller coaster every day!

If we do manage to get to Crickhowell in a few weeks, we'll look back on this run-in as quite the emotional trauma!

Ben

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I think it's a capacity issue. I get the feeling that Mr Drakeford has size of event as a key determinant of his comfort to allow it to occur.

Ben

I've got a ticket for Landed in 4 weeks which is a much smaller festival, and they're still selling tickets and so presumably are confident of it going ahead. 

I'm staying optimistic on GM happening until somebody (who actually knows stuff) tells me it's not.

See you there.

• Upvote 1

Their message this week said they'd give an update next week, didn't it?

I reckon that will be a yay or nay.

Whatever happens, let's just enjoy our weekends and keep everything crossed. I'm off camping for example, perfect prep for next month!

Are English Gov due an announcement next week? I know the UK is operating independently, but feels like if there is some 'positive' news it might have an impact on Green Man.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56251016

Bit of click bait but HOPEFUL is better than cancelled in my book! There's still lots of festivals on there without the backing of big Festival Republic's and the like. 

On 7/2/2021 at 8:32 AM, evannn said:

Lauren Laverne just played a track by Roscoe Roscoe on 6Music and mentioned that they’re playing at Green Man. They weren’t on last year’s poster; to me that’s a promising sign if some media folk are itk about line-ups etc.

I also heard this, however it was part of the same announcement as Richard Hawley playing Brass Festival at Durham Cathedral.  They subsequently had Hawley on to do an extensive interview about Brass, which they'd trailed heavily.  At the end of the interview, Lauren cut in to say something like: "very sorry, just heard news that Brass has been cancelled...".  Slightly awkward and suggests that these announcements don't mean much.

In other news, Houghton's approach is interesting (and mental) https://www.houghtonfestival.co.uk/

I think my take on the whole thing is that if insurance doesn't come through, but Javid next week announces England going ahead with 19th July (seems likely, whatever one's feelings on that), can Green Man confidently operate on the basis that Wales will follow suit?  I assume Wales would have to come out with their policy pretty sharpish after the English announcement?

In total support for GM trying to make this happen...if it does goes ahead, can we defer tickets to 2022?  I handed over £350 in 2019 for GM 2020, left my money with GM when 2020 got cancelled...but don't want to go if its not the full GM experience we all love..

It wont run unless its restriction free so that point is probably moot.

you may think the lineup isnt as good as usual (if we ever get one) 

i would imagine they would offer a roll over for those not comfortable being in crowds still

I believe they will cancel this week anyway so it wont matter

20 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

It wont run unless its restriction free so that point is probably moot.

you may think the lineup isnt as good as usual (if we ever get one) 

i would imagine they would offer a roll over for those not comfortable being in crowds still

I believe they will cancel this week anyway so it wont matter

As people have said in the Glastonbury thread on festivals happening or not, given that the Westminster government have effectively leaked the news that festivals in England can go ahead post 19 July, it'll be really interesting to see if Drakeford is prepared to be the big baddie. Admission and death rates in Wales are in low single figures daily. For him to cause Green Man now to cancel would be infuriating as it's just not supported by the data. 

Ben

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Why on earth would they have declined to be a test event?! The explanation makes no sense since being a test event is, in fact, the ONLY way to guarantee to go ahead, is it not?

Well she says in the article that they were offered to be a test event but with no guarantees so I assume on that basis that the requirements were too onerous without the benefit of knowing it would actually be able to happen 

13 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

https://accessaa.co.uk/green-man-festival-owner-calls-for-welsh-reopening/

I think we can safely say that GM are doing everything possible to go ahead. Interesting that they declined the opportunity to be a test event...

Ben

"We’ve already paid money to artists and suppliers but a decision, one way or the other, as to whether we press ahead with the festival will have to be made around a month beforehand." 

So, within the two weeks. The wait goes on.... 

3 minutes ago, Aeroplane Over the Sea said:

Well she says in the article that they were offered to be a test event but with no guarantees so I assume on that basis that the requirements were too onerous without the benefit of knowing it would actually be able to happen 

i think i’m forgetting latitude is westminster govt and green man would be dealing with welsh govt. my bad! Same guarantees latitude have got obviously were not given by welsh govt