Green Man 2021

Gilgamesh69

I'm not really sure what news they think they might get in the next week that would help them make a decision one way or the other so I'm unfortunately inclined to agree with much of the above.

Unfortunately, without a Government backed insurance scheme or serious financial backing it's impossible to put on an event of real magnitude without risking financial ruin.

Still, until the plug is officially pulled, I'll retain some modicum of hope...

I know it's just blind hope and desperation, and I know we've been here before and, for gods' sakes, he's my MP and I've had run-ins with him at hustings over the truth of Tory promises (40 new hospitals? Yeah, right...), but...

Sajid Javid's language and tone in the HOC today was palpably different to that which we've had before. There is clear and unequivocal evidence that the very significant infection case rise is not translating into statistically/operationally concerning hospital activity. Maybe through rose-tinted hearing aids, but his address in the House today was so much indicating that 19 July was it, and all restrictions will be removed and that the move would be irreversible. If that is the case then the only way to prevent a festival from going ahead thereafter would be to reimpose restrictions.

So, I'm not giving up. Of course, all that is irrelevant if things just get too tight for the GM team to feel safe enough to hang on in there. The only thing we have as a straw to clutch is the date. It's still nearly 8 weeks away, and that should be another 14 million vaccines given, at a conservative 250k/day.

Don't give up the dream, guys. I need people to stay positive to save my summer!

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Swansea93 said:

Steelhouse festival has been given the go ahead by the Welsh Goverment.

How do we know that? Was it a mail shot from the organisers to ticket holders? And what does the 'go ahead' mean? Surely not any form of insurance. Is it a Welsh test event? Is the fact that it's only 5000 capacity reason for us to be measured in our excitement?

I NEED INFORMATION!!!!!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

How do we know that? Was it a mail shot from the organisers to ticket holders? And what does the 'go ahead' mean? Surely not any form of insurance. Is it a Welsh test event? Is the fact that it's only 5000 capacity reason for us to be measured in our excitement?

I NEED INFORMATION!!!!!

Ben

This is all that was said, gotta give some hope I suppose.

• Upvote 1

Can’t really see how any other conclusion can be drawn other than GM is dead in the water for this year sadly

even the 12 july announcement for 19 july is just over 5 weeks till they are supposed to open, and to add to that its not even in england so extra doubts / confusion

i expect cancellation early next week. Desperately sad.

Just now, Memory Man said:

Even more of an excuse not to let masses of not fully vaccinated english youth in to put their cases up. 

of course it should go ahead. We cant keep living like this. But drakeford will beg to differ. Its off.

I come here for the cheery optimism 

I don't know about Green Man specifically but have some knowledge of the Welsh situation. The Welsh Gov and PHW are communicating with local authorities and large event stakeholders directly - they aren't subject to the same 21-day review cycle that we see in public.

For a few events, the stars aligned yesterday, and they got the formal go-ahead. I'm aware of one other (non-music) event that was expecting something yesterday but that decision got put back - for reasons not actually related to the event itself. So it's not out of the realms of possibility that GM is in a similar boat and had been hopeful of getting the nod yesterday.

So while I'll stress again that I have no insider information about GM I think the likelihood of it going ahead is a fair bit greater than you might expect.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I've been following the gov.uk coronavirus dashboard for a while now.

Notwithstanding the significant rise in cases (delta) throughout the UK, the numbers for hospitalisations, ventilator bed occupancy and deaths in Wales from CV is incredibly small and has barely moved since the latest case uptick began.

This is getting ridiculous now...

Ben

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I've been following the gov.uk coronavirus dashboard for a while now.

Notwithstanding the significant rise in cases (delta) throughout the UK, the numbers for hospitalisations, ventilator bed occupancy and deaths in Wales from CV is incredibly small and has barely moved since the latest case uptick began.

This is getting ridiculous now...

Ben

The hospital I work in in the NW has 14 ventilated COVID patients. This is in the summer, we shouldn’t be seeing any respiratory viruses. There was an interview on today this morning with a scientist who feared we are making the same mistakes of last summer, not controlling the virus and risking shit to hit the fan again in winter. I imagine if it was to be cancelled it’s this situation that the Welsh Government are trying to prevent.

It’s worth mentioning that Wales has the lowest number of ventilator beds per capita in Europe, so the government has always had to be more conservative. What happened in the NW is that it was allowed to spread amongst the younger population until it reached a critical point and started spreading in the at risk older age groups. 

I am desperate for it to go ahead, I have lots of friends that I only get to see at GM really so haven’t seen them in coming up two years. But I’d definitely sacrifice it to not lockdown again in the winter, and I trust the people making the decisions may not be popular but do it with all the data available. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rug568 said:

The hospital I work in in the NW has 14 ventilated COVID patients. This is in the summer, we shouldn’t be seeing any respiratory viruses. There was an interview on today this morning with a scientist who feared we are making the same mistakes of last summer, not controlling the virus and risking shit to hit the fan again in winter. I imagine if it was to be cancelled it’s this situation that the Welsh Government are trying to prevent.

It’s worth mentioning that Wales has the lowest number of ventilator beds per capita in Europe, so the government has always had to be more conservative. What happened in the NW is that it was allowed to spread amongst the younger population until it reached a critical point and started spreading in the at risk older age groups. 

I am desperate for it to go ahead, I have lots of friends that I only get to see at GM really so haven’t seen them in coming up two years. But I’d definitely sacrifice it to not lockdown again in the winter, and I trust the people making the decisions may not be popular but do it with all the data available. 

Hmmm...

Last 7 days from gov.uk:

Cases up by 69.9%

Admissions up by 6.4%

Increase in ventilated bed occupancy is modest and much more influenza and pneumonia than COVID-19 according to colleagues.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't 'over', but vaccination has changed the paradigm for the impact of CV on a population level in the UK. I don't believe we will 'ever' lockdown again for SARS-CoV-2. Other novel viruses...? All bets are off.

Ben

Yesterday I quizzed a Welsh govt AM that I vaguely know, but no indication one way or the other.  So I tried bribery; “I promise I’ll vote for you if you give GM the Green Light”.   The AM looked thoughtful but promised nothing.  I’ll bring a few more voters in to bat the next time I see them…

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

15 minutes ago, Ged Devereux said:

Need to be on site for 5pm on the Wednesday 

I should have said that I am  designated crew. I am due on site a fair few days before Stewards . There must be a glitch in the systems as  I haven't heard  anything which is quite under stand able but I hope all goes well for stewards.

Edited by marathonsteve
  • Upvote 2