• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any chance we'll get an announcement of some surnames before Christmas?

I've updated my speculative line up. It looks like there are a fair few non-UK based acts being announced for things in Aug/Sep so there are a few below as a result. New names not on the original line

Reckon Angel went on holiday to the Breacon Beacons during lockdown and decided it was the place for her 

Posted Images

Fiona Apple, Sweet Trip and Bikini Kill are my pipe dreams. Oh and Ichiko Aoba after dark in the Walled Garden. 

I think Ty Segall and Lucinda Williams are looking like non-returners. That leaves at least two high profile additions (in addition to the normal one or two we’d usually expect in the second announcement). Lots to be excited about.  When Caroline Polachek gets announced - which it looks like she would have been pre-Covid - that’ll make the poster look even better.

Could we see Phoebe Bridgers, Protomartyr and Waxahatchee perhaps? I reckon Roisin Murphy will be there. I’d love to see Dan Deacon added as well. 

EDIT: Adding Courtney Barnett to the list of high-profile additions as well. 

Edited by lessthanwill1
  • 1 month later...

Some possible new names based off my weekly twitter stalking include: 

- Billy Nomates (most people will be familiar with her i imagine)

- Sofia Wolfson (very nice sounding singer songwriter. She's also playing End of the Road this year, which adds to the likelihood of her playing in my mind given that the two fests often shares lots of acts lower down the bill)

- Yard Act (post-punk act, sound a lot like Do Nothing to me - not my sort of thing but whatever.  Also playing End of the Road)

59 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

"We may have an announcement in the near future" 

Where did they say that?

Everything i've seen suggests that news will be coming in the next few months. So i'd assume that means they're giving themselves as much time as possible before making a decision. 

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Where did they say that?

Everything i've seen suggests that news will be coming in the next few months. So i'd assume that means they're giving themselves as much time as possible before making a decision. 

I know mid-August might still be possible with the rollout expanding quickly and suggestions that the plan of getting every over-16 vaccinated by the autumn might be more than achievable (although we don't know about actual takeup yet especially among younger adults and that's the important thing) but three days ago they replied to someone "We should have line-up / ticket update coming in next few months", which doesn't sound to me like they're confident especially if they can't put even an approximate time period on anything.

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I know mid-August might still be possible with the rollout expanding quickly and suggestions that the plan of getting every over-16 vaccinated by the autumn might be more than achievable (although we don't know about actual takeup yet especially among younger adults and that's the important thing) but three days ago they replied to someone "We should have line-up / ticket update coming in next few months", which doesn't sound to me like they're confident especially if they can't put even an approximate time period on anything.

In fairness, who could be 'confident'?

I wouldn't read too much into that. They might be waiting to see which overseas artists cancel their tour who will need to be replaced on the poster.

And could also be arse-covering exercise from social media guy to always say 'should' not 'will'.

3 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Yes , because "lineup coming in the next few months" obviously sounds like "'cancellation incoming!" 🥴.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the most recent twitter reply (2 days ago) i could find from the festival is on whether it will happen was;

“there will be a call on it in the next couple of months.. we’ll keep you posted 🤞

If a call is made in April then that’s good news in my opinion. I am optimistic that we will be in a better place

Edited by ShakeyCrash
9 hours ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Well most twitter reply (2 days ago) i could find from the festival is on whether it will happen was;

“there will be a call on it in the next couple of months.. we’ll keep you posted 🤞

If a call is made in April then that’s good news in my opinion. I am optimistic that we will be in a better place

Will be touch and go won’t it.

I keep doing the vaccine calculator thing (not sure how accurate it is?) and my dates keep moving sooner and sooner (now start of Summer and I’m not in any priority group) which is a good sign! 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I keep doing the vaccine calculator thing (not sure how accurate it is?) and my dates keep moving sooner and sooner (now start of Summer and I’m not in any priority group) which is a good sign! 

Yep, it depends on a number of things but by April we should start to see the non-theoretical impact of the vaccine. If they are working as expected or better then the pace of rollout is such that we should be in with a shot (pun noticed but not intended). If they are not because of variants or whatever then so be it.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:23 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

The government quietly moved their target for giving everyone over 50 (and those younger with underlying health conditions) at least one shot from "by April" to "by May" in their most recent announcements, but there's been a suggestion that that's more like arse covering based on the rollout going so much better than expectation - three million in the last week - that supply is barely keeping up. Apart from vague "aiming for everyone being covered by autumn" quotes there's been nothing publicly announced about under-50s yet, maybe wisely given the shifting timeframes, circumstances and rate of take-up - any calculations about first shots after Easter or so will be slowed up because the people in this stage of the rollout will require their second shots by then. Maybe we'll have to wait for this big roadmap announcement promised for a couple of weeks' time, by which time (weather permitting) everyone willing over 70 should have had a jab, but according to someone in another thread the government's current advice is to plan for full capacity from July.

Regardless, there'll have to come a point in the next couple of months where, like Glastonbury having to make a decision in advance of the site building beginning in March, GM and the like are going to have to weigh up whether it's worth chancing it against potential losses for early expenditure, especially with the government still stalling on underwriting pandemic insurance for festivals.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

GREEN MAN 2021 CONFIRMED.

I mean, let's just make sure first...

Occurs to me that GM, if it's trying to get the 2020 lineup back together, isn't in such a bad position as it could be even if a lot of overseas acts can't make it. (Travel restrictions review by April 12th "at the earliest" but a lot of artists will be planning around a period of European festivals which could well be on shakier ground)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

I know it's the weekend after, but Creamfields have said they are "extremely confident that Creamfields will go ahead this year". So if a large festival  is confident, then surely Green Man - which is much smaller - has a decent chance, no?

Edited by Gilgamesh69
18 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I know it's the weekend after, but Creamfields have said they are "extremely confident that Creamfields will go ahead this year". So if a large festival  is confident, then surely Green Man - which is much smaller - has a decent chance, no?

It does but different government and Wales’ deputy chief medical officer has downplayed things a tad:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/coronavirus-wales-restrictions-lockdown-medical-19894175

It’s possible greenman won’t get anything indication wise  from the welsh government for the next month or two (restrictions are reviewed every 3 weeks, and we know what the next easing in restrictions will be which is older primary school and some non-essential stuff like hairdressers.

On the plus side hospital admissions are decreasing very quickly and vaccinations are going well so I’m still confident

I’m excited for Green Man now but know a lot needs to happen between now and then. Not least discussions between the festival and the Welsh government. 
Was looking forward to Mac Demarco but if it ends up being UK based artists it’ll still be awesome