• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any chance we'll get an announcement of some surnames before Christmas?

I've updated my speculative line up. It looks like there are a fair few non-UK based acts being announced for things in Aug/Sep so there are a few below as a result. New names not on the original line

Reckon Angel went on holiday to the Breacon Beacons during lockdown and decided it was the place for her 

Posted Images

Latest response to (increasingly impatient) requests for news on Twitter: 
"Hi there, we're hoping to have more of an update in the coming weeks - we're still trying to make it work. But cheers for bearing with us right now, GM"

"Still trying to make it work" sort of implies the default position is that it won't work...

1 hour ago, Ed90 said:

Latest response to (increasingly impatient) requests for news on Twitter: 
"Hi there, we're hoping to have more of an update in the coming weeks - we're still trying to make it work. But cheers for bearing with us right now, GM"

"Still trying to make it work" sort of implies the default position is that it won't work...

I fear that’s ultimately the default setting for most, if not all festivals this summer…

Essentially I'm just coming here for hope, or new ways of looking at the data!
I don't want to be one of those people who's impatient to get back to "normal", but I fear I'm slowly becoming one.  If hospitalisations and deaths stay low, and festivals can do lateral flow testing on entry, is there hope?
Read about a festival being run in Albania last week on the logic that if everyone is tested on entry, then its safer than outside the festival. 

1 hour ago, Ed90 said:

Even if we understand their difficulties, selling tickets and then saying these words is not exactly the nicest thing to do...

1 hour ago, Ed90 said:

Essentially I'm just coming here for hope, or new ways of looking at the data!
I don't want to be one of those people who's impatient to get back to "normal", but I fear I'm slowly becoming one.  If hospitalisations and deaths stay low, and festivals can do lateral flow testing on entry, is there hope?
Read about a festival being run in Albania last week on the logic that if everyone is tested on entry, then its safer than outside the festival. 

You would have thought that proof of a negative test would be good enough for entry.

The vaccine passport route is somewhat divisive but even without that in place the overwhelming vast majority, if not all, adults who want a jab would have had it by mid August (and maybe even some kids.)

If that is the case it would seem to me quite ridiculous not to allow festivals to be on.

5 minutes ago, benali said:

You would have thought that proof of a negative test would be good enough for entry.

The vaccine passport route is somewhat divisive but even without that in place the overwhelming vast majority, if not all, adults who want a jab would have had it by mid August (and maybe even some kids.)

If that is the case it would seem to me quite ridiculous not to allow festivals to be on.

One jab but not two though for most.

In other countries, that doesn't count as a 'vaccine passport'.

On 6/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, bennyhana22 said:

It's a great festival, @zeppelin - this will be my third, and first since 2014, when the line up was so strong that I watched all three headliners on the third stage!

It's a lovely atmosphere - you can sense the lack of corporate pecuniary motives. And it's probably the most beautiful setting of any festival I've done. There is a reason for that, however - it is Wales, and there's a reason it's so green...

2012 was almost as hard as Glastonbury 2016...!

🙂

Ben

Ben,

I foolishly posted my comment just before I went off grid camping for the weekend and have been meaning to come back to this, so thanks!

Three headliners on the third stage is really quite something. The setting and the lineups over the years are really what pulled me in. I normally only really get Glastonbury in these days so seemed like the perfect year to give it a go.

I do hope we get an announcement soon though, even if just to settle the nerves.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Ben,

I foolishly posted my comment just before I went off grid camping for the weekend and have been meaning to come back to this, so thanks!

Three headliners on the third stage is really quite something. The setting and the lineups over the years are really what pulled me in. I normally only really get Glastonbury in these days so seemed like the perfect year to give it a go.

I do hope we get an announcement soon though, even if just to settle the nerves.

I'm the same - I'm very much a one-festival-per-year person, and if Glastonbury is on and the ticket gods continue to smile on me, then that's me done. 

I went to Boomtown in the 2018 fallow year, but did a couple of Green...erm...Men a few years ago. For me it's a perfect festival of that size, - location, line up, vibe - the only change I would make is that I'd beef up the late night dance element. I was lucky enough to have Ben UFO followed by The Field until about 3 or 4am on one of my visits there, and that was amazing. But, it's not 'that' kind of festival as such, so that's just me being entitled. The problem is that once I've done Glastonbury, with bands from 11-midnight and techno/PsyTrance/electro from midnight to 0600h, nothing's ever quite going to match it! 

One of my GM-heading pals and I have tickets for a rave in London on the GM Saturday date, bought before we decided to go for resale tickets. We still haven't entirely ruled out the possibility of a ridiculous trip from GM to London on the Saturday late evening, rave at E1 all night, then back to GM on the Sunday morning! I mean, it's an absolutely mental idea, but quite exciting all the same. 

As things stand, atm I'd be so, so happy just to get back in those Welsh mountains again. I just don't know where my head is regarding likelihood. As someone in healthcare and so with a bit of insight (and obsession with following the CV situation), I think we're likely heading for some pushback on 21 June - I'd guess two weeks for surge testing and vaccination with increased national vaccine push for the under 25s too. If that was the case (assuming Wales are not too different), would the GM guys be able to hang on? One of the other posters on eFests has just told us that Latitude offered him a month's work during their build, and they're scheduled for a 22 July start. Now, I know they've got FR money power behind them, but that's a festival that fully intends to be on four weeks before GM.

Man, I want to go to a festival this year....

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I tend to be a four festivals a year person but Green Man in recent years has run Glastonbury a close second for me.  It has most of the good bits of Glastonbury but without the hassle.  Stunning setting and a great place to chill.  A comfortable size and the main stage can be easily watched safe distancing.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:50 PM, bennyhana22 said:

One of my GM-heading pals and I have tickets for a rave in London on the GM Saturday date, bought before we decided to go for resale tickets. We still haven't entirely ruled out the possibility of a ridiculous trip from GM to London on the Saturday late evening, rave at E1 all night, then back to GM on the Sunday morning! I mean, it's an absolutely mental idea, but quite exciting all the same. 

I was hoping to do something similar. Drive down and set up the tent on the Thursday, head back up to my friends wedding in Liverpool on Friday then come back down early Saturday morning. However, saw an article yesterday where the organisers said something they were looking at is not allowing site re-entry from a Covid perspective, so both of our plans could be scuppered...

1 hour ago, SaintEwart said:

I was hoping to do something similar. Drive down and set up the tent on the Thursday, head back up to my friends wedding in Liverpool on Friday then come back down early Saturday morning. However, saw an article yesterday where the organisers said something they were looking at is not allowing site re-entry from a Covid perspective, so both of our plans could be scuppered...

Keeping the leper colony contained...it's kind of hard to argue against it (even though it is likely scientifically questionable in terms of efficacy!)!!

At this stage, I don't think I'm in any position to argue the toss about what might be possible for me. Quite frankly any music, anywhere atm would be just dandy!

Ben

I never even considered that would be a possibility for these festivals.

Not doing Green Man but I will be at EOTR and was considering going to Wide Awake on the friday and then heading back to EOTR, so would be annoying if I can't do that 😞

1 hour ago, Sean1234321 said:

I never even considered that would be a possibility for these festivals.

Not doing Green Man but I will be at EOTR and was considering going to Wide Awake on the friday and then heading back to EOTR, so would be annoying if I can't do that 😞

Thinking about it a bit more, I wonder if the festivals even can do that - at least not without offering a full refund to anyone who wants one, as that sounds like a major change in Ts&Cs from when tickets were purchased, and so probably breach of 'contract'. There are lots of non-re-entry events, but that is clearly stated at the point of purchase. Pretty sure that's not the case for GM and EOTR.

Ben

51 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Thinking about it a bit more, I wonder if the festivals even can do that - at least not without offering a full refund to anyone who wants one, as that sounds like a major change in Ts&Cs from when tickets were purchased, and so probably breach of 'contract'. There are lots of non-re-entry events, but that is clearly stated at the point of purchase. Pretty sure that's not the case for GM and EOTR.

Ben

Yes, plus at what point on site would they stop people leaving? At EOTR if it was the wristband exchange then that would mean people couldn't go back to their cars at any point which would be ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

Yes, plus at what point on site would they stop people leaving? At EOTR if it was the wristband exchange then that would mean people couldn't go back to their cars at any point which would be ridiculous.

This is all heavy on speculation and I imagine if it does happen it will be a last resort

24 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Soooo...what do we think of our prospects?

I think we're still in with a chance. 

My brother thinks almost all festivals will cancel within the next week. 

Both based on nothing more than our optimism or cynicism... 

18 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Haha.  Latitude (end of July) still seem to be holding out some hope of going ahead based on their statement.  Guess it depends if gov can be convinced that testing upon entry is good enough.  Or whether they'll even listen to that argument.

I read the Latitude system very negatively that they were softening people up to cancel at the end of the week. Perhaps the last hope is that they can persuade someone that they be added as a test event.