Protest songs

PDAD

Just now, danmarks said:

Great leap forward - billy bragg. No idea how to link. Sorry.

Oh and obviously Wont get fooled again- the Who. (Not protest as such but perfect).

I've been queueing up the protest songs the last hour and Wont get fooled again is on currently. 

unagi.jpg

• Upvote 1

Being an old fart of a l mostly leftie hippie theres gonna be loads.A  bit like the good book (High Fidelity) says this is the moment my life has been pracricing for. Gotta have a bit of Frank Turner -Love song and Ire. 

Times they are a changing- bob . Still cuts the mustard-you just need to listen with fresh ears not hear what you think you know

• Upvote 1

Cant go wrong with Frank. Or Beans on Toast. Two people with hearts very much in the right place!

Since your suggestion, i have just listened to Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards and forgot how great old Bill was. 

Johnny Was next on the queue. 

Meanwhile, listening to Public Enemy's 2020 rework of Fight the Power. Tremendous stuff.

Ah Prophets of Rage. A big mistake of mine, Boomtown last year. I could have stayed at the Lions Den to see UB40 and then Lauryn Hill, or go to Town Centre to see Salt n Pepa and Prophets of Rage. 

I gave into stupid peer pressure and stuck with the first option at the Lions Den. UB40 were shit. Lauryn hill couldnt be fucked to show up within an hour of the allotted time. Meanwhile, I've heard that Salt n Pepa were 'wicked mate' and well, I missed this by Prophets of Rage. 

I digress. How could I forget one of the best songs ever written? 

Lauren Hills was one of my bigger Glastonbury disappointments, was so excited to see her but she just couldn't be arsed and I gave up within a couple of songs. Have been going down the rap route and never heard this before:

... listening to a sweet bit of Sam Cooke though has now changed my path.

Bread and Roses by Joan Baez (and quite a few others). 

One of my personal favourites, about the struggles of women in the trade union movement and the simple fact that although the fight is for better wages there are other things that are equally important. The things that turn an existence into a life such as health, education, the arts. It was also sung more recently in the film Pride, a film about the unlikely help given to Welsh miners during the strike by a gay activist group from London. Well worth a watch