U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

Just now, Gingerfish79 said:

I have seen a few political commentators writing on Twitter today of a 'gut feel' that something has been missed or forgotten in the analysis, probably the same people who were forgotten in 2016. 

It's a tough one, there were certainly people who in 2016 warned that despite polling it wouldn't take a huge swing away for a Trump win. It now appears to require even more of a swing, and without any real indication of where the swing will come from

But of course there's everything to play for until it's over!

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

All getting a bit lost and jumbled in the other thread so thought I’d start this now that the election is upon us and so conversation will no doubt be amped up. 

Not at all Glastonbury related but hopefully can be kept here for visibility for tonight/tomorrow at least.

Great idea.... Sick of reading about it in the "when will this shit end" thread haha . I couldn't care a less who wins all politicians are corrupt once they're backers get into them.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

It is possible pollsters have over done with the weighting of polls to compensate for shy trumpsters to avoid another 2016 fuckup...and actually it will end up a massive Biden landslide.

I wonder if people will be less shy this time around, in 2016 he was a more unknown figure, so people might have wanted to keep their cards tight to their chest. Over his presidency it seems his support has become more vocal and cult-like, they don't need to be shy anymore!

20 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I have seen a few political commentators writing on Twitter today of a 'gut feel' that something has been missed or forgotten in the analysis, probably the same people who were forgotten in 2016. 

The polls were only out by a tiny amount last time and there have been measures put in place to correct that. This time there is a larger and more consistent difference.

That's not to say it's impossible that they are wrong but if they are it's because something fundamentally different has happened. Pollsters are professional companies employing many people to think about what's going on, its arrogant and silly to sit there and think "sure the polls say something but what if Republicans don't talk to pollsters" and imagine it's some original insight that the people whose livelihood depend on this stuff haven't thought of.

• Upvote 1

I think people need to also remember unless you're already fully bought into his bullshit, there's nothing that Trump is offering this time around apart from a very vague "jobs!" push. It's just basically More Of The Same.

The prospect of voting for him out of some kind of rebellious anti-politician anti-establishment act like first time around will have absolutely lost its novelty for a lot of people, and Biden isn't positioned as a threat to their livelihoods or the country in the same way Hilary was. He's a boring, unthreatening choice and I feel like that might work in his favour for people who've flip-flopped.

17 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I think people need to also remember unless you're already fully bought into his bullshit, there's nothing that Trump is offering this time around apart from a very vague "jobs!" push. It's just basically More Of The Same.

The prospect of voting for him out of some kind of rebellious anti-politician anti-establishment act like first time around will have absolutely lost its novelty for a lot of people, and Biden isn't positioned as a threat to their livelihoods or the country in the same way Hilary was. He's a boring, unthreatening choice and I feel like that might work in his favour for people who've flip-flopped.

Said this before on the other thread but I was trying to figure out what Trump actually stands for, so I Googled it and the Republicans haven't even bothered to produce a platform(/manifesto) this time. For contrast, from memory the Democrat one is over 80 pages.