U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

It’s just going to seem more boring for the time being because we cant just live normal lives. If this was happening with things being “fine”, there would still be plenty of cat memes to go around. And I doubt there wont be more karen moments and such coming. 

Edited by Suprefan

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Give it a year or so and the idiots will just move on to being stupid about something else.

Yeah, the big prediction for QAnon once it all fails to come true is that it will just evolve into something else (according to the pod I listen to anyway).

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Give it a year or so and the idiots will just move on to being stupid about something else.

Hmm it could morph. I do think this is a bit crazy though. Some of these vocal lot seem to have been put into a state of psychosis and they are taking every loss as evidence they are winning.

I don’t actually know how you lift people out of a mentality like that. My brother in laws mother who is a bit of QAnon nutter (with the most love I can give) still thinks Trump is playing chess. Anything that happens is “all part of the plan”.

How can one person inspire this much faith in people. How can people fall for this so hard?

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Thank you HughJ , that made me laugh.

America is forever, not so much the home of the brave, more the home of the very stupid about something, anything, and the wisest, with something of a bent towards the former.

Christopher Hitchens

“It's a curious thing in American life that the most abject nonsense will be excused if the utterer can claim the sanction of religion. A country which forbids an established church by law is prey to any denomination. The best that can be said is that this is pluralism of a kind.”

Edited by bamber

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Is trump going to become some kind of mythical figure now and we have a cult of idiots talking about his second coming? Feels like it.

Apparently his Parler profile includes #MAGA2024.

It's never ending. 

17 minutes ago, Homer said:

Not surprising. Seen a few videos she posted in the past few months/in the lead up to the storming of the building and she... err... didn’t sound well. 

What really scares me about the QAnon/right wing lunatics is we have no idea how to counter them and I’m not even sure I know what they stand for. I used to think it was for the rose tinted glasses view of America, American ideals, the constitution, white nationalism etc. But it’s clear after recent months that they don’t ultimately care about the constitution other than a couple of specific amendments and they don’t stand for law and order.  I’m not convinced it’s entirely a race thing either although it’s obviously an element. I don’t buy that they stand against communism because they haven’t got a fucking idea what it actually is. It’s such a scattergun of different ideas, riddled with inconsistencies, and I don’t really see what joins it all together. The bbc footage of the lunatic on Wednesday summed it up when the reporter asked “what now”, and the response was something like “well, uhh, I guess we just wait until they take us seriously”. Take you seriously on what? What do you actually want other than to cause chaos?

And I feel a bit uneasy about all the back patting with the Twitter ban. I don’t think ultimately it’s going to make any difference and it will further fuel the anger with his supporters. But it had to be done due to how dangerous his tweets were. I just don’t see how we defeat this toxic movement. Everything we see as a major victory just further strengthens their resolve...

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, jparx said:

What really scares me about the QAnon/right wing lunatics is we have no idea how to counter them and I’m not even sure I know what they stand for. I used to think it was for the rose tinted glasses view of America, American ideals, the constitution, white nationalism etc. But it’s clear after recent months that they don’t ultimately care about the constitution other than a couple of specific amendments and they don’t stand for law and order.  I’m not convinced it’s entirely a race thing either although it’s obviously an element. I don’t buy that they stand against communism because they haven’t got a fucking idea what it actually is. It’s such a scattergun of different ideas, riddled with inconsistencies, and I don’t really see what joins it all together. The bbc footage of the lunatic on Wednesday summed it up when the reporter asked “what now”, and the response was something like “well, uhh, I guess we just wait until they take us seriously”. Take you seriously on what? What do you actually want other than to cause chaos?

And I feel a bit uneasy about all the back patting with the Twitter ban. I don’t think ultimately it’s going to make any difference and it will further fuel the anger with his supporters. But it had to be done due to how dangerous his tweets were. I just don’t see how we defeat this toxic movement. Everything we see as a major victory just further strengthens their resolve...

I saw this which is very good on why we should deplatform them on social media

20210109_134730.jpg

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

I saw this which is very good on why we should deplatform them on social media

20210109_134730.jpg

Hope they’re right! The worry is just how many of them are extremists at this stage. Seems like a lot of them are too far gone.

47 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think it’s quite simple. It looks a bit like psychosis to me.

A group of people out there are working together to take away your freedom and harm your children/family. One man can save you from them.

All the who what or where kinda falls into place around it but from its bare bones it looks like a form of mental illness to me. That around you is a huge superstructure of evil and the number of people that you can actually trust is very little. It then all centres around one “hero” which is going to save the day.

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think it’s quite simple. It looks a bit like psychosis to me.

A group of people out there are working together to take away your freedom and harm your children/family. One man can save you from them.

All the who what or where kinda falls into place around it but from its bare bones it looks like a form of mental illness to me. That around you is a huge superstructure of evil and the number of people that you can actually trust is very little. It then all centres around one “hero” which is going to save the day.

I guess that’s it - you’re not fighting a political movement, you’re fighting a group of people who are so desperate, scared, insecure etc that they’ve become completely deluded.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I guess that’s it - you’re not fighting a political movement, you’re fighting a group of people who are so desperate, scared, insecure etc that they’ve become completely deluded.

a group of people who are so desperate, scared, insecure etc that they’ve become completely deluded.

=

ie a cult