U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

Qanon is pretty much recycled conspiracy theories which the Nazi’s also used. Just replace the word “Jew” with “democrat” or “Elite”:https://www.justsecurity.org/72339/qanon-is-a-nazi-cult-rebranded/

The new element is how easily it’s propagated through social media and the internet. I can remember the days of online conspiracy theories being a niche fun thing. Alex Jones was funny not horrifying. Over recent years it’s become increasingly disturbing how easily these lies and misinformation spread. The fact that a significant minority of the US population believes the election is rigged is going to be a huge security issue in the years to come. These people have been completely radicalised. 

Edited by zero000
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jparx said:

I guess that’s it - you’re not fighting a political movement, you’re fighting a group of people who are so desperate, scared, insecure etc that they’ve become completely deluded.

4 hours ago, Copperface said:

a group of people who are so desperate, scared, insecure etc that they’ve become completely deluded.

=

ie a cult

2 hours ago, zero000 said:

Qanon is pretty much recycled conspiracy theories which the Nazi’s also used. Just replace the word “Jew” with “democrat” or “Elite”:https://www.justsecurity.org/72339/qanon-is-a-nazi-cult-rebranded/

The new element is how easily it’s propagated through social media and the internet. I can remember the days of online conspiracy theories being a niche fun thing. Alex Jones was funny not horrifying. Over recent years it’s become increasingly disturbing how easily these lies and misinformation spread. The fact that a significant minority of the US population believes the election is rigged is going to be a huge security issue in the years to come. These people have been completely radicalised. 

thought I’d group together

Yes - the fact that only one person and one person alone can save you or make the world right again is very cult-like. 

This is why QAnon can be swapped with so many things, because if you get down to the nitty gritty it’s tapping into the fears that some organisations larger than yourself are out to get you. Say that to the impressionable and they will immediately lap it up. Also, if I’m going to go there - people who don’t usually have much at all and live pretty much within their means will be terrified by the thought at having less. The reason I think that trump found his way home with these people is because he scared a lot of people with very little, that there was a real and genuine threat out there which would leave them with less. This is why you see his supporters going on about the economy so much (even though it rarely benefitted them), because they really believed trump was out to enrich them, and the democrats were out to burden them.

Its a sweeping generalisation but it’s how I see it. Trump knew exactly what he needed to say to get their loyalty.

The rich big dogs that backed Trump saw this too and knew that if they backed him, the heat would be off them!

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

thought I’d group together

Yes - the fact that only one person and one person alone can save you or make the world right again is very cult-like. 

This is why QAnon can be swapped with so many things, because if you get down to the nitty gritty it’s tapping into the fears that some organisations larger than yourself are out to get you. Say that to the impressionable and they will immediately lap it up. Also, if I’m going to go there - people who don’t usually have much at all and live pretty much within their means will be terrified by the thought at having less. The reason I think that trump found his way home with these people is because he scared a lot of people with very little, that there was a real and genuine threat out there which would leave them with less. This is why you see his supporters going on about the economy so much (even though it rarely benefitted them), because they really believed trump was out to enrich them, and the democrats were out to burden them.

Its a sweeping generalisation but it’s how I see it. Trump knew exactly what he needed to say to get their loyalty.

The rich big dogs that backed Trump saw this too and knew that if they backed him, the heat would be off them!

Lol at anyone who thinks the right wing will ever do anything to help the poor!

18 hours ago, bamber said:

Thank you HughJ , that made me laugh.

America is forever, not so much the home of the brave, more the home of the very stupid about something, anything, and the wisest, with something of a bent towards the former.

Christopher Hitchens

“It's a curious thing in American life that the most abject nonsense will be excused if the utterer can claim the sanction of religion. A country which forbids an established church by law is prey to any denomination. The best that can be said is that this is pluralism of a kind.”

that's cos the US constitution allows full freedom for religions which puts them beyond reasonable criticism.

Back in the 70s/80s (not sure if it still exists) there was a 'church' that had a 'religious order' to smoke weed, which made smoking weed legal (in theory, anyway. Not sure if it was ever tested in a court).

I saw something the other day which said the USA has a different attitude towards religions because the standing of religions hasn't been knocked down as its been in Europe. As an easy example, just think of how Ireland's attitudes to religion has changed so hugely in the last 30-ish years.

5 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Yeah, gonna be hilarious when they all have nothing to use on the internet. I doubt anyone will host them. Cloudflare aint having it.

How many of them are there though? 

700? 7000? 70 million? 

Banning free speech isn’t good. I get the argument if it’s causing violence then it’s not free speech but that goes for both sides of America. Crazy how it’s got to ‘two sides’ but that’s how it is. It’s been kicking off for 5 years and free speech hasn’t been threatened until now. 
What next? 

2 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

700? 7000? 70 million? 

Banning free speech isn’t good. I get the argument if it’s causing violence then it’s not free speech but that goes for both sides of America. Crazy how it’s got to ‘two sides’ but that’s how it is. It’s been kicking off for 5 years and free speech hasn’t been threatened until now. 
What next? 

Nobody is banning free speech.

Some companies are holding their users to their rules, but nobody has lost their right to say what they want.

10 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

700? 7000? 70 million? 

What next? 

Its not free speech. Private companies can do what they want and the right wingers can say what they want somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Its not free speech. Private companies can do what they want and the right wingers can say what they want somewhere else.

amusingly, Trump has been calling for social media platforms to be legally responsible for the content posted by users.

Now those platforms are taking responsibility for the content Trump doesn't like it.

It's almost like he'll say anything as long as it favours him. 😛