U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

Yesterday, the US had the highest number of COVID deaths since the pandemic began - over 3,000.

What amazes me is the front pages of the news websites...

492298651_Screenshot2020-12-03at10_27_41.thumb.png.a99c7db322aec6b77ef163cd668a7781.png

ABC news have it as their top story.

1037820599_Screenshot2020-12-03at10_28_33.thumb.png.d868522fde5fe9305c0eb51bbf76696c.png

CBS news have a related stat as its top story.

320467284_Screenshot2020-12-03at10_27_10.thumb.png.d25776a03a0c7358e20b56b74441d177.png

CNN have it as their second story, following the first, another COVID related story.

154187554_Screenshot2020-12-03at10_26_55.thumb.png.8b9232f9625068c25304adced30edceb.png

But as for Fox, they're not even reporting it at all. In fact, you have to scroll down to find even a single story on the pandemic, and that's Tucker Carlson, proclaiming it a fraud.

When Trump said nobody would talk about the pandemic after the election, it sounded like BS, but if you're only watching Fox, he was damn right.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

320467284_Screenshot2020-12-03at10_27_10.thumb.png.d25776a03a0c7358e20b56b74441d177.png

Who's the three ex-presidents willing to have the vaccine? Clinton and Obama are the obvious ones but I can't see George W willing to do something so public since he's seems to be done with this sort of thing and Carter is in his 90's.

5 minutes ago, jump said:

Who's the three ex-presidents willing to have the vaccine? Clinton and Obama are the obvious ones but I can't see George W willing to do something so public since he's seems to be done with this sort of thing and Carter is in his 90's.

It’s W.

Him doing it will go a long way to convincing a lot of Republicans to get it as well. Obviously there’s always gonna be holder outers, but having an ex Republican president there is absolutely necessary alongside the two Democrats. Just those two alone would convince nobody that wasn’t already planning on getting it anyway, and would even discourage some of the ‘Democrats are evil!!!’ types.

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s W.

Him doing it will go a long way to convincing a lot of Republicans to get it as well. Obviously there’s always gonna be holder outers, but having an ex Republican president there is absolutely necessary alongside the two Democrats. Just those two alone would convince nobody that wasn’t already planning on getting it anyway, and would even discourage some of the ‘Democrats are evil!!!’ types.

I think they've written off Dubya now, he's not part of the cult.

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think they've written off Dubya now, he's not part of the cult.

He didn’t come out and endorse Biden, and hasn’t said anything bad about Trump either as far as I know, so he’s in somewhat neutral ground I think, or at least to the reasonable Republicans - there’s no saving the MAGA lot and it wouldn’t surprise me if they consider him a traitor for one reason or another.

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

He didn’t come out and endorse Biden, and hasn’t said anything bad about Trump either as far as I know, so he’s in somewhat neutral ground I think, or at least to the reasonable Republicans - there’s no saving the MAGA lot and it wouldn’t surprise me if they consider him a traitor for one reason or another.

He said Biden won the election that he clearly won. He's an enemy now 

Dubya is just done with politics ain't he, he even didn't endorse his own brother as being president left a sour taste.

Speaking of which I watched Vice the other day about Dick Chaney and how he was "co-president" with him. It's a good watch and Sam Rockwell is a really good and likable W.

18 hours ago, jump said:

Dubya is just done with politics ain't he, he even didn't endorse his own brother as being president left a sour taste.

Speaking of which I watched Vice the other day about Dick Chaney and how he was "co-president" with him. It's a good watch and Sam Rockwell is a really good and likable W.

We watched that a while back. Thought it was brilliant.

Funny looking back that I thought it would be impossible to find an administration worse than that one. How naive!

Yeah I thought Vice was great, and Cheney was apparently not happy at all with it and called Bale a dick, so you know he did a good job.

As for W., I know he did a lot of awful awful stuff, but I don’t believe he’s an awful person, which Trump is. He at least treated the presidency with the respect it deserves and not as a means to just line his and his family’s pockets and fuck everybody else.

The way so many people willingly slipped in to supporting an outright facist is incredibly worrying for America though, as the next one that the Republicans put up might not be such a fumbling belligerent obvious doofus.

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I thought Vice was great, and Cheney was apparently not happy at all with it and called Bale a dick, so you know he did a good job.

As for W., I know he did a lot of awful awful stuff, but I don’t believe he’s an awful person, which Trump is. He at least treated the presidency with the respect it deserves and not as a means to just line his and his family’s pockets and fuck everybody else.

The way so many people willingly slipped in to supporting an outright facist is incredibly worrying for America though, as the next one that the Republicans put up might not be such a fumbling belligerent obvious doofus.

A lot of people died or their lives were destroyed because of Bush's policies though...

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Out of upvotes but would echo all of this. 

In general I was really critical of the whole Bush-Blair era of politics at the time (and there were definitely some good reasons to be), but I am almost nostalgic for those days now. Wars aside obviously!

You know who I miss? Charlie Kennedy.

19 hours ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Remember the good old days when we though W was the worst that could happen to the world?  He's come out of this election very well with how he handed things over to Obama and then has been apolitical since he left office.  There's a lesson there for a certain someone.

George W Bush made a mess of the Middle East that it may never recover from. He was a disaster and just because he has shut his mouth since does not change that. His lasting legacy has been worse than Trump’s

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

George W Bush made a mess of the Middle East that it may never recover from. He was a disaster and just because he has shut his mouth since does not change that. His lasting legacy has been worse than Trump’s

Agreed, its honestly insane how much people are willing to ignore if somebody is  publicly a nice guy vs a dick.

Blair and Bush are war criminals and arch neoliberal baddies, end of. They should have been sharing a cell with slobodan milosevic but instead were also allowed to monetise their barbarity afterwards and in the case of blair still get airtime to give forth on any subject he feels and somehow being upheld as a paragon of virtue by the less perceptive amongst us. Astonishing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1