U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Not sure pissing off big donors is the answer if he wants to run in 2024. Or indeed stay president now...

Yeah, not sure of his gameplan here but it's fucking pathetic. Makes a big thing about how regulation is bad, and the free market of private healthcare will on its own will deliver competitive pricing for punters, and then this...?

20 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

Michigan state legislative leaders have refused to bow to pressure from trump and will follow the normal process to confirm the result in their state. With Georgia now certified,  trump cannot win as he needed 4 of the 5 swing states.

Bring on Monday and let’s see what happens but looks good. I just hope when all this is said and done there are some serious repercussions for those involved in this shit show. This needs to be stamped out now or else this will be the norm after every election. 

Edited by ShakeyCrash

Actual conversation I’ve just had

”We just want a free and fair election”

”So if they counted up all the votes, cross checked them, and proved that Biden won you’d then accept the result?”

”No”

”Why? It would mean Biden won fair and square”.

”Because Trump won this election. A Biden win doesn’t make sense and it can’t be true.”

Arguing with these people is extremely circular.

Whilst it’s easy to laugh and mock the incredible stupidity of trump there is a dangerous side to his crazy utterances. Many will be taken in by what he says and try and take to the streets, a scary thing to happen in a country awash with automatic weapons. The answer lies with the rest of the Republican Party, they really need to distance themselves from Trump and alienate him from their party. Biden needs to be able to get on with the job without all this shit coming from a sore loser. 

15 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Whilst it’s easy to laugh and mock the incredible stupidity of trump there is a dangerous side to his crazy utterances. Many will be taken in by what he says and try and take to the streets, a scary thing to happen in a country awash with automatic weapons. The answer lies with the rest of the Republican Party, they really need to distance themselves from Trump and alienate him from their party. Biden needs to be able to get on with the job without all this shit coming from a sore loser. 

But this is the thing. An awful lot of them are sat waiting thinking something is about to click into place. They might wait for years but an awful lot of them fully believe that trump has some kind of master plan which will come true soon.

I don’t know how the republicans undo all the work they’ve done over the past few years. Creating a narrative that Trump was the boy and the old Republican Party is dead. How do you effectively kill a party with one leader than then try and revive it again?

• Upvote 1

I know it sounds like I give the QAnon wing too much airtime, but what’s shocked me is how many of them there are.

The thing I find surprising too is a lot of republicans adopt a “well I’m not ruling it out” stance rather than rejecting it. I genuinely think we are underestimating how many people believe this shite.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I know it sounds like I give the QAnon wing too much airtime, but what’s shocked me is how many of them there are.

The thing I find surprising too is a lot of republicans adopt a “well I’m not ruling it out” stance rather than rejecting it. I genuinely think we are underestimating how many people believe this shite.

This is what really worries me these days, as so many people who you think are sane and rational are actually falling down the slippery rabbit hole and genuinely believe this stuff - it's spreading with such ease it's actually quite frightening!! :(

Edited by shoptildrop

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

100% agree, it’s scary how widespread these conspiracy theories have spread l. The Republicans know that they’ve lost the election but they’re maintaining this outright lie to try and keep some of Trump’s base within the party in the longer term. They don’t give a shit about democracy as long as they end up on top of the pile. 

14 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I genuinely think we are underestimating how many people believe this shite.

I reckon it's around the same as the UK moron-brexiters who think the UK can rule the world rather than operate on world rules - which is around 15%.

Others are quite happy to ride along with it, because it suits the outcomes they'd like to see. Again, like with the brexiters.

13 hours ago, Chawk said:

QAnon is popular because it's an exciting story. Just like religions- most of them are equally as batshit as QAnon- they spread and people believe in them because they're interesting.  the truth can be boring, at least on the face of it.

Yeah, it’s popular because it provides people with a simple good-v-bad explanation in difficult times. It makes the ignorant feel well informed and superior. The story is of course not original, but a rehash of a conspiracy theory that went big 90 years ago: https://www.justsecurity.org/72339/qanon-is-a-nazi-cult-rebranded/

The recent ‘Reply All’ podcast on how it grew and who’s behind it, mentioned on here recently, is well worth a listen.

Amazing how Q keeps getting things wrong but they all keep believing anyway.

I find it fascinating, the damage it’s doing to our shared reality, the free speech issues it raises.

• Upvote 1