U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This isn’t what we looked like when we wanted a second referendum, is it?

It's a sobering thought but I don't think anyone was actually claiming fraud in the referendum were they? It was more that it was very close and the options weren't very clearly defined (i.e. no deal/a deal etc). They should have set a threshold on the vote really considering it was so bloody important.

I think it would be more analogous to the Trump situation if Cameron had refused to recognise the result and made up allegations of voter fraud.

If Remainers had been calling for a re-run within a week of the referendum then they’d have had their credibility shot to pieces like the Donald has here. 

Remainers largely accepted the result of the referendum right through 2017 (including in the GE, where both main parties were backing leaving the EU). It wasn’t until late 2018/2019 when Brexiteers started voting down compromise deals and demanding a hard Brexit that a second referendum entered the mainstream conversation.

To this day I wish Labour would have backed Theresa May’s deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

This is my new favourite stupid Republican story to follow:

72C90D97-D998-4401-BAD5-EB8CD7A3774B.jpeg

I used to run the work Facebook account. From memory it would've been tricky to do so but I still had a few 'shit, which account did I post that from' moments

EmffEa6UcAAS7os.png.ca2d514774626f72ad0ce071b2bbb680.png

Anyway, turns out this was probably the account he meant to use. 

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Hey....I didn’t wear a baseball cap when I anonymously went on national news... 

:D 

26 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's a sobering thought but I don't think anyone was actually claiming fraud in the referendum were they? It was more that it was very close and the options weren't very clearly defined (i.e. no deal/a deal etc). They should have set a threshold on the vote really considering it was so bloody important.

I think it would be more analogous to the Trump situation if Cameron had refused to recognise the result and made up allegations of voter fraud.

18 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If Remainers had been calling for a re-run within a week of the referendum then they’d have had their credibility shot to pieces like the Donald has here. 

Remainers largely accepted the result of the referendum right through 2017 (including in the GE, where both main parties were backing leaving the EU). It wasn’t until late 2018/2019 when Brexiteers started voting down compromise deals and demanding a hard Brexit that a second referendum entered the mainstream conversation.

To this day I wish Labour would have backed Theresa May’s deal. 

Thanks. Obviously it was always more justified than the voter fraud shouts but I had been uneasy with taking too much joy out of the sour grapes of Republicans when we had a comparable situation on our hands. Good to remember that it wasn't immediate and was rational - feels like a million years ago now since even our last General Election.

32 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I used to run the work Facebook account. From memory it would've been tricky to do so but I still had a few 'shit, which account did I post that from' moments

EmffEa6UcAAS7os.png.ca2d514774626f72ad0ce071b2bbb680.png

Anyway, turns out this was probably the account he meant to use. 

I once retweeted a comedian as SecretGlasto when I thought I was logged in as myself.  Turns out he played the festival and wasn't on any rumour list at the time!

It's really, really easy to do on Twitter.

Just now, jump said:

Still not as good as Four Seasons. 

I'm hoping for a reality sitcom about the Republican party to come soon with the amount of gaffs they are doing.

Someone has done a dive and found loads of racist, sexist, etc tweets from the burner account too (he's now deleting - but seems a tad late now!).

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

:D 

Thanks. Obviously it was always more justified than the voter fraud shouts but I had been uneasy with taking too much joy out of the sour grapes of Republicans when we had a comparable situation on our hands. Good to remember that it wasn't immediate and was rational - feels like a million years ago now since even our last General Election.

Also, if it turns out Biden is shit and only got in by promising a bunch of lies, they can vote him out after 4 years. Don't have that option with Brexit.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

The coup seems to be moving along quite well

https://twitter.com/brhodes/status/1326289331347103744?s=24

As concerned as I was before the election result that Trump had some grand Machiavellian plan to usher in the new Gilead, since the results I've been less convinced. Unless toddler tantrum tweeting from the golf course is a cover for nefarious manoeuvrings.

It's true that these sackings are pretty coup-like though. 

How about this as an explanation: he was always going to sack Esper (widely suspected), which was then followed by one of the senior Pentagon dude's expressing his dismay to which Trump says that he's fired too and then another senior Pentagon dude says if you sack him then I'm resigning to which Trump says no you're not cause you're fired as well...etc...etc. 

I seem to remember a similar thing went down in the FBI after Comey got sacked if the Comey Rule programme was anything to go by (there was a rolling list at the end before the credits).

But fuck it, I'm trying to be rational, which is pretty stupid when predicting Trump!