U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

Trump's "fraud" allegation are so clearly bullshit it's hard not to completely laugh them off and ridicule them as the work of a complete charlatan. I do worry about the longer term effect on the American electorate at the end of this process though. We all know Biden is the next President, but he's going to be governing with a potentially significant proportion of the electorate believing the election was stolen and he is an illegitimate president. This is sowing the seeds for longer term unrest and  domestic terrorism in the U.S. 

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

It would make total sense for Republicans to be mad at Biden being called before the official count was finished... if that wasn’t how it was done every single year. Trump was perfectly happy to give a speech before he was officially called in ‘16 and it basically boils down to ‘but we didn’t win this time!’. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole rigmarole is largely a move to keep the base fired up until the Georgia runoffs happen and then it’s dropped pretty swiftly afterwards (probably by everybody expect Trump). I mean, they can’t possibly think this is gonna go anywhere, right?

IMO the purpose is to sow the seeds of doubt this was a legitimately won election by Biden and save face for Trump who doesn't like losing - it the birther Obama shit all over again!! 

Then with all these defence firings it looks like they are paving the way for a coup :( 

2 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

IMO the purpose is to sow the seeds of doubt this was a legitimately won election by Biden and save face for Trump who doesn't like losing - it the birther Obama shit all over again!! 

Then with all these defence firings it looks like they are paving the way for a coup :( 

There are certainly worrying signs over in the US, I have to have faith that they have the checks and balances in place to prevent any massive abuse of power though!

29 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

There are certainly worrying signs over in the US, I have to have faith that they have the checks and balances in place to prevent any massive abuse of power though!

I think what is astounding is how far gone society is that this is even possible right now. It’s not a case of saying let’s wait till all the votes are counted as republicans are saying.  You have a maniac shouting conspiracy theories from the whitehouse via Twitter and a news station going along with it. 70% of republicans think the election was rigged. That’s 50 million give or take. What i really want to know is why republicans are going along with it. Is it because they are scared (who knows what the fuck he’ll do), is it because they are opportunistic (undermine the opposition), is it that they believe this shit, or are they just managing trump knowing that this will come to nothing.  It’s a moment in time, and hopefully an insignificant one but i share the fear. 

• Upvote 1

Something hopeful from the Guardian (sorry can't find a way to post a link)

A new poll finds that 79% of Americans believe Joe Biden won the election, including about 60% of Republicans.

Even as Donald Trump and campaign seek to challenge the election results with long-shot lawsuits, 72% of US adults believe loser should concede, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll of 1,363 adults.

About 60% believe there ultimately will be a peaceful transition of power.

The survey also found that 83% of Democrats and 59% of Republicans trusted local election officials to “do their job honestly.”

7 hours ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Gap in Arizona has just gone slightly Biden’s way in the last 30 minutes. From 0.4% to 0.5%. Just need it to tick over to 99% votes counted at the same gap and we’ll be golden i think.

Maricopa County not called yet and that's the biggest left by far (x 10) and leans to Biden.

We got this...

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/gaslit-nation-with-andrea-chalupa-and-sarah-kendzior/id1400926647?i=1000498071636

Latest gaslit nation podcast has landed this morning. These guys are so well informed and, as says in the blurb, called all this ages ago:

”We have a winner, and it’s Joe Biden! And we have a coup, and it’s ongoing! We break down one of the most tumultuous weeks in US history, including Biden’s electoral college win and the nationwide celebrations that followed; the launch of the long-held plan of the Trump crime cult to stage a coup (which we warned about incessantly for four years only to be dismissed until it began to happen).”

9 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Where has nothing changed in Arizona for 24 hours? 

Would love to hear another win for Biden especially after Trump said they were going to win it.

Theyre almost done counting and theyre likely under 50,000 votes to count. Has to go red by over 60% which it wont. 

Georgia will go the way of recount but it wont matter at all.

Let’s head over to the voice disguised fake whistleblower on fox news. 

• Upvote 1