U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I hope so. Keep him out of trouble until the grown ups take over.

Michael Lewis's excellent book The 5th Risk covers the damage that Trump's negligence has caused many departments. During transition in 2016 the Trump team simply ignored huge parts of government meaning the never had the information to run them properly, I can't see them being more organised for the outgoing transition, meaning Biden's guys will be all at sea when they first take over. Even him doing nothing is damaging.

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Michael Lewis's excellent book The 5th Risk covers the damage that Trump's negligence has caused many departments. During transition in 2016 the Trump team simply ignored huge parts of government meaning the never had the information to run them properly, I can't see them being more organised for the outgoing transition, meaning Biden's guys will be all at sea when they first take over. Even him doing nothing is damaging.

Another good reason why Biden has been elected. He’s been there before serving as Obama’s vice president so already has a lot of experience with knowing how to run the country. 

It’s going to be tricky but at least the new administration know what they’re doing. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

20 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Good point. Just don't want him to do too much damage in the run-up.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

It feels like the weekend’s news has made some people who voted for ‘Britain Trump’ feel a little bit of shame and embarrassment?

My ward councillor (Labour in a Tory area) is quite active on our Facebook community page posting daily Covid figures etc and general local news.

He posted about Biden’s victory and Sir Rashford’s latest win this weekend and the abuse and criticism he got for ‘political point scoring’ was mad.

I think a lot of Boris boys are starting to realise what an outlier the UK will be once Joe is inaugurated...

Fascinated to see what Trump will do this week!

I do hope so. The right wing plan is to spread this bullshit globally. Which is why NZ rejecting Arron Banks so overwhelmingly and giving Ardern a majority was so encouraging. Hopefully this a much bigger step in the 'right' direction.

It’s going to be fascinating to see what, if any, damage all this does to the Republicans. They look downright pathetic. Will it actually turn anyone off? I can imagine some of the more rational swing voters who went red are feeling a bit daft now.

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Most of them (the lawyers, his cheerleaders/hangers on etc) know this all bullshit, right? They aren't stupid. They've seen the "evidence".  Why are they doing it? Part of the plan to keep people riled up for 2024? Fundraising? Shits and giggles? To keep the big orange twat distracted?

I think they have such a low opinion of their voters, they know they’ll buy the bullshit and it will strengthen their support. They think Americans are stupid and they can con them easily. 

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think they have such a low opinion of their voters, they know they’ll buy the bullshit and it will strengthen their support. They think Americans are stupid and they can con them easily. 

Famous quote by George Carlin when talking about Americans:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yes the republicans run their party on the basis that their voters don’t challenge or critically think anything they say.

21 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Famous quote by George Carlin when talking about Americans:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

That reminds me of George W Bush complaining of the sad state of affairs when he found out that nearly half of Americans had below average intelligence.

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s basically brainwashing. Worship the flag and do everything the government tells you to do. 

How they do it is they tap into the perpetual fear that your way of life is at stake. The “deep state” is coming for your religion, your freedom, and your money.

46 minutes ago, jparx said:

Not much different here, unfortunately!

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

How they do it is they tap into the perpetual fear that your way of life is at stake. The “deep state” is coming for your religion, your freedom, and your money.

The perception of freedom in America is massively disproportionate when compared to the actual freedom they have. 

If you look at the world freedom index the US doesn’t even make it into the top 50. The table is dominated by Scandinavian countries. They know what they’re doing when it comes to working for the people. 

In the UK we’re not doing that much better but at least we’re beating France 😁

On 11/8/2020 at 9:24 AM, Suprefan said:

And to think nobody thought Biden could flip Georgia, so tell me again what isnt winnable here. We Need both and then Mcconnel is not a factor anymore in the senate which is enough of a motivating thought for everyone to put all their energy i to both candidates equally to get em over the top. I doubt Stacey Abrams took a break except to party today and get back to making sure both seats are blue in January. The gop is in such a state of shock that they might not be able to motivate voters and set them up for another disappointment in 2 months. 

These races will be really interesting. They shouldn't both be winnable but what are all those angry Trump voters do, who will have by then had two months of him shouting about how elections are rigged and, ergo, there's no real point in voting?

23 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Thank you, dunno why that has rocked the boat so much, guess everyone is just high on the victory right now. I'm very happy Trump is out but wait until some of you read Biden's voting record 😬

What on earth has that got to do with me asking how Biden can be bothered taking on the most important job in the world at the age of 78?

I think it's a legit concern, but equally Trump did, and I'd say he looks to have fewer years left in him than Biden, despite being younger.

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Most of them (the lawyers, his cheerleaders/hangers on etc) know this all bullshit, right? They aren't stupid. They've seen the "evidence".  Why are they doing it? Part of the plan to keep people riled up for 2024? Fundraising? Shits and giggles? To keep the big orange twat distracted?

I wonder if it's just momentum. This was always the plan - contest the results in tight races. I think they probably underestimated just how many states Biden would win by and how big the margins would be. This strategy would be a whole lot better/scarier if it really had all come down to Georgia.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

It’s going to be fascinating to see what, if any, damage all this does to the Republicans. They look downright pathetic. Will it actually turn anyone off? I can imagine some of the more rational swing voters who went red are feeling a bit daft now.

2024 will be interesting. Trump still got 70 million votes. 

Will the republicans get a landslide with someone vaguely competent and not as mendacious at the top of the ticket?

Or is Trump a uniquely popular politican that taps into something no one else can and now the republicans are condemned to opposition for a generation without him?