U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Don’t get me wrong I hope Trump loses and it’s interesting to follow. But getting seriously emotionally invested is weird.

It will impact globally (and effect us here in the UK), but also it's not like I stop caring about people because they live in another country- a lot of people will die from Trumps covid policy, a lot of people will suffer due to the bigotry he emboldens- why would I not be emotionally invested in the outcome?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Don’t get me wrong I hope Trump loses and it’s interesting to follow. But getting seriously emotionally invested is weird.

I'm not seriously emotionally invested in it but am kind of following it rather closely and it has caused a spike in tonight's alcohol consumption :D  

As a Ciderset dweller (used that rather than any dodgy national label) the result of this Seppo (oh no, I've done it now) election is likely to have some knock on effects to the whole Brexit deal thing.

(To clarify, hate Brexit and Trump is a 'kin wrong 'un)

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

It will impact globally (and effect us here in the UK), but also it's not like I stop caring about people because they live in another country- a lot of people will die from Trumps covid policy, a lot of people will suffer due to the bigotry he emboldens- why would I not be emotionally invested in the outcome?

Do you get emotionally invested in every country’s election then? 

8 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Well, it's not really. It has huge ramifications on our own country, trade, our political climate, as well as wider reaching issues like climate change, LGBTQI+ rights, human rights, arts and culture. These things don't exist in a vacuum.

Exactly. I don’t think it’s weird at all, some people will get hugely invested and will worry about it. Also who are we to say that one persons worry is weird it’s all relative to that person. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

He’s just trying to get people riled up.

Brexit and Trump have ran in parallel...and both are coming to a sad end...except in reality both won't really end (especially brexit).

But, hopefully, as we go into the next decade, our leaders can be a bit more grown up and realise that we really need to work together instead of constantly trying to divide nations for political gain.

As a voter today I feel pretty good about what lies ahead over the next 12 hours although it will take a long night of alcohol to soothe my nerves. I do worry about signs that Pennsylvania seems to be more of a toss-up than the Biden win it seemed a few weeks ago. The Pittsburgh Gazette just endorsed Trump last night which is scandalous as it hasn't done that for a Republican candidate since 1972. That will justify many in western Pennsylvania to come of the fence and not be 'embarrassed' to vote Trump. That fucking newspaper is making it seem 'respectable' to do it.

Thing is, a Biden win needs to be a landslide not a 'close win'. It's just embarrassing if it's seen as "oh, he barely lost"...I'm hoping places like Georgia, Arizona can come through for the good guys, but more importantly these other races on the night for parts of our Senate here are important in places like Maine, North Carolina, Arizona and a few others. Particularly sadly, it looked until quite recently that we might oust two of the people that epitomize what a lot of us hate about America, Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham, but they now look like they will safely hold on, which puts a bit of a damper on things knowing they'll be around. 

Thing is though, this country is fucked for years...what he's done is built this cult of pick-up driving, flag-waving, gun-toting militia types who will be showing up for Trump rallies over the next few years (I mean, what else is Trump going to do but continue with these rallies, it's what he gets off on). Even in NYC this past Sunday as I was driving in a pouring rainstorm, a Trump caravan had shut down opposite side of a major bridge here connecting Queens to the Bronx. Traffic for a few miles behind as a result, just idiots out of their trucks waving Trump/Pence flags. In hindsight my rolling window down of my car and sticking middle finger out at them was quite a dangerous act as I could likely have been shot by any of these angry fucks. They think they're going to win, they expect to win, and they'll be convinced that if they don't win, that they were 'cheated'. Too many 'sources' are telling them that. So many stupid people in this country (I must say though, Britain is slowly become that way too, ignorance growing there too, and I say that as a US/Brit dual citizen) and many will remain stupid and angry. The more stupid and angriest are the ones who buy most of the guns and ammunition as well. It's going to be scary in the aftermath and Trump will be encouraging it. 

But...we're winning this thing tonight! 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

As a voter today I feel pretty good about what lies ahead over the next 12 hours although it will take a long night of alcohol to soothe my nerves. I do worry about signs that Pennsylvania seems to be more of a toss-up than the Biden win it seemed a few weeks ago. The Pittsburgh Gazette just endorsed Trump last night which is scandalous as it hasn't done that for a Republican candidate since 1972. That will justify many in western Pennsylvania to come of the fence and not be 'embarrassed' to vote Trump. That fucking newspaper is making it seem 'respectable' to do it.

Thing is, a Biden win needs to be a landslide not a 'close win'. It's just embarrassing if it's seen as "oh, he barely lost"...I'm hoping places like Georgia, Arizona can come through for the good guys, but more importantly these other races on the night for parts of our Senate here are important in places like Maine, North Carolina, Arizona and a few others. Particularly sadly, it looked until quite recently that we might oust two of the people that epitomize what a lot of us hate about America, Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham, but they now look like they will safely hold on, which puts a bit of a damper on things knowing they'll be around. 

Thing is though, this country is fucked for years...what he's done is built this cult of pick-up driving, flag-waving, gun-toting militia types who will be showing up for Trump rallies over the next few years (I mean, what else is Trump going to do but continue with these rallies, it's what he gets off on). Even in NYC this past Sunday as I was driving in a pouring rainstorm, a Trump caravan had shut down opposite side of a major bridge here connecting Queens to the Bronx. Traffic for a few miles behind as a result, just idiots out of their trucks waving Trump/Pence flags. In hindsight my rolling window down of my car and sticking middle finger out at them was quite a dangerous act as I could likely have been shot by any of these angry fucks. They think they're going to win, they expect to win, and they'll be convinced that if they don't win, that they were 'cheated'. Too many 'sources' are telling them that. So many stupid people in this country (I must say though, Britain is slowly become that way too, ignorance growing there too, and I say that as a US/Brit dual citizen) and many will remain stupid and angry. The more stupid and angriest are the ones who buy most of the guns and ammunition as well. It's going to be scary in the aftermath and Trump will be encouraging it. 

But...we're winning this thing tonight! 

fingers crossed for you...

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

So...when 🙏 Trump loses how do you think he'll take it and what do you think he'll say?

If it's a big loss I actually think he might be gracious in defeat. If it's tight...who knows. He's probably got a career in tv afterwards anyway, carry on his bollocks. He'll blame the china virus I expect. 

Saw someone on twitter suggesting Trump will step down & let Pence take over til Jan so Pence can pardon Trump before Biden comes in.

Why don't Americans ever go for the other parties? I mean even if they don't win, surely if they get enough of the vote, then in the next election hopefully more people will be confident in voting for other parties, and so on and so forth until hopefully a party that isn't Dem or Rep wins.

I just fucking hate both of them tbh. Even if Biden wins I wont see it as something to celebrate. Yeah sure "at least its not Trump" but it sends me west that people think the Democrats are "good"

I just want Bernie for President and AOC for VP :(

Edited by Gilgamesh69

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Why don't Americans ever go for the other parties? I mean even if they don't win, surely if they get enough of the vote, then the next election hopefully more people will confident in voting for other parties, and so on and so forth until hopefully a party that isn't Dem or Rep wins.

I just fucking hate both of them tbh. Even if Biden wins I wont see it as something to celebrate. Yeah sure "at least its not Trump" but it sends me west that people think the Democrats are "good"

I don’t think anyone here is really thinking the democrats are awesome. They’re just a million times better than the alternative.

And yeah Bernie and AOC would be amazing, but that’s not the world we live in. We’re a million miles from that. Tonight will hopefully be a huge step in the right direction though, and that’s why I’ll celebrate it.

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Why don't Americans ever go for the other parties? I mean even if they don't win, surely if they get enough of the vote, then the next election hopefully more people will confident in voting for other parties, and so on and so forth until hopefully a party that isn't Dem or Rep wins.

it's just too hard for a 3rd party to make any inroads there...they would need to change the electoral system. Also...to compete with advertising and campaigning you need megabucks. My brother lives there and is a big Sanders fan...but has reluctantly voted for Biden, lesser of two evils and all that. 

The democrats could have gone for Sanders...but there are loads of Americans scared that Biden is too left wing, so not sure he would have stood a chance.

5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Why don't Americans ever go for the other parties? I mean even if they don't win, surely if they get enough of the vote, then in the next election hopefully more people will be confident in voting for other parties, and so on and so forth until hopefully a party that isn't Dem or Rep wins.

Because this'll split the Dem vote, right wingers are quite happy with the c*nt they've got, so the 'greater evil' will stay in power. 2016 republicans didn't get a massive surge, it's that people didn't turn up to vote democrat.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don’t think anyone here is really thinking the democrats are awesome. They’re just a million times better than the alternative.

And yeah Bernie and AOC would be amazing, but that’s not the world we live in. We’re a million miles from that. Tonight will hopefully be a huge step in the right direction though, and that’s why I’ll celebrate it.

I just worry that if Biden wins, people will see it as "enough" and then the majority apart from the radicals will give up fighting for change. Honestly I think their system needs a lot of change, and a lot of guillotine

Edited by Gilgamesh69
  • Downvote 1