U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I have some more.

There could be an explanation that Biden supporters don’t want to attend rallies, but there is something weird that wherever trump goes there are crowds of thousands, and when Biden holds rallies or events the attendance is pretty low.

The polls would suggest that Biden would be getting the crowds, not Trump. It feels like Trump’s movement is more vocal. Maybe it’s just noise? Who knows?

Trump has told his supporters that masks, social distancing, and COVID as a whole is all an anti-Trump movement and large parts of his base are people who believe conspiracy theories and are anti-science, hence why they’re flocking to his rallies in droves - because he’s told them it’s fine to do so and not doing so is anti-him.

Biden has given off no such false impressions and his supporters are well aware that packing in to crowds right now to massage the ego of their presidential candidate is stupid and unsafe.

If COVID weren’t a thing, Bidens support and rallies would be MASSIVE, if only because of saying goodbye to Trump rather than being huge Biden fans.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Is it possible for a former president to ever come back as someone else's VP nominee?

Not unless they've only served one term, because the VP needs to be able to step in if the president is incapacitated, but a two termer cannot be president again. So no VP Obama if that's what you mean - but there technically could be a VP Trump - if he wasn't in jail!

It's always my favourite night/early morning, but I've got work events tomorrow so I'm not sure how long to stay up. Might just power through and worry about the tiredness tomorrow!

All the signs point towards a Biden victory, but I don't want to believe it until I see the results in front of me. Flashbacks of that horrendous feeling in 2019 when the exit polls came in predicting the thumping Tory majority. Horrendous. 

1 minute ago, Zacko said:

It's always my favourite night/early morning, but I've got work events tomorrow so I'm not sure how long to stay up. Might just power through and worry about the tiredness tomorrow!

All the signs point towards a Biden victory, but I don't want to believe it until I see the results in front of me. Flashbacks of that horrendous feeling in 2019 when the exit polls came in predicting the thumping Tory majority. Horrendous. 

The difference being is that in 2019 the polls showed the Tories ahead all the way through. So if anything that backs up a Biden win. 

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The difference being is that in 2019 the polls showed the Tories ahead all the way through. So if anything that backs up a Biden win. 

Oh yeah for sure, but it's just that awful feeling in your stomach isn't it? Even if you know what's about to happen, it never gets better. 

2008 was a worldie though. 

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Trump has told his supporters that masks, social distancing, and COVID as a whole is all an anti-Trump movement and large parts of his base are people who believe conspiracy theories and are anti-science, hence why they’re flocking to his rallies in droves - because he’s told them it’s fine to do so and not doing so is anti-him.

Biden has given off no such false impressions and his supporters are well aware that packing in to crowds right now to massage the ego of their presidential candidate is stupid and unsafe.

If COVID weren’t a thing, Bidens support and rallies would be MASSIVE, if only because of saying goodbye to Trump rather than being huge Biden fans.

You keep getting my upvotes today!

Anybody else slightly concerned for Biden’s safety if he wins?
Let’s hope he has the best security available, and all sensible protection measures are taken as I think he’s really going to need to them when the loony Trump fanatics are baying for blood, especially when Trump himself will probably actively encourage unrest. 

7 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Oh yeah for sure, but it's just that awful feeling in your stomach isn't it? Even if you know what's about to happen, it never gets better. 

2008 was a worldie though. 

The nerves I had in the buildup to the exit poll last December were like no other. Then crushing disappointment lol.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Let’s hope he has the best security available, and all sensible protection measures are taken as I think he’s really going to need to them when the loony Trump fanatics are baying for blood, especially when Trump himself will probably actively encourage unrest. 

There’s likely to be unrest everywhere. Imagine supposedly being a civilised country but you’re expecting riots after an election. You can understand that happening in a developing country but the US should really have moved on from that by now. Sadly not though. 

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not unless they've only served one term, because the VP needs to be able to step in if the president is incapacitated, but a two termer cannot be president again. So no VP Obama if that's what you mean - but there technically could be a VP Trump - if he wasn't in jail!

I was thinking about Trump coming back in 4 years

22 minutes ago, st dan said:

Not hugely. Because Harris is clearly far to the left of Biden. If anything happens to Biden, it gets far worse for the right wing Trumpers.

(Similar stuff was floated about Trump’s safety when he got in, but at the time no one new what his politics would actually be and there was some hope - he’d previously been on record as being pro-abortion and having some fairly liberal views - whereas Pence’s were appalling.