Glasto 21 DEFFO ON says lawyer

blutarsky

On 11/3/2020 at 7:03 AM, eFestivals said:

nor do I, but then again I don't know how they schedule what needs to be done.

I presume they've picked January for updates for very good reasons.

Someone I know had a village ticket for this year and contacted the festival to see if it was being rolled over or needed to reapply, and they said updates in January as well. So January does seem important - it might just be a 'review date' though I guess. The news today won't hurt.

8 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Someone I know had a village ticket for this year and contacted the festival to see if it was being rolled over or needed to reapply, and they said updates in January as well. So January does seem important - it might just be a 'review date' though I guess. The news today won't hurt.

The news today was that these vaccines might prevent future waves but we need to get through this wave without it. 

Indications are that with lockdown and restrictions this wave might last until spring next year.

So if by January they can see that, this wave is on the way to being controlled, talk is about lifting restrictions, and people are being vaccinated leading to less NHS pressure.

I reckon they will feel confident in at least beginning the planning and commissioning services before having to make another decision in March/April about the build

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I reckon they will feel confident in at least beginning the planning and commissioning services before having to make another decision in March/April about the build

From what I've heard the go/no go decision has to be made in January.

GFL can't leave it until March/April as big infrastructure contracts, band bookings etc etc have to be finalised much earlier than that. 

22 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

GFL can't leave it until March/April as big infrastructure contracts, band bookings etc etc have to be finalised much earlier than that. 

I know its just a personal thing ... but are you anymore confident after today ? 

Confidence has to sky rocket now. 2 months out from the likely decision time, and the vaccine rollout could be under way by then. There’s going to be a huge clamour from the industry, and many others, to crack on ASAP. My vote is it goes ahead, perhaps pushed back a bit if June seems a fraction too early. But either way I feel very confident there’s a Glastonbury 2021.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I know its just a personal thing ... but are you anymore confident after today ? 

Obviously today's news about the vaccine is fantastic but I'm not sure that it is going to be widely available quickly enough to make organisers of early summer events confident enough to make the call in the timeframe available to them.

That's just my opinion based on nowt official I must say.

BTW, apologies for length of first sentence in post !

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Might have phrased that badly.

They'll make a decision in January to go ahead or not with all the usual logistics, I think others like you have said that's pretty clear.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also build in a second decision point before most contractors start getting on to the site. Less of a go/no go but more like an abort before balance day.

Like when a plane takes off, you commit to the take off but there's a point along the runway at which you could still pull out safely.

In this case it would be cancelling with less financial impact.

4 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

As optimistic as I am I actually heard today that vendors had been stood down for two years and that music industry people weren’t thinking any festivals would go ahead next year. Not sure how much truth there was in any of that but just what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️

heard from where?

It just might be out of their hands.

If the council are jittery about granting the licence and them not wanting possible aggro or repercussions then Glasto won’t  happen in 2021.

Another point on the optimism front is the lawyer made those comments just a couple weeks ago, and now we’re on the verge of a vaccine. If they were that confident of it around the end of October, this must put confidence through the roof.

1 hour ago, ivan said:

It just might be out of their hands.

If the council are jittery about granting the licence and them not wanting possible aggro or repercussions then Glasto won’t  happen in 2021.

The licence is already granted for the next several years.

The Local Authority do have some extra powers regarding suspending licences for events during the pandemic, but those powers expire in January 2021. If a vaccine rollout is underway by then, it's hard to see them being extended all the way to June.

4 hours ago, ModernMan said:

As optimistic as I am I actually heard today that vendors had been stood down for two years and that music industry people weren’t thinking any festivals would go ahead next year. Not sure how much truth there was in any of that but just what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t buy into this at all. I’m not saying Glastonbury 2021 is definitely happening, because no-one knows at this stage, but given that:

• Ben Challis (GF lawyer since 1993) says it’s happening 
  • Professor Sir John Bell, a prominent immunologist, stated on Radio 4 yesterday that he thought there’d be a very good chance life might be getting back to normal by Spring 2021
  • Other high profile festivals are seemingly going ahead as planned.

I think we’ve got a good chance of it happening. Clearly we’ve got a good way to go yet, and it’s going to be a hard winter, but it could be worth it.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

I think we’ve got a good chance of it happening.

They'll at least be planning for it to happen (and for it not to). No way they've decided to pull the plug just yet.

I wonder if the vendor thing is that they've delayed vendor applications until after January this year? 

I could have sworn it's usually this side of Christmas?

12 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Obviously today's news about the vaccine is fantastic but I'm not sure that it is going to be widely available quickly enough to make organisers of early summer events confident enough to make the call in the timeframe available to them.

That's just my opinion based on nowt official I must say.

BTW, apologies for length of first sentence in post !

as soon as a vaccine is approved the govt should have firm delivery dates for batches of vaccines - so in theory could announce at the end of December when covid restrictions will come to an end.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's what's going to happen. I think the govt will prefer to see the real-world effect of the vaccine before they'll commit to anything - which probably won't be until March at earliest. :( 

I don't think yesterday's news changes anything unfortunately. The vaccine announcement was fantastic, and it means there is hopefully now light at the end of the tunnel for us all, but it's really early days. 

If the decision was to be made in January then the only way I can see it being positive is if, in Europe, we've returned to some semblance of normality (like June). If we are in a place where restrictions have been lifted and a vaccine is ready to be rolled out ahead of a future wave the it might be a possibility (albeit remote). However considering most of us are sitting here in mid-November, unable to go to pubs and clubs never mind gigs, with no agreed date when that will change, the idea of huge festivals by June/July seems bonkers.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

as soon as a vaccine is approved the govt should have firm delivery dates for batches of vaccines - so in theory could announce at the end of December when covid restrictions will come to an end.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's what's going to happen. I think the govt will prefer to see the real-world effect of the vaccine before they'll commit to anything - which probably won't be until March at earliest. :( 

I think if scientists advising the govt that things will be normal by spring, then this govt will be a lot more likely to open up sooner rather than later.

I expect if the vaccine roll out goes ok, social distancing will be gone by April

Just now, zahidf said:

I think if scientists advising the govt that things will be normal by spring, then this govt will be a lot more likely to open up sooner rather than later.

I expect if the vaccine roll out goes ok, social distancing will be gone by April

That’s how I see it. You aren’t going to see much in the way of caution when they have a sniff of economic normality.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I agree. I also think compliance and public pressure will get too much.

I know this is a bit of a 180 and I’m someone who has protested against this view, but if people who are considered vulnerable are getting vaccinated and me, a young, healthy person at low risk is still being told to stay at home I’m going to be a bit mad.

I think it will hit a point where the young and the healthy will be encouraged to go back into society and the vulnerable waiting for a vaccine still to self isolate etc.

• Upvote 1

Just now, zahidf said:

Surely THIS government will have all eyes on Cheltenham in March but on the other hand, they’ve said there is no timescale for getting people back into sports events.

Hancock was saying the idea is to have people working seven days a week (including the armed forces) to get the vaccine into people’s arms. He also specifically mentioned bank holidays - surely Easter and May would be the ones they’re working to? Very close to Glastonbury...