Glasto 21 DEFFO ON says lawyer

blutarsky

46 minutes ago, The Nal said:

After this lockdown they've about 80 days before they need to start work on the site to welcome 250,000 non socially distancing people from all over the world. 

Plenty of time. 

More like 110-120 days (counting from Dec 2nd).

And then another 20-30ish on top of that before external contractors start to arrive, the early prep work is done by the farm hands who are there regardless.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think we’re getting close to needing a miracle for it to happen next year.

It's a really difficult one.

I'm still fairly confident that festivals will be able to happen without social distancing in the summer.

What's more difficult to judge is how soon in the summer, and how soon the govt might announce that they're able to start from whatever date it is.

The govt are going to need to give around 4 months advance notice to Glastonbury that festivals can restart - which I think it probably going to be unlikely, as that would be too soon within a vaccine roll-out to know how successful the vaccine is at suppressing covid.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think we’re getting close to needing a miracle for it to happen next year.

Yeah I’m thinking the same.

Starting to have thoughts that the first half of 2021 may be very similar to 2020.

Really hope I’m wrong. 

They usually start calling around and getting staff to commit in January so they'll need to know then really if it can go ahead. Can't be telling hundreds of other people to block out diaries and pass up on other work to work for Glasto if they don't know if its even going to be on.

So, what are the chances of them knowing its on for sure in Jan/Feb?  8 or 9 weeks away.

I don't think my thoughts on the matter have really changed with the new lockdown. I was very negative on it before the news broke last week, which boosted my positivity quite a bit. I don't think the current state of affairs really changes the equation too much for the festival - this was always going to happen (cases rising and lockdowns back). The comments were made literally last Tuesday...it wasn't like the picture was rosy and everything has gone to hell in the last week. 

What matters is the state of play around February, by which point a vaccine could have begun its rollout. I'd still put the likelihood at less than 50%, but that hasn't changed since Tuesday.

27 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't think my thoughts on the matter have really changed with the new lockdown. I was very negative on it before the news broke last week, which boosted my positivity quite a bit. I don't think the current state of affairs really changes the equation too much for the festival - this was always going to happen (cases rising and lockdowns back). The comments were made literally last Tuesday...it wasn't like the picture was rosy and everything has gone to hell in the last week. 

What matters is the state of play around February, by which point a vaccine could have begun its rollout. I'd still put the likelihood at less than 50%, but that hasn't changed since Tuesday.

I personally don't believe the amount of virus circulating will be reduced significantly by March 😣

8 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I personally don't believe the amount of virus circulating will be reduced significantly by March 😣

that's not the most important factor tho, as the most important factor is hospital demand - which could be noticeably reduced by March as the oldies get vaccinated.

Probably still too late tho, as restrictions will probably be lessened cautiously.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

why not just decide now :) .... 

because things could change fast with a vaccine.

I personally don't think now things will change fast enough in the early part of the year for Glastonbury to be confident in proceeding, but at the same time it's worth holding back from cancelling as long as possible just in case they do change fast enough.

Vaccine trials due to be unbinded in the next month or so. Once that happens, it can be seen what the effectiveness rate is and the way forward for vaccination. 

Im of the opinion that politicians will ignore scientists who want restrictions post vaccine being deployed. If all over 50's have a strong vaccine available by April, the deaths will be low enough for the under 50s for them to tell people to risk it

Edited by zahidf

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

because they don’t need to cancel now.

sorry I was being tongue in cheek ... of course they dont need to cancel now .... or I would say before the cancellation date for last year .... vaccine effectiveness and rollout will be important for what happens....

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Im of the opinion that politicians will ignore scientists who want restrictions post vaccine being deployed. If all over 50's have a strong vaccine available by April, the deaths will be low enough for the under 50s for them to tell people to risk it

so am I.

I just don't think it'll get to that point soon enough for Glastonbury, which probably needs to cancel earlier than the end of March if it can't be sure of going ahead.

35 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's not the most important factor tho, as the most important factor is hospital demand - which could be noticeably reduced by March as the oldies get vaccinated.

Probably still too late tho, as restrictions will probably be lessened cautiously.

Most oldies are doing very well in avoiding infection by being sensible. Hospital bed demand seeing upsurge driven in younger population. 

Edited by Lycra

16 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Out of interest would there ever be an advantage in Glastonbury going bankrupt? 

Could that allow them to protect the farm, put it all into deep hibernation until they could start it again with a new company in 2023?

I wouldnt have thought that would be a good thing

I also think they will be ok if its postponed one more year 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

so am I.

I just don't think it'll get to that point soon enough for Glastonbury, which probably needs to cancel earlier than the end of March if it can't be sure of going ahead.

Let's hope Dr Mike Yeadon is correct.... he could save the festival season if he is :D haha 🤞

I see no reason to decide sooner than March. I know we're all back into some variation of lockdown, and it's hard to see anything getting back to normal, but that's 5 months away and by then the situation will hopefully look somewhat more positive. I'm genuinely more optimistic that it'll go ahead than I have been for months.