Downvotes

Ozanne

There seems to be a handful of accounts where their sole activity is downvoting a select few of the forums, with no other posting activity or anything. This doesn't seem very fair as they aren't engaging in any conversation or discussion. Would it be possible to amend the downvote feature where you have to at least post a certain amount of times in the day before you can use that feature or take that feature away from accounts that don't do anything else?

It's pretty annoying and seems to be used just to troll people on a daily basis. 

It is annoying and pointless. If their aim is to reduce someone’s reputation then it’s actually having the opposite effect as most of their downvotes get reversed by other kind forum users. 

An ideal solution would be to only be able to react to posts if you have a positive reputation. I’m not sure if the forum software will allow that as a feature. 

What I think is possible with the software is only letting gold members downvote. They are in a different user group so can be given different permissions. If someone wants to contribute to the site upkeep just so they can downvote people needlessly then fair play to them.

I also wonder if neutral reactions can also be added. A way of showing that you disagree with someone without trying to change their reputation. Engaging in conversation would be better though.  

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It is annoying and pointless. If their aim is to reduce someone’s reputation then it’s actually having the opposite effect as most of their downvotes get reversed by other kind forum users. 

An ideal solution would be to only be able to react to posts if you have a positive reputation. I’m not sure if the forum software will allow that as a feature. 

What I think is possible with the software is only letting gold members downvote. They are in a different user group so can be given different permissions. If someone wants to contribute to the site upkeep just so they can downvote people needlessly then fair play to them.

I also wonder if neutral reactions can also be added. A way of showing that you disagree with someone without trying to change their reputation. Engaging in conversation would be better though.  

All good suggestions :) .

Agree with the above, as I've said before downvotes should only be used when you are really offended or violently disagree with a post, since most posts are made in good faith and represent a valid opinion there really shouldn't be any reason to use them very often, I would have a one downvote per day limit if it was up to me.

14 hours ago, Ozanne said:

There seems to be a handful of accounts where their sole activity is downvoting a select few of the forums, with no other posting activity or anything. This doesn't seem very fair as they aren't engaging in any conversation or discussion. Would it be possible to amend the downvote feature where you have to at least post a certain amount of times in the day before you can use that feature or take that feature away from accounts that don't do anything else?

It's pretty annoying and seems to be used just to troll people on a daily basis. 

As you know, I've looked into this a fair bit. There's no way within the forums software to restrict up & down votes from members.

And anyway, I don't think it right or fair to remove members rights to have an opinion on a post whether they choose to post or not.

There's always going to be some who disagree with an opinion. Not all of the down voters who've been complained about are non-posters, and at least one of those has had a post of theirs downvoted by someone who has complained about downvoting.

I realise there's a very small number of members who seem to exist for downvoting from where you're sat, although from looking more deeply at account use I don't believe it's that. I'm of course happy to look at any account if it's flagged up to me (best done privately).

Ultimately the standard internet rule applies, of don't feed the trolls. 

Because public complaints like these are likely to encourage any bad actors, as they know they're getting a rise out of a target.

55 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

As you know, I've looked into this a fair bit. There's no way within the forums software to restrict up & down votes from members.

And anyway, I don't think it right or fair to remove members rights to have an opinion on a post whether they choose to post or not.

There's always going to be some who disagree with an opinion. Not all of the down voters who've been complained about are non-posters, and at least one of those has had a post of theirs downvoted by someone who has complained about downvoting.

I realise there's a very small number of members who seem to exist for downvoting from where you're sat, although from looking more deeply at account use I don't believe it's that. I'm of course happy to look at any account if it's flagged up to me (best done privately).

Ultimately the standard internet rule applies, of don't feed the trolls. 

Because public complaints like these are likely to encourage any bad actors, as they know they're getting a rise out of a target.

Thanks for your response and also thanks for all the help you’ve given with certain troll accounts on here please don’t think this thread shows I’m not appreciative.

I understand where you are coming from and if the software doesn’t allow it then fair enough. I think the main issue is just those few accounts that we feel just downvote but if nothing can be done then no worries. Thanks again.