What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Catch-22 for the first time. Was a slog to begin with, albeit quite funny and then really picked up in the end. I feel like the slog at the start was the point though, really hammered home the madness of bureaucracy.

Wanted a lighter read after that so picked up my first Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites. Whizzed through that, lovely book and I loved the whimsical descriptions. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Haan said:

Finished Catch-22 for the first time. Was a slog to begin with, albeit quite funny and then really picked up in the end. I feel like the slog at the start was the point though, really hammered home the madness of bureaucracy.

Wanted a lighter read after that so picked up my first Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites. Whizzed through that, lovely book and I loved the whimsical descriptions. 

I did something similar recently and read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. It was very good but hefty and as I started it in the run up to ticket resale day and I was struggling to concentrate on anything other than whether I would get Glastonbury tickets but I persevered and enjoyed it in the end. I then went with Skin (from Skunk Anansie fame's) biography and that was very interesting. Didn't know a lot about her to be honest but it was an interesting read. 

I'm currently reading The Ladies' Delight by Emile Zola. I had originally got it to read on holiday in Paris, where it's set, last month but ended up not really having the time. It's well out of my comfort zone but I'm enjoying it a lot. So much more racy than literature published in Britain in the late 1800s, and the cynical view of consumerism is matched only by the rich descriptions of the goods on offer.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 11:06 AM, MaxPower said:

Just finished Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner, the lead singer of Japanese Breakfast. 

Absolutely brilliant, couldn’t recommend it enough.

Thanks for this recommendation. I finsihed it recently and it was really good. A love story to her Mum via the medium of Korean food. Made me hungry and eager to try some Korean food. 

I've also just finished Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain and this was another 5 star book for me. 

It should honestly be something we are thought about at school how people all have different brain chemistry and the impact the world we live in can have on us. Honestly reading it I had so many light bulb moments and I will be thinking about it for months to come. 

I've always thought that I was an ambivert but I might be a high sensitivity extrovert. It honestly astounds me how little we know about the human brain and how much we still have to learn.  

@gigpusher I think it was you who first recommended the Good Girl's Guide to Murder series to me? I have to know - have you read the final instalment? I finished it this weekend and I have THOUGHTS.

Still, again very happy that it seems to have maybe possibly pushed me out of my reading funk again. Downloaded a number of new titles to my tablet last week that I'm looking forward to getting into in the next month.

1 minute ago, WestCountryGirl said:

@gigpusher I think it was you who first recommended the Good Girl's Guide to Murder series to me? I have to know - have you read the final instalment? I finished it this weekend and I have THOUGHTS.

Still, again very happy that it seems to have maybe possibly pushed me out of my reading funk again. Downloaded a number of new titles to my tablet last week that I'm looking forward to getting into in the next month.

Yes it as me and yes i have read it. I had thoughts as well about the last one! 

On 4/12/2022 at 10:12 AM, gigpusher said:

I did something similar recently and read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. It was very good but hefty and as I started it in the run up to ticket resale day and I was struggling to concentrate on anything other than whether I would get Glastonbury tickets but I persevered and enjoyed it in the end. I then went with Skin (from Skunk Anansie fame's) biography and that was very interesting. Didn't know a lot about her to be honest but it was an interesting read. 

I started that a few years ago. It remember it as pretty good but i did abandon it half way through and I can't remember why. Should maybe give it another go

Just now, philipsteak said:

I started that a few years ago. It remember it as pretty good but i did abandon it half way through and I can't remember why. Should maybe give it another go

It took me a while to get going but I did enjoy it. Gave it 4 stars. My friend gave it 5. I think I dropped it a star because it took me a while to get into. 

On 4/12/2022 at 9:42 AM, Haan said:

My favourite book. Heller essentially creates a classic out of one joke, which is funny at first, then becomes unfunny before becoming ludicrous and hilarious. 

30 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

My favourite book. Heller essentially creates a classic out of one joke, which is funny at first, then becomes unfunny before becoming ludicrous and hilarious. 

I've never read it but you have made it sound a lot like the Coen Brothers film Burn After Reading which I loved but I know many hated. 

On 4/12/2022 at 9:42 AM, Haan said:

What a wonderful position to be in reading Pratchett for the first time! Enjoy all the others. 😄

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

Absolutely lost it at the ants in my eyes conversation, the priest guy seeing a naked Yossarian on a tree and thinking it was an angel of some sort and him being accused of stealing a tomato. Just could not wrap my head around the insane amount of new characters being introduced at every chapter. Great book though.

Edited by Haan

25 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

What a wonderful position to be in reading Pratchett for the first time! Enjoy all the others. 😄

Thanks! I'm on "Going Postal" now (just picking up whatever they have in the library, I saw that you don't really need to read them all in order).

45 minutes ago, Haan said:

Thanks! I'm on "Going Postal" now (just picking up whatever they have in the library, I saw that you don't really need to read them all in order).

Always great to see someone discover Terry Pratchett! I'm currently building a library of the new(ish) hardback editions, up as far as Thief of Time. Have bought a print of Unseen University to be framed as a backdrop to the shelving. 

I've never actually read any of the TIffany Aching novels so looking forward to them in the winter. 

Hope you enjoy exploring Discworld and its many delights, customs and hey-nonny-nonny all over the place! 

7 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’m enjoying Mick Herron’s Slough House. I’ve struggled before, despite his excellent reputation, to get into his books but I’m on board now. 

I'd never heard of him until the TV show came out, which I'm loving. It ain't reinventing the wheel but what it's doing it's doing very well. Gary Oldman is absolutely Gary Oldmaning the shit out of his role. 

To bring it back on topic, I might have to give the books a try 

I've recently been reading again, something that I can't do when the black dog is about.  Just finished the expanse series (fantastic read, kept me gripped right to the end) and decided to check out Andy Weir's Project Hail Mary as I'd seen many enthusiastic recommendations.  It's got as much charm and humour as The Martian, really enjoying it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 3:18 PM, Neil said:

just asked my librarian wife to get me that after hearing Lemn talk about it on five live this afternoon, which had me in floods of tears, such an awful thing to happen to someone, how he was treated by his adopted parents, w*nkers.

just read this, its incredibly sad that people can treat a child like that. i want to go watch Lemn perform now.

• 1 month later...

Currently on book two (The Dark Forest) of the 'Remembrance of Earth's Past' trilogy by Chinese author Liu Cixin.

Cosmic Sci-Fi type stuff, it's chugging along quite well, I am considering taking it to the farm but usually aren't in a fit state to concentrate on reading 😆